Handgun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the magazine be lubricated with a dry lube every so often. I have several and they are loaded, but occasionally it seems the bullets do not slide up smoothly.
Should the bullets be wiped down as well, with a dry lube or with a Teflon lube?
I don't get to the range as often as I would like especially with the Lockdowns.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
Should the magazine be lubricated with a dry lube every so often. I have several and they are loaded, but occasionally it seems the bullets do not slide up smoothly.
Should the bullets be wiped down as well, with a dry lube or with a Teflon lube?
I don't get to the range as often as I would like especially with the Lockdowns.
I clean my Glock mags but I have not ever used any lubricant on them. I have never had a problem with any of my Glock magazines either, clean or dirty for that matter.

·
Supporting Member
5,669 Posts
Are you encountering any feed issues ?
Glock mags are very reliable.
I never intentionally add anything to my mags, Glock, etc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I clean my Glock mags but I have not ever used any lubricant on them. I have never had a problem with any of my Glock magazines either, clean or dirty for that matter.
What do you clean them with, and how. Only on the outside?

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
What do you clean them with, and how. Only on the outside?
I just use a strong Dawn dish soap mix and a tooth brush. The mags are easy to disassemble and reassemble with only a 1/8ths punch and a bit of care. Keep in mind that there is a spring under tension in there!
When the mags are cleaned to my satisfaction I wipe them 3 as dry as I can then let them air dry on a cloth towel.

Reactions: pic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carried a Glock 19 for work for over 20 yrs.Never lubed the mags,and rarely did more than blow them out with compressed air.Never had a single issue with that gun.
I used a mag that sat for a while loaded, it jammed, bullet didn't slide up fully. Happened once. That's why I thought spraying a dry lube into mag then loading it would alleviate problem. Didn't want to make problem worse. I think I will just use compressed air, maybe it had dust.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used a mag that sat for a while loaded
Dont know what you mean by a "while", but mine sat loaded for a year at a time.I would fire a mag load a couple times a year, but the spares sat for the entire year.You are using Glock factory mags, right?Dont use aftermarket mags.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
Dont know what you mean by a "while", but mine sat loaded for a year at a time.I would fire a mag load a couple times a year, but the spares sat for the entire year.You are using Glock factory mags, right?Dont use aftermarket mags.
Magpul P-Mags have worked well for me. I have not had an issue. I do use factory mags for EDC.

·
Supporting Member
5,669 Posts
I used a mag that sat for a while loaded, it jammed, bullet didn't slide up fully. Happened once. That's why I thought spraying a dry lube into mag then loading it would alleviate problem. Didn't want to make problem worse. I think I will just use compressed air, maybe it had dust.
Thanks for the advice.
If you have a shitload of magazines out of immediate service, that will be stored for awhile, lubricating them would probably be ok.
I've lubed up magazines before. Mostly the metal mags.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I use Hoppes #9 Synthetic Blend to clean all my magazines, then wipe them, inside and out, until it's completely dry. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use a little Ballistol on a rag to clean them and give them a slick surface. A few minutes later it's dry and smooth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts