Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rules are pick Your favorite three S&Ws from the year you were born. Mine are

1- Pre-Model 27 a post war 5 screw serial number somewhere around S140000 to S149999

2- K17 a Pre-Model 17 Four screw .22 cal serial number somewhere around K279310

3- K38 a Pre-Model 14 Four screw 38 spl serial number somewhere around K279810

Serial numbers are not required, I got a bit specific with the K17 and K38 as I have them. I'm still looking for the Perfect Model 27.

Meanwhile here is a pic of my K38
Revolver Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Model 28-2 in 4", Model 28in 6", and 29 in 6+1/2".

I have the first two, but instead of a 29, I got a 629 6" instead.
Excellent choices, I take it you favor the big guns.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to see you wirenut. A Beautiful and varied group in excellent condition. Is that a Model 39 I see there?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd be really hard pressed to limit my favorite S&W's to only three.

Maybe five? Even then, it'd be a chore.
So don't tease us give us your top five ... LOL

If you're gonna bend the rule you gotta post Some pics though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no idea what S&W was making in 1946. My favorite is my beautiful pristene Mod. 27-2 6" Blue . It might qualify, or not.
That would be an unregistered pre-Model 357 magnum. I'd love to see some pics of it!

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
So don't tease us give us your top five ... LOL

If you're gonna bend the rule you gotta post Some pics though.
6" 629, 8 3/8" no-dash 617, 2 1/2" 66, 6" 66, 2" 642.

All of the above, except for one (642) are all pre-lock. Off the top of my head, I have about 12 or 13 S&W revolvers.

One of these days, I'll get around to posting up some pictures. I'm retired, and you all know how busy us retired guys are. :cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since dessertman couldn't limit it to just three I'm throwing in a couple.

Here's a couple of my Model 27S
Revolver Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Here's my Model 19
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain

·
Registered
19 Posts
My favorites would be:
1. S&W 66-no dash 4-inch
2. S&W 659 w/20-round clip
3. S&W 686 6-inch
4. S&W 629-no dash
5. S&W 317 8-shot.22

Never have located a nice S&W 66 I could afford, and I had a 629 I got rid of, and deeply regret it. It was beautiful. Never sell or trade a gun you love. You'll regret it.

S&W 66

S&W 659

S&W 686-no dash

S&W 629

S&W 317

The S&W 317 made my list because it feels like a toy and fires like a real gun. It can be carried all day long without you ever knowing it's there.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My three favorites are:
  • 4" Model 63 - .22 LR
  • 4" Model 18 - .22 LR
  • 4" Model 15 - .38 Special

No special reasons,,,
Other than out my 12 S&W's,,,
They are just the ones I like shooting the most.

Aarond

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice looking iron everyone, I’m glad to see so many S&Ws. Stargaer53 even snuck in an auto.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stargaer53 even snuck in an auto.
Well, actually, "Rules are pick Your favorite three S&Ws from the year you were born." So the 659 was a S&W. And I read the "from the year you were born" as meaning "since you were born." I later wondered if it meant choose the favorite three produced during the year you were born.

And since paratrooper was allowed five and wirenut listed his S&W 59, well, I snuck in my 659!

I also have a S&W 5906 I like, but I like the 659 better. There are "two tone" 3rd generation pistols with plasticy hammers and triggers, and in my view, S&W cut too many corners on those.

S&W 5906

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Well, actually, "Rules are pick Your favorite three S&Ws from the year you were born." So the 659 was a S&W. And I read the "from the year you were born" as meaning "since you were born." I later wondered if it meant choose the favorite three produced during the year you were born.

And since paratrooper was allowed five and wirenut listed his S&W 59, well, I snuck in my 659!

I also have a S&W 5906 I like, but I like the 659 better. There are "two tone" 3rd generation pistols with plasticy hammers and triggers, and in my view, S&W cut too many corners on those.

S&W 5906
Well I'll have to sneak in my S&W semi auto's as well.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Composite material

·
Registered
177 Posts
This was my first N frame keeper, it is a Model 29-no dash from 1958-59. Gun is not a safe queen due to some dings. Gun was factory renickled. in the 1960's and so marked. Not a collectors item but gets good care as if it was. Shoots great as a 44 Special.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts