Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am new to handguns and looking to buy my first gun for self defence. I will not be concealing so I am looking for something compact in size. I am considering the CZ P10c, Glock 19 (gen 3), Beretta APX Centurion and the Canik TP9sf Elite. Thus far I have shot 3 of the 4 handguns and I also shot the Canik TP9sf Elite SC which I am told is very similar to its big brother.

My experience with shooting (less than 50 rounds each) thus far is as follows:
• Glock 19 – most uncomfortable ergonomics but surprisingly good shooting gun. Worst sights out of the box so will probably cost extra to change.
• Beretta APX Centurion – most ergonomic of them all. A bit top heavy but very flat shooting and manageable recoil.
• CZ P10c – very aggressive texturing. Can’t seem to shoot it very accurately (could be due to the aggressive texture) and the slide release is very stiff.
• Canik TP9sf Elite SC – fits great in the hand. Hell of a lot of recoil due to higher bore axis. Not sure if the big brother will be a softer shooter. Best value by far.

I know that every gun is different for every individual but I would like to know if anyone has went through something similar with similar models and if they can provide advice on how they chose. I would also like to know if anyone on the forum owns a Canik TP9sf Elite and what their experience has been thus far, as I feel this gun provides the most bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
You will learn that your favorite handgun will change over time. You don't even want to know how many guns I have owned over the past 30 years.

The more you can try, the better off you will be. If there is a place that rents guns - try several until you fine one you like. Renting guns has saved me from buying a few. And, I've bought several after trying some out. They make so many different models because so many people like different ones.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Been owning and shooting guns since April 1968 and I still learn things. A very dynamic interest, this gun and gun culture thing. If the gen3 Glock 19 was problematic for you but you liked it, try the gen4 and the gen5. Different grip feels and ergonomics with those gens. Also, take a look at Smith and Wesson M&P offerings as well.

And do what Shipwreck suggests. He's right about trying different guns, not hurrying through the process, and renting them at shooting ranges to try candidate offerings out.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Of those you tested it would seem like the Beretta is best for you. Ks1 has some good ones listed too, but it can be a bear try to test everything. The P320 offers different feels thru different frames and slides, calibers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of those you tested it would seem like the Beretta is best for you. Ks1 has some good ones listed too, but it can be a bear try to test everything. The P320 offers different feels thru different frames and slides, calibers
Yeah it would seem that the apx is the front runner. Definitely feels the best in my hand. However, I can't deny the Glock aftermarket sales and service. Those factors also need to be taken into consideration. The Sig is quite pricey in South Africa so out of my budget.

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
I never liked the Gen 3 Glocks. But the Gen 5s got me back into Glock. I have a Gen 5 Glock 19 that is awesome. Better trigger and more accurate barrel too. I had an APX Centurion, but I like the Gen 5 Glock 19 more. Once I got the Gen 5 Glock 19, I sold the APX.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Clothing Jeans Trousers Smile Tree

Of your list, I'd say the G19. If you decide to be a rebel, go with the G23.
If I may, give the Ruger Security9 a test ride if you can. I am about as poor a 9mm fan as there is, but I have one of them and have been more than pleased with the pistol
Happy Shopping

Reactions: Deshan

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
I am pld school abd carry a 1911a1 Sjp is right try as many different styles as possible. I bought my first handgun in 1963 at age 13 the only approval I needed was Mom. I have shot all kinds of handguns they all have their points, but in the end it is what you are comfortable with because that is what you will practice with. I will also always recommend you find a good basic pistol instructor, just to make sure you don't start having bad habits in your practice. Classes never hurt and almost always help you shoot better.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the Canik SF Elite.....and it is one awesome shooter. It is an excellent gun. I have shot only 115 gr fmj and jhp through it....and don't feel the recoil is excessive.
It's just a tad heavier than that G19~ 4 oz I believe....but the guns are different enough you don't notice it.

One thing about that Elite bares mentioning.....how you break it down and put it back. Removing the slide is different than most other guns.When you depress the little buttons on the slide to release it- then pull the slide forward about 3/4 inch and then lift it straight up off the frame. You don't pull it all the way off the muzzle end. Going back- you don't put the slide on from the muzzle end. You set it down on the frame again about 3/4 inch from the end -and it drops into place- then you pull it back about 3/4 inch and it clicks into place.
If you try to put it on from the muzzle end.....oops- you have a wreck.....and it is not okay.
Nothing WRONG with the gun...just putting the slide on and off is easy but done differently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the Canik SF Elite.....and it is one awesome shooter. It is an excellent gun. I have shot only 115 gr fmj and jhp through it....and don't feel the recoil is excessive.
It's just a tad heavier than that G19~ 4 oz I believe....but the guns are different enough you don't notice it.

One thing about that Elite bares mentioning.....how you break it down and put it back. Removing the slide is different than most other guns.When you depress the little buttons on the slide to release it- then pull the slide forward about 3/4 inch and then lift it straight up off the frame. You don't pull it all the way off the muzzle end. Going back- you don't put the slide on from the muzzle end. You set it down on the frame again about 3/4 inch from the end -and it drops into place- then you pull it back about 3/4 inch and it clicks into place.
If you try to put it on from the muzzle end.....oops- you have a wreck.....and it is not okay.
Nothing WRONG with the gun...just putting the slide on and off is easy but done differently.
Awesome, thanks for your response. Appreciate it, I really like this pistol it is budget friendly and you get the best bang for your buck. The only concern I have is aftermarket sales in South Africa. Its great now because its imported into the country only recently but I'm not sure how it will be in 5 years. That is were the Glock shines here. CZ and Beretta not to far behind either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I am new to handguns and looking to buy my first gun for self defence. I will not be concealing so I am looking for something compact in size. I am considering the CZ P10c, Glock 19 (gen 3), Beretta APX Centurion and the Canik TP9sf Elite. Thus far I have shot 3 of the 4 handguns and I also shot the Canik TP9sf Elite SC which I am told is very similar to its big brother.

• Glock 19 – most uncomfortable ergonomics but surprisingly good shooting gun. Worst sights out of the box so will probably cost extra to change.
• Beretta APX Centurion – most ergonomic of them all. A bit top heavy but very flat shooting and manageable recoil.
• CZ P10c – very aggressive texturing. Can’t seem to shoot it very accurately (could be due to the aggressive texture) and the slide release is very stiff.
• Canik TP9sf Elite SC – fits great in the hand. Hell of a lot of recoil due to higher bore axis. Not sure if the big brother will be a softer shooter. Best value by far.

I know that every gun is different for every individual but I would like to know if anyone has went through something similar with similar models and if they can provide advice on how they chose. I would also like to know if anyone on the forum owns a Canik TP9sf Elite and what their experience has been thus far, as I feel this gun provides the most bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, I have limited range time on these guns but they all have benefits. When it comes to self defense, if you are not conceal carrying, reliability and stopping power is the most important aspects. Since the caliber is an option in all pistols, I personally like the simplicity and reliability of the Glock. It just gives me a feeling of relief knowing that it will always function correctly.

If the Canik feels comfortable in the hand for you, then I suggest getting in a bit more range time with it. You may find that the excessive recoil that you are feeling with the Canik is just something that you are not used to.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I'm going to turn 70 shortly and I remember my FIRST HANDGUN, BERETTA 70S in 22lr. This was almost 50 years ago and a SELF-DEFENSE PISTOL was NOT on my RADAR. The Beretta was a GREAT first pistol for ME, CHEAP to shoot ($1.00 for 50rds). I could shoot PRACTICALLY ALL-DAY for $10.00.🤔😁👍. Since then I've had many NEAT PISTOLS. At one time I had 3 German Lugers (WWI, WWII and a commercial from the late 60's). I wasn't so worried about a defensive handgun till 2000 when I got my FIRST CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT, I'M ON MY 5th issuance NOW. MY FIRST SELF-DEFENSE PISTOL WAS A Beretta 71 Jaguar (also in 22lr), there weren't many small 9mm pistols then. I liked the Beretta Jaguar because it was small, light and RELIABLE. The Israeli MASSAD and their Air Marshals used it so to ME that was enough of a Recommendation. Check out MORE pistols. Have FUN doing so but try not to get ADDICTED to buying a lot of guns,WHATS THE HARM IF YOU CAN AFFORD AND YOU ARE A "GOOD" PERSON.🤔😁👍

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
If the use to which you intend to put your new gun is personal self defense, please keep these points paramount in your quest. They are the most important criteria for a defensive handgun. In order of importance, they are...

o Reliability. The gun must go bang every time you pull the trigger. If it is not as close to 100% reliable as possible, the next two criteria are moot points.

o Practical accuracy. The accuracy of the gun/shooter combination must be consistent and effective. If not, the last item is of no significance.

o Cartridge effectiveness. The power of the chosen caliber and load must be sufficient to end an attack as quickly as possible so that the victim may escape injury or death.

Keep these points in mind as you do your research.

·
Registered
53 Posts
you might think of a Springfield Hellcat, I say try a Springfield XDE 45acp but they stopped making them. im almost you age ill turn 70 in December. two years ago I had cataract and corrective surgery and that made a big difference
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’m 75 and bought my first handgun at age 16, it was a Smith model 53 in a caliber lots have never heard of….a .22 Jet. Google it up, very interesting. Like charlestdemay said self defense was not on my radar, but hunting rabbits and squirrels was ! No telling the number of snakes and armadillos that fell to that gun.

i guess my first self defense handgun was an S&W Model 10 in .38 special. After that, as Shipwreck said, there’s been a plethera of handguns over the next fifty years or so. My current carry pair are an S&W Shield plus and a Taurus GX4. The more I shoot the Taurus, the more I like it. The Taurus of today definitely ain’t the Taurus of yesteryear !

I’ll echo everyone elses advice, shoot as many as you can before making a decision, your life may depend on it. If I were carrying openly, weight and size be damned, I’m carrying my G20. I can actually carry it in an IWB holster about as easily as anything else, it does go bang every time, but most of all, I can shoot it !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts