Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
I am still waiting on my optic and side rails to arrive. And, I still need Sierra Papa to call me back, so I can order another extended charging handle....

But, I just picked it up :D

Looks like a lot of fun to me and that is a problem.:mad: Just kidding. I was unfamiliar so watched youtube to learn about the CX4 and thought I might need one for the wife to protect the homestead.

That was before I saw the Ruger PC9 which seems to be a good match for me since I have 9mm Glock mags of all sizes that will make it cheaper to own. The other thing I did not know is that the PC9 has a quick take-down feature which makes it a largish back pack gun. Buds has the CX4 for $800 and the PC9 for$560 so there is that to consider.
Either way, a 9mm carbine will be mine for Christmas and I will be Santa and the happy old guy getting the new toy.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
A good friend is purchasing an "overlap" firearm that has spent too much time in the safe for my liking. The proceeds will nearly cover the PC9 purchase so no harm, no foul, going to order the Ruger on Monday. Probably need to procure some more rounds to feed it. I guess I could have worse habits, but they might be less expensive.;)

·
Super Moderator
12,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a lot of fun to me and that is a problem.:mad: Just kidding. I was unfamiliar so watched youtube to learn about the CX4 and thought I might need one for the wife to protect the homestead.

That was before I saw the Ruger PC9 which seems to be a good match for me since I have 9mm Glock mags of all sizes that will make it cheaper to own. The other thing I did not know is that the PC9 has a quick take-down feature which makes it a largish back pack gun. Buds has the CX4 for $800 and the PC9 for$560 so there is that to consider.
Either way, a 9mm carbine will be mine for Christmas and I will be Santa and the happy old guy getting the new toy.
Well, be aware of a few things... I too was looking at the CX4 versus the Ruger carbine. I love my CX4. And, I wanted another 9mm carbine. I wanted one for a vehicle gun. But, I also debated about spending the extra money on the Beretta... Basically, I wanted another Beretta carbine, but didn't want to pay that much....

To me, the CX4 is better, because the gun is shorter and lighter than the Ruger. Also, some of the controls on the CX4 works like a handgun. The bolt release works just like the slide release on a pistol. Same with the mag release... I like the position of everything.

I watched a lot of Youtube reviews of the Ruger carbine recently. And, the cheaper cost of the Ruger was tempting. Now, while none of the youtube reviews report problems that I could see, I have seen many posts about people complaining (on other forums) about the Glock mag conversion not working well. But, after watching all the videos, I had been leaning towards the Ruger anyway. But, someone I know told me that he sees a lot of the Ruger carbines at competitions - and he has seen many of them choke when using the Glock mags conversion,

When I combined that info from him from some thing I've read on other gun forums, I decided to pass on the Ruger in the end. So, I sucked it up and spent the extra money for the Beretta.

I have tons of Beretta mags, and I am familiar with the gun already.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Well, be aware of a few things... I too was looking at the CX4 versus the Ruger carbine. I love my CX4. And, I wanted another 9mm carbine. I wanted one for a vehicle gun. But, I also debated about spending the extra money on the Beretta... Basically, I wanted another Beretta carbine, but didn't want to pay that much....

To me, the CX4 is better, because the gun is shorter and lighter than the Ruger. Also, some of the controls on the CX4 works like a handgun. The bolt release works just like the slide release on a pistol. Same with the mag release... I like the position of everything.

I watched a lot of Youtube reviews of the Ruger carbine recently. And, the cheaper cost of the Ruger was tempting. Now, while none of the youtube reviews report problems that I could see, I have seen many posts about people complaining (on other forums) about the Glock mag conversion not working well. But, after watching all the videos, I had been leaning towards the Ruger anyway. But, someone I know told me that he sees a lot of the Ruger carbines at competitions - and he has seen many of them choke when using the Glock mags conversion,

When I combined that info from him from some thing I've read on other gun forums, I decided to pass on the Ruger in the end. So, I sucked it up and spent the extra money for the Beretta.

I have tons of Beretta mags, and I am familiar with the gun already.
I might have watched almost an hour of reviews on the Ruger and I saw the good and bad and think that I will take a gamble on the PC9. With Ruger I doubt there will be a problem that can not be resolved. I have been a 10/22 guy for 50 years. The PC9 reminds me a lot of the 10/22.
When I get it and try it out I will post on it. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
12,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think Hi Point makes a pistol caliber carbine. They are cheap but I'm told they work. Anybody know of reliability problems with them?

Sam

Many, many years ago - I had a friend with one. His always worked. I have heard nothing but good things about them. But, it is a hi point. And, pretty much every gun I buy is a potential self defense gun. Despite what I have heard, I am not going to buy a hi point. Sorry.

