Handgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not that I know of. I have two, I just wanted to try to find another one. It's very accurate, but these days I'm afraid I can't find parts. I have a Remington mod 51 .380 that I don't shoot anymore for the same reason. I got it in1969, but I think it was made around 1918.

· Registered
462 Posts
Not that I know of. I have two, I just wanted to try to find another one. It's very accurate, but these days I'm afraid I can't find parts. I have a Remington mod 51 .380 that I don't shoot anymore for the same reason. I got it in1969, but I think it was made around 1918.
I don't know but it may be time for another gun if self defense is its purpose? One that's new, newer or an older one that's still in production like a 1911. I have a bunch of older S&W semi auto's that were made in the 1980's when most police agencies started switching over to semi auto's. Magazines and some parts are nearly impossible to find. In spite of the fact that tens of thousands of these guns were probably made?

I bought these primarily as collectors items and payed well under $400 for each. They were great guns in their day, mine still work and are in excellent condition. If not for the scarcity of those damn magazines!!! To my knowledge they're not making them anymore and those like me who own these guns are not parting with what we've got. It's a shame that S&W stopped making these guns.

These are the types of guns for people on a budget that already have experience shooting a handgun as you don't want to put thousands of practice rounds through them in the event that something breaks at the wrong time. Cracked magazine feed lips and worn out springs are the most likely problems. Or even during practice as you may not be able to easily find replacement parts. Run about 5 boxes or so of different types of ammo through them to ensure that everything works. Then you should be able to put it away and basically forget about it until God forbid you have to use it.
Trigger Gun barrel Air gun Wood Gun accessory

1 - 9 of 9 Posts