Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread to discuss negligent discharges. Mainly the causes and how to prevent them. Have you ever had or seen one that was easily preventable? I've had one with a heavily modified 1911. The trigger was so light that I swear you could have fired the gun with a good shake. That being said, my finger was on the trigger when it should not have been so it's on me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had one also. Got lazy and didn't clear the gun. Racked the slide and pulled the trigger. Shot a hole thru my workbench and into my golf clubs. Bullet ruined my 7 & 8 irons and stopped against the shaft of my pitching wedge.

·
Banned
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's easy to get complacent about guns when you spend a lot of time around them. I do my best to stay in the habit of taking a half second to kind of internally yell at myself "STOP! THINK!" when I am about to handle one. It has been a good habit so far and seems to work.

·
Banned
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had one also. Got lazy and didn't clear the gun. Racked the slide and pulled the trigger. Shot a hole thru my workbench and into my golf clubs. Bullet ruined my 7 & 8 irons and stopped against the shaft of my pitching wedge.
At least you had a laugh on the golf course when you had to explain why you were using your 9 iron so much..

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Two of my friends were "road hunting" deer in an old Dodge pickup many years back and the fact that there was an uncased loaded center fire rifle in the truck made it quite illegal. The dumbass in the drivers seat sent a .308 round through the passenger floor that took out the fuel line and the right front tire at 55 mph. They didn't mention it to me for at least a decade when they had both been drinking beer.
I can't imagine how loud that .308 was in a pickup cab.o_O

·
Supporting Member
5,658 Posts
A 22 rim fire will ignite driving down the highway throwing them forcefully to the pavement from the drivers window.
Would that be a negligent discharge if I did it purposely ?
:eek:

·
Supporting Member
5,658 Posts
I'm starting this thread to discuss negligent discharges. Mainly the causes and how to prevent them. Have you ever had or seen one that was easily preventable? I've had one with a heavily modified 1911. The trigger was so light that I swear you could have fired the gun with a good shake. That being said, my finger was on the trigger when it should not have been so it's on me.
I over sensitized a revolver trigger cocked in single action. It was scary sensitive, lol.

What did you end up doing with the 1911 you modified ?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Did you yell "Fore". "Fore!", originally a Scots interjection, is used to warn anyone standing or moving in the flight of a a bullet or golf ball.[1]

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
All of Glock NDs regarding a drop that's I've heard of is someone trying to catch it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Was that the FBI agent break dancing in Colorado?

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I've never heard of a Glock going off when dropped.

Can A Glock Fire When Dropped? - Aiming Expert
aimingexpert.com › can-a-glock-fire-when-dropped
Lastly, the reason a Glock won’t fire when dropped is because of the drop safety feature. The drop safety is a mechanical bar that blocks the firing pin from moving forward. This means the bullet cannot be fired. The drop safety is also attached to the trigger safety.

·
Administrator
4,177 Posts
I've never heard of a Glock going off when dropped.

Can A Glock Fire When Dropped? - Aiming Expert
aimingexpert.com › can-a-glock-fire-when-dropped
Lastly, the reason a Glock won’t fire when dropped is because of the drop safety feature. The drop safety is a mechanical bar that blocks the firing pin from moving forward. This means the bullet cannot be fired. The drop safety is also attached to the trigger safety.
Some aftermarket parts (Zev) have a nasty habit of negating the FPB.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Some aftermarket parts (Zev) have a nasty habit of negating the FPB.

Probably because they sell lighter Firing Pin Block springs? But I still can't see how that would affect it without the trigger being fully depressed? As the trigger safety would prevent the trigger from being fully depressed. Without the trigger being fully depressed the trigger bar would not go back far enough to deactivate the Firing Pin Block. The trigger bar would also remain raised at the rear where it comes into contact with the striker preventing it from going forward. I guess the only way it could possibly go off when dropped is if the trigger safety was somehow disengaged, broken or the trigger safety spring was missing ? But what are the chances of that?

On the animated video below click on "take the tour" then click on"Glock safeties". Each click of the right hand arrow goes through each step highlighting the different components and how they relate to each other.

Handgun Animations

·
Administrator
4,177 Posts
Probably because they sell lighter Firing Pin Block springs? But I still can't see how that would affect it without the trigger being fully depressed? As the trigger safety would prevent the trigger from being fully depressed. Without the trigger being fully depressed the trigger bar would not go back far enough to deactivate the Firing Pin Block. The trigger bar would also remain raised at the rear where it comes into contact with the striker preventing it from going forward. I guess the only way it could possibly go off when dropped is if the trigger safety was somehow disengaged, broken or the trigger safety spring was missing ? But what are the chances of that?

On the animated video below click on "take the tour" then click on"Glock safeties". Each click of the right hand arrow goes through each step highlighting the different components and how they relate to each other.

Handgun Animations

There's multiple other instances of issues.

Maybe Zev needs to review how the safety is supposed to work.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This deal with the FBI agent break dancing wth the Glock accidental discharge is hard to believe. As an old GF would say, "Your story is touching but it sounds suspiciously like a lie."

1 - 20 of 33 Posts