Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Administrator
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man arrested after firing shots while chasing his stolen truck in Seattle. He never calls 911; truck driver speeds away — and observers are beyond frustrated

The man spotted his stolen Chevrolet truck in the Mt. Baker neighborhood while he was driving in his Toyota Camry around 4:45 p.m. Friday, police said.

He followed his stolen truck until it stopped, and he then confronted the driver, police said.
When the driver sped away, the man fired two shots that struck two nearby residences, police said.
The man then chased after his truck, driving erratically through the Columbia City neighborhood until he lost sight of it, police said, adding that he neglected to call 911 at any point during the incident.

· Registered
23 Posts
Good thing this did not happen here in Nebraska..That would have been terrible timing..We have a State Legislature Committee vote here on Bill LB77..Constitutional Carry tomorrow..Wish us luck,,If the Committee kills it, will likely be dead again just like last time..

That guy I am sure was mad as hell about his Pickup going away..But he also has to be able to muster up some common sense too..

· Registered
462 Posts
Cops don’t do anything anymore, they probably wouldn’t have answered the call…..
You can't blame law enforcement, most of the time they just don't have the manpower to be able to answer every call in a timely manor. I'm sure that they have their priorities? A stolen truck speeding away and driving erratically would probably be one of them? I would imagine that their response time is worse in America's major cities? At any rate being in law enforcement is a job that I would not want to be in. It's a thankless job where you're damned if you do or damned if you don't. One of my friends is a retired CHP (California Highway Patrolman). He once told me that the worst part of that job was responding to traffic fatalities. It still gives him nightmares. Another was a NYC cop who told me that he had to respond to calls where people were living in some of the most deplorable conditions. What really bothered him the most was seeing children living like that. Seeing it on the news is one thing, but with your own eyes is quite another.

Of course there are bad cops too. Bullies with a badge who just love to push people around just because they can. But my guess is that they are few and far between? Most cops probably just want to get home safely to their wives and kids after each shift. After all they never know if it will be their last as they never know who they may be pulling over for a minor traffic violation. No thank you I'd never want to be a cop.

· Administrator
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cops don’t do anything anymore, they probably wouldn’t have answered the call…..
Probably would not have. Remember what city he is in.

Look what is going on. Read at the end of the article how people are frustrated that nothing is being done in that city.

So, I don't condone what he did. But, I doubt the police would have shown up where he is at.

· Registered
462 Posts
That's not at all true. You're just spewing BS.
That's for sure. Other than a few traffic tickets I got when I was a punk kid driving my street rod. I never had any negative interactions with law enforcement. Most of the time they just gave me a warning and let me go on my merry way. I think that they just wanted to check out my car? In fact some wanted to know what was under the hood. I grew up in a small town and knew all the cops, their kids and families. There wasn't much crime, most of the time the cops were doing traffic duty, responding to accidents, occasional burglaries, medical emergencies and fires.

Once I got interested in guns I got to know a few more of them who had to deal with a lot more than that on a regular basis. I don't know how they could deal with it? Not too mention change of shifts 8-4, 4-12, 12-8. But what really opened my eyes was on 9/11 watching on TV both cops and firemen rushing into those burning buildings knowing full well that they could come crashing down on them at any moment.

· Registered
9,486 Posts
"Policing" today is far different than it was just a decade or two ago. Societal decay is in full bloom. People going off over the smallest of issues. It's hard to be upbeat when the future looks grim.

Our Criminal Justice System is slapping the back of hands, vs. hammering someone when they commit a crime. Politics over-riding the CJS in ways it never has before.

And, cops are being minted as fast as possible, to get them on the streets. Lots of cutting corners in an attempt to cut cost and time being trained. Budgets play a huge part of what it or isn't.

Not a good thing and things won't change until that line is crossed.

· Registered
26 Posts
That's not true at all. You're just spewing BS.

This all came out wrong,
LOE's have a terribly difficult job, and their life is in danger every day, every day.
You can't shoot anyone, unless your life is in danger, imminent danger. The truck thief wasn't running the apparent truck owner over, so don't shoot.
The criminal justice system is collapsing, I feel sorry for the cops, putting the bad guy away isn't just a given even when caught red handed.
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, I'm on the police officers side, always.

· Registered
9,486 Posts
No profession or career on earth is perfect, and I mean none. Each has it's own challenges. Some more than others.

I don't envy today's police officers. Far more BS to deal and contend with. And a lot harder to shed at the end of the day. No one wants to take their work home with them, but sometimes, it can't be avoided.

· Registered
462 Posts
No profession or career on earth is perfect, and I mean none. Each has it's own challenges. Some more than others.

I don't envy today's police officers. Far more BS to deal and contend with. And a lot harder to shed at he end of the day. No one wants to take their work home with them, but sometimes, it can't be avoided.
Especially with 24/7 news that's quick to condemn law enforcement for every move they make. The news media loves and encourages rioting that lasts for weeks, it brings in ratings. It's the same with mass shootings. Everything is a mass shooting nowadays including gangs fighting over turf. The media is on a mission to abolish the 2nd Amendment. What better way is there than to sensationalize for months on end every so called mass shooting in America? It certainly gives those who are about to go off the deep end a way to go out with a bang. Before Columbine there weren't too many of these incidents happening within the United States. After Columbine they've become more of a regular occurrence even though the chances of being in one are extremely rare.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts