Handgun Forum banner

Anyone make a modification to your carry gun?

modifications

4K views 59 replies 27 participants last post by  gmaske 
#1 ·
Be careful in making any modifications to you carry gun. It could really hurt you if you have to use it. I've been reading about a lot of cases when someone uses their gun in self defense and they get sued because they lighten the trigger pull. I’m doing this to my Glock 21c because I will never carry it, it’s to dam big.

#5 ·
I don't think night sites count or polish the ramp, thats cleaning maint. in my book. Most of the stuff I read was on tigger pulls and I don't think I'd want to carry a comp 1911 even though that would be my gun of choice. You can even get in trouble shooting someone with your own reloads.

#10 ·
Mods. have nothing,nada,zip,zilch,and zero to do with the decision of Flipping off the safety,squeezing the grip and pulling the trigger. :? :?

#13 ·
First I’m new to forums on the internet and got lucky with this one being one of the first. I have read a lot of articles on the internet involving gun issues and I don’t always believe what I read or I would be a gun control freak. I searched for some of the stuff I’ve read within the last week and gave up after an hour. Then I’m sitting on my throne and start reading for the tenth time the magazine COMBAT HANDGUNS. Time to buy new ones. It has an article by Massad Ayoob titled LIGHT TRIGGER LIABILITY (Why “hair triggers” can hang you in court-four case reports give fair warning!) After reading this I myself would not carry a gun that has had the trigger adjusted just to be on the safe side. I would practice with the one I carry to where a light trigger pull is not needed. On the other side a light pull might save your life in a bad situation. I’m going to change my G21c to a 3.5 lb pull to see what it’s like and hope it helps when I get into competition.
There are so many anti-gun people in our justice system and a lot of DA’s are anti-gun. I thought this to be a good topic even if it’s been brought up in other forums. I think the poll results are interesting.

#14 ·
OK, I have heard (and I believe read) that article, but outside of that, I have never really seen any concrete evidence. Anyway, it is something that is said all the time, and I have prev worried about it. But, as long as you make the right statements after a righteuos shoot, I don't think it would matter

#18 ·
The "Castle Doctrine" simply says that if a criminal breaks into your home, your occupied vehicle or your place of business, you may presume he is there to do bodily harm and you may use any force against him.

It also removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a right to be.

Furthermore, this law provides protection from criminal prosecution and civil litigation for those who defend themselves from criminal attack.

Does your state have the Castle Doctrine. My reason for bringing this up is the fact that people who do defend themselfs often get prosecuted and civil action brought agaisnt them.

I talked with a long time friend and he remembers the same case in Austin, TX in 1980 were a guy shot and killed a armed man in his home and the family of the person killed got a large reward, forgot how much for using reloads. He had no criminal action they ruled the shooting was good. But he's broke for using reloads.

#19 ·
spacedoggy said:
I talked with a long time friend and he remembers the same case in Austin, TX in 1980 were a guy shot and killed a armed man in his home and the family of the person killed got a large reward, forgot how much for using reloads. He had no criminal action they ruled the shooting was good. But he's broke for using reloads.
Do you have a link to this story?

#23 ·
Other than night sights, I generally lean away from mods to a carry gun..

Lawyers can/will try anything-
"Gee, Mr. Smith, your gun is black.. In our culture, black is often regarded as representing evil. Are you evil?"

Also, heavily modifying the internals can affect reliabilty if not done right. As much as I might think that me or my local smith might be able to make a gun work better, the engineers who designed it lived, ate, and breathed with it in their head for a few years.

Whereas with nightsights, you can at least use the rationale: "I put them on to better identify my target and improve my accuracy in a stressful situation, so as to reduce the risk to innocent bystanders.." Also, you can get nightsights as OEM from the factory, so they're legal dept. probably gave it some examination.

Oh, and not that it's automatically true, but Ayoob discusses a 1989 case involving handloads and the troubles it caused in the May/June 06 American Handgunner..

#25 ·
spacedoggy said:
First I'm new to forums on the internet and got lucky with this one being one of the first. I have read a lot of articles on the internet involving gun issues and I don't always believe what I read or I would be a gun control freak. I searched for some of the stuff I've read within the last week and gave up after an hour. Then I'm sitting on my throne and start reading for the tenth time the magazine COMBAT HANDGUNS. Time to buy new ones. It has an article by Massad Ayoob titled LIGHT TRIGGER LIABILITY (Why "hair triggers" can hang you in court-four case reports give fair warning!) After reading this I myself would not carry a gun that has had the trigger adjusted just to be on the safe side. I would practice with the one I carry to where a light trigger pull is not needed. On the other side a light pull might save your life in a bad situation. I'm going to change my G21c to a 3.5 lb pull to see what it's like and hope it helps when I get into competition.
There are so many anti-gun people in our justice system and a lot of DA's are anti-gun. I thought this to be a good topic even if it's been brought up in other forums. I think the poll results are interesting.
It's just my personal opinion, but I don't put much weight into Ayoob's pronouncements.

#26 ·
This will always be a topic for much discussion. And there is certainly not anything wrong with continued discussion, especially since, in this forum at least, it has been done very politely and tastefully.
I personally don't think the question will ever be answered as to the liability of modifications on a pistol used for self defense until we see something on hard copy from the courts. Gun mags and writers love throwing this around and that's OK. I just wish somebody, anybody, would give us one little positive linky that we could trust that would sway me a little.
Oh by the way, I don't want to offend anyone but puttin' a 3.5 lb trigger on a Glock will in no way make it a "hair trigger", IMHO. Changing a 5.5 lb. single action trigger to a 3.5 lb. single action trigger MAY make a difference in a crisis situation but I would bet not. I've owned 5 different Glocks in the last 9 years, most with 5.5 lb. triggers and one with a 3.5 lb. trigger. There is no way you're gonna accidently pull one quicker than the other. If you're gonna' over-react, you're gonna over-react!

Rant off. :goofy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.