Just like optics on a self defense carbine. I only buy milspec optics. The optic on my black CX4 cost almost as much as the CX4 does.

·
Super Moderator
12,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I might have watched almost an hour of reviews on the Ruger and I saw the good and bad and think that I will take a gamble on the PC9. With Ruger I doubt there will be a problem that can not be resolved. I have been a 10/22 guy for 50 years. The PC9 reminds me a lot of the 10/22.
When I get it and try it out I will post on it. :cool:
Well, for me, I would have to learn the controls for the mag release and the bolt release. Apparently the bolt release on the Ruger is operated by the off hand (left). It's towards the front of the gun, from what I saw on the videos.. I had two CX4s long ago, and 2 now. So this FDE is really my 4th CX4 I have owned. I can operate it with my eyes closed. I know it well.

The only thing for me, that the Ruger had going for it, was the cost and the take down ability. As a vehicle gun, the takedown aspect was cool. On the flip side - if I needed it quickly, it takes time to reassemble as opposed to just taking it out the bag and charging it.

I have neck and shoulder issues. So, the extra pound+ on the Ruger was also a negative. And, I prefer the shorter length as well.

But, let me know what you think. In the end, I just knew that if I got the Ruger... Even if it worked 100%, I would have wished I had gotten another CX4 instead

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
In Hickoks' first PC9 video, the gun failed continuously, n o matter the magazine or ammo. I was discouraged by that. In his second PC9 video the replacement PC9 ran like a champ. Very accurate and reliable. I may buy locally so I can easily get service on it if necessary.
BTW, the CX4 reviews were mostly very positive.;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think Hi Point makes a pistol caliber carbine. They are cheap but I'm told they work. Anybody know of reliability problems with them?

Sam
Hi-Point has made a carbine for a long time. Uses single stack mags. They are cheap and they work most of the time. Magazines seem to be a weak point. Good mags make a big difference In reliability with the Hi-Point. Used to go to monthly competitions where a guy ran one every month. You could see his learning curve with it. First competition he had multiple jams and problems. Second time he had sent it back for warranty work. It ran better, but he still had problems with some mags. Third month he had figured out his bad mags and replaced them. Thing ran fine after that.

some folks would have given up on it after the first or second month.

They are budget guns for a reason. Doesn’t mean they can’t be made To work, but expectations of having some issues to work through or around, should not be unexpected.

·
Super Moderator
12,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In Hickoks' first PC9 video, the gun failed continuously, n o matter the magazine or ammo. I was discouraged by that. In his second PC9 video the replacement PC9 ran like a champ. Very accurate and reliable. I may buy locally so I can easily get service on it if necessary.
BTW, the CX4 reviews were mostly very positive.;)
What optic are you going to get?

I have another Mepro 21 coming for this new CX4. Battery free, so it can deal with the 160+ temp inside of a vehicle in a Texas summer.

I have owned 7 Mepro 21s with the triangle reticle over the years. So, I am very familiar with them.

I have a Sig Romeo 8T on my black one. Only true milspec Sig optic they sell. It costs almost as much as the CX4 it is mounted on.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
I have a dot sight in the archives that might work, but I will wait until I get it in my hands to see what the cheek weld feels and looks like. If my eye does not naturally align with the sight picture then I will find a setup that does.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on the PC9. It is a takedown model with a fluted 16" cold hammer forged threaded barrel. I suppose it will be here in eight or ten days.
Speaking of optics I do have a very nice Leupold Vari-X 3x9 scope that is just back from a freshen up in Beaverton Oregon. Might get me by until I know what the gun wants.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Yeah, me too...just got to get it by the wife. This can be like walking on kinds thinner ice at times. :confused:
My wife :"Can you get ammo and magazines for it?"
Me : "Already own both Honey."
My wife :"When does it get here?"
Me :"Do you want me to take the free shipping?"
My wife :"I guess, if you have too."
Me :"I love you baby!";)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like the FDE color, gives it a whole different look. I too went with the CX4 because of its compact size and handgun like controls which makes it very easy to operate. I've had it for a long time, about 15 years and its never had any failures, so its turned out to be a great choice for a PCC.

Since I'm a south paw, I also like the ambi controls and the ability to easily move the charging handle to either side. Or, I actually added a 2nd charging handle so it has one on each side. Here's an old pic of it all dressed up, it no longer has the barrel shroud or laser attached. The Vortex Red/green dot has been on it for all 15 years too and has held up well. Mounted on the low rings allows it to co-witness with the stock sights.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts