Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL!!

I know that this kind of question has been asked and answered a million times, but figuring hand gun choice is a very personal decision, I have to ask it anyway.

I post in the New To Handguns Area because it's been 28+ years since I was in the service and I'm assuming a lot has changed.

I'm looking for a "first" pistol. Again, it not really my first, but it's been so long it might as well be. In the 1970s/early 80's I owned an S&W 9mm, and carried a S&W .38 service weapon as air crew on a couple of different Air Force aircraft. I fired expert with the .38 and M16 back in the day. (note that, that means squat, but I thought I'd brag a little. sorry)

The last couple of weeks has been spent been researching a lot and it's time to start asking for some help. I took a hand gun safety course a few months back just for fun and to do a little shooting. In that class I shot 1911 .45 and loved it. Today I took my son (24) down to the range and he and I retook the course with the same instructors and rented 3 guns. M&P Shield, P226 and P2022. All in 9MM. I was most accurate with the Shield despite it being a carry weapon.

Going to go rent next week again, and try 3 more. I'm ultimately in the market for 2 guns. 1st will a home defense weapon and something I can go shoot at the range. Later one for a CCW weapon. So for now I'll be sticking to full frame weapons. I also may end up with a 3rd, if the wife decides she likes it after I get her into a safety class and she can shoot a little.

Anyway, back to rentals. I liked the P2022 more than the P226. Next to try are going to be probably the XD, M&P, and Glock 17. Again all in 9mm. NOTE: I think I'm going to stick with 9mm to start. If the wife takes it up, she'll be more comfortable with a less snappy recoil, and I'd like to keep to a single caliber for simplicity sake. (IF THATS TOTAL BOGUS THINKING PLEASE SAY SO!!).

With all that being said, any other highly suggested guns I should think about. One thing to keep in mind, I'm a pretty good sized guy and have large hands.

Any how, Thanks for listening and any suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
First off, thank you for your service! Secondly, if your like me with large hands, I prefer a pistol that is a little on the larger size than most would carry. I had a SP2022, but it was in .40 S&W...it shot well and carried fine IF you invested in a good quality holster and belt. No matter what you decide on, make sure you invest in a good holster and a better belt...this seems to be the biggest mistake people make. I have been carrying concealed since I got out of the Marines back in 87', so I have learned the hard way about crappy equipment.

The S&W Shield is a fine weapon, I have one in 9mm. I have had it for about ten months now, and have ran about 500 rounds with it. It has functioned 99% so far...had a few bobbles with 147 grain Winchesters, but everything else has ran 100%, both FMJ and JHP's.

We are lucky now to have such a selection in handguns now, and most of them are solid choices. Sounds like you are doing your homework, and being able to rent them to shoot first is a big help. When you decide on your gun, post up some pics...we like those here! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Try shooting a Ruger SR9. They are really well made, and can be had at a decent price. I know you have restrictions on what California will allow in there, and the list may be limited. The Shlled wouldn't be a bad choice if you liked it. You can also find 1911s chambered in 9mm from many manufacturers.

berrettatoter makes some great points!!

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Try shooting a Ruger SR9. They are really well made, and can be had at a decent price. I know you have restrictions on what California will allow in there, and the list may be limited. The Shlled wouldn't be a bad choice if you liked it. You can also find 1911s chambered in 9mm from many manufacturers.

berrettatoter makes some great points!!
Aww shucks! Lol. Well, berettatoter tried to do the "cheap" rout, back when he was a newbie carrier...epic fail. Now, like the PT 92 AF the wife bought me for Christmas, I spent another 60 dollars on another 5.11 gun belt, and another 72 dollars on the Bianchi OWB leather to carry that pig in! :smt033

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
You're off to a good start with firing different makes at the range. The one for you would probably be the one that you can handle the best and get the best target grouping.
Wife might need a smaller frame gun, having her shoot at the range will help her determine what she can use to best effect.
Review the laws in your state pertaining to defensive use of a firearm and regarding concealed carry. (ask at the range to see if there are any legal education classes in the area for handgun owners.)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think you have a very realistic approach to your situation. One of the best thought through I've seen.

1) There are MANY full size 9mm pistols out there that will do the job for home defense. Since you've chosen 9mm I'll certainly second the Ruger SR9. High value, low dollar gun like all Ruger products. I read a large Ruger forum every day and the SR9 family (full size and compact) are very reliable and strong like bull. You can't go wrong with a Ruger, certainly for the price. You'll NEVER wear it out. There is also a SR40 which is a very slightly larger gun (slightly bigger slide).

2) 1911's are more popular than ever. In fact I use a 'commander' size 1911 for my carry weapon. However, for the average home defender I think the SR9 is a better choice.

3) If/When you get to a carry weapon you could certainly use a SR9c (compact) model. The barrel is shorter and the grip is shorter (less rounds) BUT you can put the bigger/longer mag from the full size (see above) in it too and then it will feel/shoot just like a standard SR9. So in a way you have the best of both worlds and you only have to learn ONE trigger and maintain ONE type of gun.

4) I'm a big guy with big hands too and I've always liked the feel of the SR family. Aftermarket holsters and sites are available too unlike some guns with smaller production runs.

Good Luck!
USAF 71-74, F-4's
Luke, Kunsan, Korat, Holloman.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all.

I will put the Ruger on my list to try out. I had not thought about the Rugers before. Probably in built bias based on an old Ruger .22lr I had as a kid.

The Taurus doesn't appear to have many guns on the CA list, or our best local gun dealer doesn't have many anyway. I'll see what they have at the range.

***Off Topic***

Spike, thank you for your service. Btw, I know Kunsan well. Many nights out in the 'ville there while on TDYs. My daughter lives just north of Luke.

BerettaToter, also, thank you for your service. If you separated in '87, I'd bet we could spend a bit of time playing "where you there". I separated in '87 as well. The last 5 years of my time in I was stationed in Clark AB RPI, but I was deployed or on TDY about 11 months a year, and 80% of that was in support of some Marine operation.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Supporting Member
5,708 Posts
I would IMO look seriously at the DA/SA design as in the sig 226.

It's a safer design IMO.

Imagine cocking back the trigger on your old smith wheel gun and bolstering the gun cocked,, that resembles many striker fired handguns already in the fully cocked or partially cocked position.

There is nothing wrong with the internal striker fired platform, just be aware of what you have in choosing your handgun.

The old saying just keep your finger off the trigger is a very weak justification for a potential accident.

Remember, you have to weigh the percentages of a possible self defense action verses the odds of a potential accidental/ negligent discharge.

Good luck in your choice,
:smt1099

·
Registered
715 Posts
thanks for your service. glad you are back in the fold

I am NOT a fan of the 2022. that said I LOVE my Sig p225. I am really a striker fired CCW to be honest though

presently (9month carry) is a glock 19. for summer carry a walther ccp or a S+W shield or a SA XD-s(all 9mm)

for the range I LOVE walthers ppq(some carry it too) and the HK VP9. lot of choices. You need to find what is reliable , what fits your hands and your sons, in your state what is approved ,of course) and rent them until one stands out to you both

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Thank you all.

I will put the Ruger on my list to try out. I had not thought about the Rugers before. Probably in built bias based on an old Ruger .22lr I had as a kid.

The Taurus doesn't appear to have many guns on the CA list, or our best local gun dealer doesn't have many anyway. I'll see what they have at the range.

***Off Topic***

Spike, thank you for your service. Btw, I know Kunsan well. Many nights out in the 'ville there while on TDYs. My daughter lives just north of Luke.

BerettaToter, also, thank you for your service. If you separated in '87, I'd bet we could spend a bit of time playing "where you there". I separated in '87 as well. The last 5 years of my time in I was stationed in Clark AB RPI, but I was deployed or on TDY about 11 months a year, and 80% of that was in support of some Marine operation.

Thanks,
Steve
I don't know what type of gun to recommend to you other than staying away from Taurus. There have been just too many issues with them. You can't go wrong with HK, Glock, Sig, FNH, S&W, Ruger, CZ, Colt, or Springfield. Just pick one of those that feels right for you. Only you can decide that.

If at all possible you might want to consider getting out of California. The situation there regarding the 2nd Amendment will only get worse. Arizona where I am is just across the Colorado River. You can own just about any type of firearm that your heart's desire. No waiting periods, no lists, no registration. You can walk into a gun store fill out Form 4473 they run a NICS check and out the door you go. If you have a Concealed Weapons Permit. The NICS check is waived. CWP's however are optional and not required by law to carry either openly or concealed in Arizona.

·
Supporting Member
5,708 Posts
M
I don't know what type of gun to recommend to you other than staying away from Taurus. There have been just too many issues with them. You can't go wrong with HK, Glock, Sig, S&W, Ruger, CZ, Colt, or Springfield.

If at all possible you might want to consider getting out of California. The situation there regarding the 2nd Amendment will only get worse. Arizona where I am is just across the Colorado River. You can own just about any type of firearm that your heart's desire. No waiting periods, no lists, no registration. You can walk into a gun store fill out Form 4473 they run a NICS check and out the door you go. If you have a Concealed Weapons Permit. The NICS check is waived. CWP's however are optional and not required by law to carry either openly or concealed in Arizona.
He's not asking for a change of address or a rental U haul,lol,

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Here we go that ARIZONA CRAP AGAIN
Sorry, "pic" it is what it is. Don't know where you live but you sound envious. Moving from So Cal to Arizona is really not a big deal. People can stay close to their friends and family and at the same time enjoy all of the freedoms we have in one of America's last bastions of freedom. I'm proud of my state and of the people who have kept it that way.

·
Supporting Member
5,708 Posts
Sorry, "pic" it is what it is. Don't know where you live but you sound envious. Moving from So Cal to Arizona is really not a big deal. People can stay close to their friends and family and at the same time enjoy all of the freedoms we have in one of America's last bastions of freedom. I'm proud of my state and of the people who have kept it that way.
Of course I'm envious,, just messing with ya,:smt1099

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
My recommendation for moving to another state.. I would start sending people to a couple of those electoral swing states.

Get our man "CRUZ" elected
I'll go along with that 1000%! Not a bad idea regarding the swing states. As people move from California, New York, New Jersey, Illinois, all the anti gun states. Those states will subsequently lose electoral votes. New York has already lost two electoral votes and two congressional seats due to out migration.

PRINCETON, NJ -- Each of the 10 states losing congressional seats as a result of the newly announced 2010 census reapportionment process is politically Democratic, based on a Gallup political identification measure from the first six months of this year. Five of the eight states gaining seats skew Republican.--http://www.gallup.com/poll/145397/States-Losing-Congressional-Seats-Tilt-Democratic.aspx
This can only be good news as far as our side is concerned. California is a lost cause, too many illegal invaders moving in to replace those moving out. It wouldn't surprise me if their state government looks the other way, counts them as citizens and allows them to vote.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So new to the forums I was not sure how fast the threads would turn into political debates. Not as soon as I would have assumed.

Let me respond to a couple of thoughts and statements. First re: CA. Ya, if I had any choice in the matter I'd be back home in Texas. Unfortunately it just isn't in the cards at the moment. Ultimate goal is to move up to Alaska for summers and Winter in West Texas, but I doubt either will actually happen. So it's CA laws I have to abide by whether I like them or not.

Another comment somewhere along the line is an amendment for CCW nation wide. While I 100% agree that we need reasonable CCW laws and they need to be consistent, I am 100% against any federal government initiatives that force states to do something they do not want to do. That's one of the biggest problems we have is the Supremes are constantly over turning laws the voters of states are enacting. This should be under the governance of each state.

NOW back to fire arms....

Someone on another thread recommended that I stick with Hammer Fired weapons as they are safer. Then I see other people saying that Striker Fired is the safer. I did some searching here and there's some back and forth, but it's not as contentious discussion as I would have thought. I mean, Mac/Windows, IOS/Android, etc spark more debate. Sheesh.

I did find an article about the LASD and that when they switched to Striker Fired their accidental discharge rate went from 12 to 30 in one year. The consensus in the article was because of the lack of training available and that officers were reverting to priori learning under stress situations. eg, they were retrained from "On Target, On Trigger", to on trigger when "Ready to Fire", but when under stress they fell back on training and were not prepared for the reduced trigger pull of the first shot on the M&Ps.

All of that makes sense. But here I am all but new to hand guns after such a long lay off. My thought here is that I'd be better off with one or the other, either a Striker or Hammer, but NOT both. No matter which weapon i get my hand on, they both act the same way.

If that is logical, then it would seem that the Striker is the way to go, since the compact (Shield, XD Mod.2, Glock 19) are all striker. So far it seems like it's easier to find full frame striker than small frame hammer.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.