Handgun Forum banner

Anyone make a modification to your carry gun?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I do limited mods on my carry guns. On revolvers I'll probably change the grips and do a trigger job to smooth the action. On my 1911s I add a beavertail, long trigger, maybe change the mainspring housing and again do an action job to smooth the trigger.
However, I DO NOT lighten the trigger. The reason being that when the heart starts pumping and the adrenaline starts flowing I don't want to fire by accident. Intentionally shooting someone is one thing, shooting someone by accident is entirely different.

·
Registered
208 Posts
A writer for Combat Handguns has made a good living off these scare tatics. Best thing you can do is stop reading that trash. It will sink in you brain and in time of true need you might just pause for a split sec. because you mind flashed to some of this crap . Then you die wondering how you got taken.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
michael t said:
A writer for Combat Handguns has made a good living off these scare tatics. Best thing you can do is stop reading that trash. It will sink in you brain and in time of true need you might just pause for a split sec. because you mind flashed to some of this crap . Then you die wondering how you got taken.
While i certainly don't agree with a lot of what "A writer" has written. Some of it is quite entertaining. :mrgreen:

Do what you feel you need to to keep you and your family safe. Figure the rest out later.

·
Registered
81 Posts
IF its a self defense weapon I tend to shy away from home modifications, any I have done are by trained smiths and I hold on to the paper work ,

Have read Ayoob and read the cases he quotes,,Can it happen yes,but I think its more the failure of the people involved to understand that their lawyers are selling them down the river on not smart enough to counter the prosecution.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I put a Glock Parts NY1 trigger in my G23. Makes the trigger heavier not lighter. I did this primarily because I pocket carry and I had some worries about too light a trigger pull and pulling gun from pocket. Yes I know finger stays out of trigger guard until aimed, but in pocket carry there is always a chance of something on clothing snagging trigger. All of my other EDCs are DAO snubbies and I am used to heavy trigger pull. As some G23s come with that spring stock, I don't think it will come back to haunt me in litigation, I' m sure as hell not going to tell them I changed it!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Where did you hear or read that? I've heard this for years and have never been able to find a single legitimate source that verifies this.
I've had a couple leo friends of mine that said some courts will look at a situation differently if you are using reloads. Seems it shows you are thinking ahead and trying to kill someone when you shoot them. Yeah..I thought that too:smt082

I used ot not carry reloads but I have reloaded JHP ammo I have some good carry ammo but I see a good price on some pretty nice HPs and I'll run em off and carry them. I would really like to see it explained in a court that it's pre-meditated if you reload carry loads. I mean..I figured that you get to the point where your carry weapon has to come out one would want to make the shot that insure the BG isn't going to get up and get you down.

Most anyone I know that carries hopes above all else that they never have to actually use their weapon. I don't think it should matter if you made the round or not.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Night sights, so yes. As for "trigger jobs" and other "action" mods, no. Springs are subjective as they wear and get replaced because at the beginning of their service life they are stiffer than after 5k rounds have been digested.

·
Registered
273 Posts
dead men tell no tails or sue for that matter, thats all i have to say about that. if i ever have to shoot someone there will be no asking him what happened cause if i ever have to use my gun (god forbid) it will be to eliminate the threat

·
Registered
715 Posts
dead men tell no tails or sue for that matter, thats all i have to say about that. if i ever have to shoot someone there will be no asking him what happened cause if i ever have to use my gun (god forbid) it will be to eliminate the threat
Even in Colorado with the "Make My Day Law", you are only exempt from criminal prosecution (not all states have this much protection available to lawful gun owners). Civil lawsuits can still be applied by surviving family and in this litigous society, one can almost expect to have to defend ones self a second time because of it. Not to mention that your God (or any for that matter) will show up in court in your defense.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The thing that any mod can do is give the lawyers something to say as your PRIOR INTENT...It is kind of like a catch 22....you carry a 9mm or a .380..You do your own reloads...you make the ammo better to stop the threat (different bullet config, different powder to increase velocity, etc) What you want to do is increase your chance to stop the threat sooner versus carry a bigger gun (like a .40 or .45 or bigger)...you see it as a way to better stop the threat and to save more lives. The lawyer will turn it around to make it look like you hopped your gun up to make it easier to kill someone..if they can couple that with ANY other factors that make a jury stop and think about it, they may have gained an edge...bad thing is if you carry a small pistol with plain jane ammo and you fail to stop the threat and end up getting killed, the opinion will be that you were not knowledgeable enough to carry the right gun or the right ammo...you (or others) end up dead...

Now if you put a lighter trigger in and someone gets shot by you and seriously injured or killed it could make a difference in some cases...

Let's say someone is charging with a knife, you pull your gun and engage the target and you end up shooting the person, they could possibly say that Mr X pulled his gun to defend himself as Mr Y approached with his knife. In seeing the gun, Mr Y started to stop his attack, but MrX in the moment of duress accidentally shot his gun, due the the trigger modifications and killed Mr Y....Mr X saw the threat by Mr Y and in fear of his life drew his gun to defend himself...As to the truth of Mr Y stopping his attack, they could draw a conclusion or if there are witnesses who could say a variety of things....Then police confiscate the gun for an investigation...The family's lawers have the gun checked with a stock gun and find the trigger pull is substantially lighter...Things get twisted and they build the whole case around it...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Boy thats a mouthfull willy, I started a thread a while back http://handgunforum.net/showthread.php?t=16808
about loading your own ammo for carry, everyone wants proof and no one has it. Got it. But if you ever read the laws its not illegal but we are not dealing with criminal law here we're dealing with civil. As with someone else brought up maybe 2% carry whats your chances to get one to judge you in court, slim to none. I'm not willingly going to bet my house, harley or my gun collection to try my luck at home loaded ammo or a modified weapon, but I do bet my life on my factory M&P and stock ammo.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If you are with-in the law and feel the need to shoot somebody dead I don't see the point??? Will a crappy trigger or under powered ammo make him a bit less dead? I shot the SOB cause he was busting the glass outa the door of my Ford with a tire iron and he looked pretty crazed. I know, I know....them frickin law dogs can make the sky look yellow and make you think that's the way it should be. You are in for a heap of due no matter how "RIGHT" you were in pulling the bang switch in the first place. It's just a fact. You are guilty until proven otherwise no matter what the law says. I'd bet 90% of the time you are gonna give up your gun and go for a ride you didn't plan on and most likely spend the night in a strang locked room.
Here's hoping none of us ever have to go bang bang your dead to some scumbag.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.