·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Where can you find ammo to feed it?

Reactions: berettatoter

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I bought my FN 5.7 years ago Shipwreck gave me some good advice and pointed me in the right direction for ammo. Don't shoot my FN much so I still have a decent amount.

FN & Fiocchi recently partnered up on manufacturing 5.7x28 for the U.S. market. Hopefully in the near future there will be some price decrease.

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reminds me of the sub 2000. i have the Ruger pistol in 5.7.

i like to shoot it but the ammo is crazy priced. so it don't get shot much.
Ammo prices are what has kept me away from the newest version of the Five Seven that just came out (by FN). I did own a Five Seven over a decade ago, as well as a few PS90s...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Where can you find ammo to feed it?
FN (the creator of the round) and Federal make this round. I have read of another company.
LGSs in my area are getting it in. Since, very few people own the FN, Ruger, and PSA 5.7 pistols, it sits on the shelves until I buy it.
I saw the Ruger 5.7 Carbine and put it on lay-a-way. I do watch the reviews before I did this. Having the Ruger 57 and other Ruger pistols over the years, I am aware of their QA and First Model issues but I know, despite any frustrations, Ruger does stand behind their products.
The Ruger 57 Carbine use the same mags as the Ruger 57 pistol which is much better the FN mags used on the PS90, the AR57, and a newer 57 assembled upper that I have seen advertised.

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do yourself a favor and skip the Federal round. It is horrible. The rounds come off the casings a lot, and are inconsistently loaded. The FN branded ammo is more reliable. The most reliable is the stuff made in Belgium (like the 198 ammo). If I remember right, the 197 is loaded by Fiocchi here in the USA). And, I will tell you, it is loaded inconsistently as well. You will get different recoil impulses from round to round.

This is discussed at the FN Forum a lot.

The problem is that 198 ammo is super expensive right now. Back when I had my last PS90, I had a ton of the stuff.

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 100 rounds of it, never fired any. all i ever shot was the FN stuff. i bought this federal cause it was cheaper and was going to buy more, maybe not now. lol
I wouldn't.

I have used it before. It is terrible.

I used to own 3 PS90s and a Five Sven, and I used to be the FN Forum admin. Seen tons of issues with it, and have personal experience with it. Save your money and get the FN ammo

·
Registered
135 Posts
I appreciate the info, i will shoot the 100 i have and stick with the FN stuff. seems like other companies would start making it. guess if it got really popular they might. i know it took a while for others to start making the 224 Valkyrie.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I've shot the F&N 5.7 pistol. Anything in a carbine must have 0 recoil. Flat shooting round. Would I chose a Beretta 9mm carbine over a Ruger 5.7 carbine. Yes. Would I choose a .556/.223 over both, yes again.;):) Truth be told I'm not much of a Ruger fan, especially after the mini 14, I had, most inaccurate rifle I had ever owned. I Haven't shot their 5.7 offerings though.

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've shot the F&N 5.7 pistol. Anything in a carbine must have 0 recoil. Flat shooting round. Would I chose a Beretta 9mm carbine over a Ruger 5.7 carbine. Yes. Would I choose a .556/.223 over both, yes again.;):) Truth be told I'm not much of a Ruger fan, especially after the mini 14, I had, most inaccurate rifle I had ever owned. I Haven't shot their 5.7 offerings though.

I have owned several PS90s over the years. The gun (with the 5.7 round) feels like a 22 rifle when you shoot it. You still have the motion of the bolt moving that will give some recoil.

I personally would not want to shoot 5.55/223 ammo indoors in a self defense situation... So, pistol caliber carbines are great for that use, IMHO. Yes, all guns are loud - but shooting off an AR type weapon inside with no hearing protection... Wow. No thanks.... Especially if you have a muzzle break on the thing (not a flash hider, but a muzzle break).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts