Handgun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a box of Nosler Sporting Handgun HP 45cal 230grain bullets ordered from Midway for over a year. Midway finally notified me two weeks ago that they had received a shipment and I could not get the truck pulled over fast enough. I ordered a box and got them in and finally made it out in the country to test them in my special superduty extra high teck water jug testing facility. My intention was to use these slugs in my 45acp, 460 Rowland and my 45 WinMag. Well maybe this testing will keep some of you guys from wasting your money. The highly sought after Nosler Sporting slug will NOT perform at ACP speeds. Note the photos. Their website shows photos of this bullet performance from 800-1350fps. Maybe I will get better results from the Rowland and WinMag.

This is Hornady website photo info

Below photos are of Hornady 240grain XTP MAG slugs which I also picked up several months ago to use in my WinMag which will NOT work in the ACP. Hornady website indicated the MAG bullets are designed to work at speeds of 1100-2200fps. As you can see from the photos they were totally new looking when poured out of the final jug.

Please note that the Hornady 230gr XTP HP worked flawlessly with ACP.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have had a box of Nosler Sporting Handgun HP 45cal 230grain bullets ordered from Midway for over a year. Midway finally notified me two weeks ago that they had received a shipment and I could not get the truck pulled over fast enough. I ordered a box and got them in and finally made it out in the country to test them in my special superduty extra high teck water jug testing facility. My intention was to use these slugs in my 45acp, 460 Rowland and my 45 WinMag. Well maybe this testing will keep some of you guys from wasting your money. The highly sought after Nosler Sporting slug will NOT perform at ACP speeds. Note the photos. Their website shows photos of this bullet performance from 800-1350fps. Maybe I will get better results from the Rowland and WinMag.

This is Hornady website photo info

Below photos are of Hornady 240grain XTP MAG slugs which I also picked up several months ago to use in my WinMag which will NOT work in the ACP. Hornady website indicated the MAG bullets are designed to work at speeds of 1100-2200fps. As you can see from the photos they were totally new looking when poured out of the final jug.

Please note that the Hornady 230gr XTP HP worked flawlessly with ACP.
Did you test the Hornady 230 XTP against the water jug? For a true comparison I would prefer to see those pics, rather than the Hornady website pics.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
My experience with Hornady has always been that they perform as well as the more expensive bullets, whether rifle or pistol. I hand load Hornady for both, at a rate of about 3 to 1 over any other brand. Also, I've bought a lot of Midway blems, which at the time, were always Hornady. The blems were every bit as good as the Hornady branded bullets, with only very slight variations in weight that made no difference in POI when tested on the same rifles with the same charge and similar cases/primers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More interesting results today after stepping up velocities of my ACP loads to max loadings. (around 900fps) My 460 Rowland loads to about 1250fps. And 45 WinMag loads to around 1350fps. The Nosler HP has now begun to shine in all loadings. It is not a good round for minimal ACP loads. The Hornady XTP-Mag is still great load for all 460 & 45Win Mag loads. The Hornady XTP in 185 & 200 grain have been poor performers in all three ACP, Rowland and Win Mag. The only XTP worth it's weight is the XTP-Mag.

Notice above the Nosler slugs with varying cores not mushroomed. WM then 460 then ACP

Above XTP-Mag from 460

Above 3 on left are poor performing XTP 200 grain out of ACP. Far right is 230 grain Gold Dot. Best looking mushroom out of all tested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts