Handgun Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I'm sure everyone has noticed... I updated the forum software last night, well, I'm still updating and it's now morning... I've been at this now for about 6 hours...I'm starting to feel a little loopie... :rolleyes:

Anyway, The reasons for doing this are many... more features for eveyone, faster, security and spam bots invading on a daily basis are starting to get out of control. This software offers better security from that, which saves me a ton of time. The other software that I was using (phpbb) was open source and full of bugs, glitches and major security holes. The new software is closed source and the only way to get it is to purchase a license, which I did.

So, I had to transfer 545 members, over 8,000 post, a ton of PMs, avatars and a ton of other stuff over to the new software. So far the only problems are this:

Memberlist is somewhere... we just can't view it right now. It transfered ok, but isn't showing for some reason... I'll work on it and solve it ASAP.

Avatars, all uploaded avatars made it...but some aren't showing... you may need to re-upload them... sorry about that... :(

Posted pictures... All the links made the transfer, but on some post where the pics were really large just the link is showing and will need to fixed. I'll go through them and fix them... If you happen to stumble on post that you posted a pic on, feel free to edit the picture link... :)

PM's... I tranfered over 300 pm's, they all made it... but aren't showing...again I fix that ASAP.

So there you have it, the updated software is in place... it's just going to take me a few days to get everything right. I'll also redo some graphics, create a new handgun forum logo and basically tweak things a bit. Sorry to spring this on everyone all at once, I had planned for this to take place over the next few days...but I thought...What the hell, might as well jump right into it and get it done. If anyone runs into anything odd, PM me and let me know so I can work on it. Thanks everybody! Sorry if I inconvinced anyone...just trying to make a better place for all.

Also, if for some reason you can't log on, then e-mail me: [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Please, everyone be patient. There have been a few snags, but hopefully in the next day or so, most will be taken care of.

1 note - U may have a lot of old PMs in your box that you prev deleted - I know I did. I had to delete them all from the sent box before I could even send any new ones.

Also, as JS stated, a major reason for the change was because of spammers - Spambots attempt to join as new members each and every day, so they can post advertisements. JS was having to delete those members on a daily basis before they could do their damage.

Anyway, be patient. Hopefully, a link for "new posts" will be up soon. For now, it appears that you will have to search the individual forums 1 by 1.

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are you talking about a "new post" button/graphic?

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
JS was up ALL last night working on it - and went to sleep. So, I think he can fix some of that stuff tonight. We'll have to bear thru it the rest of the day. I've done some tweaking as best I can.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Got your emule Shipwreck, it looks as though you have things worked out. Good!
Been on vacation for a few days, and am just now trying to catch up...
This new program looks pretty nice, I like it so far...

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
gene said:
I thought I had fall threw the cracks could not pull up the forum.
Well, glad U are here now. As stated before - the avatar situation is being worked on. Also, for whatever reason, any posts in this Forum Announcement area seems to require approval from myself before they appear to other members. Not sure what the deal w/ that is either...

G

·
I can't see...I can't see...

I really need to start reading the sticky's...had to cancel an appointment with an opthamologist...thought I was going blind.

·
Registered
65 Posts
js said:
are you talking about a "new post" button/graphic?
No. Just about every forum out there (including the previous one and most others using vbulletin) have a "View Posts Since Last Logged In" button. On the other vBulletin boards I frequent, it's usually right at the top in the page and called "New Posts." Clicking on each subforum in turn gets to be a drag when clicking the New Posts button (which is currently MIA) just lists every thread that has changed since I was last here.

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

-=Whittey=-

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
right now, there is 1 - for some strange reason - if you click on the search box - there is a "New posts" link there. Use that for now I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whittey said:
No. Just about every forum out there (including the previous one and most others using vbulletin) have a "View Posts Since Last Logged In" button. On the other vBulletin boards I frequent, it's usually right at the top in the page and called "New Posts." Clicking on each subforum in turn gets to be a drag when clicking the New Posts button (which is currently MIA) just lists every thread that has changed since I was last here.

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

-=Whittey=-
Thanks for the heads up, I'll work on it tonight when I get home from work. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Shipwreck said:
right now, there is 1 - for some strange reason - if you click on the search box - there is a "New posts" link there. Use that for now I guess.
Ya know, I could have sworn I looked there earlier. Still, it'd be nice for a quicker link :D :D :D

-=Whittey=-

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Update...

Ok, I'm home from work now and plan on getting down to business with this site and the updating at hand...

I'm having to redo member permissions...one at a time. So far I've done 79... Just got 400 more to do... :rolleyes:

I've enabled avatar uploading... avatar sizes for uploading are 80X80 and 8500kb in size. I have to re-map the already uploaded avatars from members so if you don't see yours, you can either re-upload it or hold out a bit and I'll see if can't fix it.

The other Template that I was using has a few bugs so I'm using the default vbulletin style at the moment. Anyway, keep sending error reports so I'll know what to tackle next.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Many thanks for the work on upgrading the Forum. It was already a good Forum, but this ought to make it even better. I use this Forum more than any other on the Net. Again, Many Thanks. :)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
What/where is a "quick reply icon"? That's the message I get each time I click "post quick reply". No biggie, just trying out things. Any way we can post emoicons in the body of the message?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.