Handgun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s my question in a vacuum so I don’t have to repeat months of research, comparing, hand-wringing, decision changing, range rentals…
In your experience (with yourself and with others) are .45 and 9x19 the two most commonly owned ammo calibers (weapon pro/con and the great caliber debate notwithstanding) that people keep on hand? I wish to maintain the ability to fire the two most common calibers and prep for the proverbial fecal matter striking the circular oscillating device thusly. My EDC upgrade will flow naturally from that. If yes, leave it at that. If no, please state which calibers you’ve noticed or know to be the most common. I apologize if I sound churlsih; I'm trying to keep it simple. And as always, may God keep us from ever having to use our weapons.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's my question in a vacuum so I don't have to repeat months of research, comparing, hand-wringing, decision changing, range rentals…
In your experience (with yourself and with others) are .45 and 9x19 the two most commonly owned ammo calibers (weapon pro/con and the great caliber debate notwithstanding) that people keep on hand? I wish to maintain the ability to fire the two most common calibers and prep for the proverbial fecal matter striking the circular oscillating device thusly. My EDC upgrade will flow naturally from that. If yes, leave it at that. If no, please state which calibers you've noticed or know to be the most common. I apologize if I sound churlsih; I'm trying to keep it simple. And as always, may God keep us from ever having to use our weapons.
Colorful use of the SHTF nomenclature. I am diggin it.

This is my opinion. The 2 most common calibers, in my opinion, are the .22LR and the 9mm hands down. Even though I horde .22LR, I buy quantities of .357mag and .38. For a lesser amount I purchase .44 mag.

9mm is most likely the caliber at least 9 out of 10 gun owners have stored. .22LR would most likely have 100% of firearm owners having a good supply on hand.

.22LR and 9mm. That's my answer and I am sticking to it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes, I would agree that .22 long rifle and 9x19 mm (Luger, Parabellum) are probably the most common. But what is currently most common may not be the most widely available, or even available at all during an ammo scare or shortage. I suspect that many who were accustomed to buying a brick of 22LR for 10 bucks back in the day would not have predicted the .22 caliber ammunition shortage.

Most people would not consider .22LR for EDC. In my neck of the woods, when it comes to self-defense auto calibers the most common are .380 auto, 9mm Luger, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. Most common revolver calibers are undoubtedly 38 special and .357 Magnum (after .22LR).

I am not prepping for an end of the world scenario, the zombie apocalypse, a new civil war, or the complete breakdown of society. If I were I would lay in plenty of all of the above, plus 357 SIG, 5.56 x 45 mm, and 12 gauge slugs and shells.

·
Super Moderator
5,329 Posts
I think it may be .40 and 9mm nowadays.

Primarily due to the large numbers of Law Enforcement that are using (or have used in the recent past), the .40. I acknowledge the .45 ACP has been around for a long time, and that has no doubt generated a lot of ammo sales, but I think the sheer mass of the sudden and long-term LE conversion to .40 (and the non-cop "followers" who have also adopted the caliber) may have overtaken the .45 in the last two decades.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Top hand gun calibers to have for any reason or no reason at all is .22, 38spl/357 mag, 9mm, 45 acp. The .22 is the most used of all

·
Registered
13 Posts
9MM Lugar and 22LR is the most common by far. I have more of them than my 38 special and my 380. They are by far the cheapest to shoot. I shoot a lot of 22 and right much 9mm but I seldom shoot the 38 special and 380 even though I carry them more than the others.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I agree that 22LR rules by far,
especially since its also a rifle cartridge and top choice for youth.

9x19 [9mm Para] would be second.

Third may be hard to call, as around here .357/.38 special and .45 auto seem to hold on having both a dedicated following[45] and wheel-gun popularity[357].

From there .380, .40 SW, and .45 Colt Long are the other regulars at the range that also hold a fair share of sales space.

For long guns, 22LR again dominates, with 12 Gauge and .223 runners up.

I suspect much of the .223 is stored, whereas the 12 gauge is actually used. [lot of trap and skeet around here]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts