Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Administrator
14,301 Posts
Don't remember mine being snappy....guess I need to pull it out and take it to the range. Think I'll do that next trip.
I believe mine was made in Italy?...I'll take a look - when- I can dig it out.

All of the Cheetah series were made in Italy.

Yes, you should go try it again. Unless you have one of the 32 ACP versions, the Cheetah series in 380 has quite a snap. I wish they were locked breech instead of blowback in design.

· Registered
111 Posts
Don't remember mine being snappy....guess I need to pull it out and take it to the range. Think I'll do that next trip.
I believe mine was made in Italy?...I'll take a look - when- I can dig it out.
Some of the Berettat 80 series are locked breech (Browning Hi-Power style with the tilting barrel) which reduce recoil. The two 80 series that I shot were both heavier pistols as well as locked breech.

· Registered
662 Posts
I’m actually probably in the minority, but I find the single stack version to be a nicer fit and profile overall. When electing to go with .380 it is often for size. The thick frame on the double stack just seemed counterintuitive to me along with the feel in my hand. Maybe Beretta did it is because the single stack isn’t exactly ”slender” anyway, but…

Also not sure I want a rail on a .380 for the same reason. Trying to make a .380 into a “tactical” pistol seems off to me unless one lives in a place with government restrictions on civilian calibers.

· Administrator
14,301 Posts
I’m actually probably in the minority, but I find the single stack version to be a nicer fit and profile overall. When electing to go with .380 it is often for size. The thick frame on the double stack just seemed counterintuitive to me along with the feel in my hand. Maybe Beretta did it is because the single stack isn’t exactly ”slender” anyway, but…

Also not sure I want a rail on a .380 for the same reason. Trying to make a .380 into a “tactical” pistol seems off to me unless one lives in a place with government restrictions on civilian calibers.
Well, that is why I bought the 85 over the 84, years ago. I liked the thinner one too. But that thinner profile just killed that bottom thumb joint in the web of my hand. I had to stop after 50 rounds. The wider backstrap may have made a difference, maybe it wouldn't have. I have smaller hands that are pretty skinny. Someone with fatter hands probably would not have had an issue.

· Administrator
14,301 Posts
After shooting a PPK clone and my LCP for years, I find even the Beretta 85 to be very comfortable to shoot.
I have an LCP. Yes, it isn't pleasant. But, to me, it was still better than the 85. As I stated above in post #14, it just didn't work for my thumb at all.

I also find 9mms recoil less than the Cheetah. So, if one compares that alone - then what's the point? But, in that last video I posted, the DA trigger weight sounds great. IF it recoils less than the original, then I might be interested in it. I like the looks of that launch edition one.

· Registered
111 Posts
These little guns are pretty snappy, as they are blowback. I once had an 85, and it kicked more than a 9mm, IMHO. So, as awesome as these look, I'm not going down that road again.
I love Beretta's classic design also and the 85, in single or double stack, is a wonderful pistol.
The blowback design is rough on me. As you said, I find the felt recoil worst than a breechlock in 9mm.
Every few 380s are made with a breechlock lock design. The P365 in .380ACP is a breechlock and is a softer shooter than the 9mm P365.
I do want to shoot the 80X to see how the felt recoil is for me. Also to see how hard it is to rack the slide.

· Registered
111 Posts
I have an LCP. Yes, it isn't pleasant. But, to me, it was still better than the 85. As I stated above in post #14, it just didn't work for my thumb at all.

I also find 9mms recoil less than the Cheetah. So, if one compares that alone - then what's the point? But, in that last video I posted, the DA trigger weight sounds great. IF it recoils less than the original, then I might be interested in it. I like the looks of that launch edition one.
Size -- the Cheetah is smaller than the 92 series.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts