Handgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering why the micro 9mm 1911 style pistols don't have grip safeties. They do have thumb safeties. I shot a micro 9mm with a grip safety & it worked fine, S.A. XD-S Mod.2. If you carry these do you prefer condition one or two? I wouldn't consider three.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Just wondering why the micro 9mm 1911 style pistols don't have grip safeties. They do have thumb safeties. I shot a micro 9mm with a grip safety & it worked fine, S.A. XD-S Mod.2. If you carry these do you prefer condition one or two? I wouldn't consider three.
The XD-S Mod.2 is a striker fired pistol where the grip safety blocks the sear which is located at the top of the frame from functioning. That's about the best way that I can explain it. The Micro 9 is a single action semi auto that has a mainspring housing and a hammer spring. The XD-S Mod.2 does not, it's a sub compact striker fired 9mm and not in the same category as a Micro 9. Micro 9's are for all intents and purposes a mini 1911. I'm just guessing that In order to incorporate a grip safety in the Micro 9 they'd probably have to shorten both the mainspring housing and spring? The geometry and the compactness of the pistol just doesn't allow for it. More than likely it would be too short for it to function properly. Like a 1911 I carry mine in condition one.

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Vendor
55 Posts
Some Wilson Combat 1911's also come without a grip safety - not a problem to carry cocked and locked provided one exercises proper trigger discipline.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I never really understood why 1911’s have grip safeties in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts