Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished my carry and conceal class and when we went out to the range a thought entered my mind,The gun companies as well as companies like crimson trace are putting out advertisements on using lasers for self defense,but im thinking in a self defense scenario a laser can only slow me down since my objective would be point and shoot to center of mass .Trying to put the red light bead onto a BG would only slow me down. Any thoughts on the matter ? Agree or disagree? why?

G

·
grizz5675 said:
I recently finished my carry and conceal class and when we went out to the range a thought entered my mind,The gun companies as well as companies like crimson trace are putting out advertisements on using lasers for self defense,but im thinking in a self defense scenario a laser can only slow me down since my objective would be point and shoot to center of mass .Trying to put the red light bead onto a BG would only slow me down. Any thoughts on the matter ? Agree or disagree? why?
I've never really had much interest in the whole laser grip thing... In a self defense scenario I don't see it's purpose... but that's just me... :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you had time to use your sights in a self defense situation, the laser would be faster to use than leveling the sights. U can fire from the waste, or while the gun is still coming up to eye level.

One should not rely on ONLY lasers when shooting at the range. You should learn to shoot both with and without. But, it could theoritically give you a slight speed advantage. And, it may be a bit more accurate than just general pointing of the gun.

I am sure someone will throw in the intimidation factor, but I think this would only enter into it if you were holding a perp at gun point while you waited for police to arrive.

That being said, as JS stated above, I am not a big laser fan either.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Every gun I've held with a laser on it does not line up with the sites. If you line it up for ten feet then at 20 it's way off. I keep away from them for that reason. I think Hollywood made everyone want one.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yes, it will only be accurate at the distance that you set it to be. Closer or furtehr away, it will be off by a few inches. I imagine, the difference will not be that big of a deal, however. Only if you are way up close or way far away.

I had one before and set it for about 7 yards.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess lasers just seem to be a cool thing to do and dont have much real value to them,so maybe i'll be happy with a tactical light at least it would help me to not trip and fall in the middle of the night while chasing away a BG. :twisted: :shock:

·
Supporting Member - Legally Armed Scooter Trash
2,031 Posts
Laser grips.........

Having used mine for a couple of years now I disagree with most about slowing you down!With moderate practice it has drastically reduced my on target times "in low light conditions",that being said I do use Iron sights almost exclusively during daylight hours.They are another VERY useful tool if you decide to buy them AND practice with them. The new generation lasergrips are almost all activated buy squeezing the grip andits easy to learn to grip lightly,the laser is off...strong grip to shoot and the laser is on.After setting zero at 50 feet your laser will be 1inch low right of POI at 10 feet and 1 inch high left of POI at 90-100 feet.You will still DEFINATELY hit COM ...... if you're not shaking too much :-D And by the way the laser WILL show you just how much you are shaking :wink:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Give this a try ,the next time your at the range with a freind have your freind touch your right shoulder then with laser on see how far he can run before you unload 5 shots in center of mass after he says shoot:then try the same thing with no laser, shooting for center of mass again and i'd be willing to bet he runs farther with the laser on.

·
Super Moderator
12,535 Posts
grizz5675 said:
Give this a try ,the next time your at the range with a freind have your freind touch your right shoulder then with laser on see how far he can run before you unload 5 shots in center of mass after he says shoot:then try the same thing with no laser, shooting for center of mass again and i'd be willing to bet he runs farther with the laser on.
U try it and tell us how it goes :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a set of Crimson Trace grips on my Taurus 605 and for what it is worth I really feel that the laser makes a 2'' revolver a bit more formittable, expecially in low light. In the dark its point & shoot anyway but with the laser its more point and hit. Plus the laser may intimidate the BG enough if he see's that dot on his chest that he runs away in fear. Saving me money in lawyer fee's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shipwreck...I dont have access to a laser right now but i would try it if i had one,I was trying to point out that anything other then pulling your gun and shooting at a BGs P.O.M will only distract you and slow you down at least a little.I have done the same thing only with using the sights and not using the sightsat 21 feet,when not using the sights most of the BGs would not make it to the shooter by the time the shooter popped off at least two shots, when using the sights the BG would almost always get to the shooter before he could pop one off.

·
Supporting Member - Legally Armed Scooter Trash
2,031 Posts
I give up...I still find it utterly amazing how someone who hasnt tried something(for more than 20 seconds)can make an unarguable statement about how ineffective/useless something is an its supposed to be taken as a fact from above. :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I have them on both my Glocks, and had them on the 1911 and J-frame I used before I went to the Dark Side. I find them very effective when used in realistic - as opposed to square range - defensive shooting. They are especially useful when shooting on the move and in low light.

If you haven't used them in dynamic shooting (box drills, snakes, scenarios, etc.), you really can't grasp how well they work. Just standing there on a square range and shooting with lasers doesn't really tell you anything about them, or any other kind of defensive shooting for that matter. It's too bad they are illegal in IDPA; that might be a good proving ground for them.

I see the arguments made here against lasers are similar to those made against "flash sight picture" defensive shooting. The laser, like the sights, are not used to "aim" the gun; rather, they are used to confirm an alignment that the practiced body has already made. When engaging targets at high speed while moving, the laser gives the shooter instant feedback about how his movement is affecting the gun's alignment.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
Mike Barham at Galco said:
I have them on both my Glocks, and had them on the 1911 and J-frame I used before I went to the Dark Side. I find them very effective when used in realistic - as opposed to square range - defensive shooting. They are especially useful when shooting on the move and in low light.

If you haven't used them in dynamic shooting (box drills, snakes, scenarios, etc.), you really can't grasp how well they work. Just standing there on a square range and shooting with lasers doesn't really tell you anything about them, or any other kind of defensive shooting for that matter. It's too bad they are illegal in IDPA; that might be a good proving ground for them.

I see the arguments made here against lasers are similar to those made against "flash sight picture" defensive shooting. The laser, like the sights, are not used to "aim" the gun; rather, they are used to confirm an alignment that the practiced body has already made. When engaging targets at high speed while moving, the laser gives the shooter instant feedback about how his movement is affecting the gun's alignment.
All good points... :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Anything that can help, should not hurt!
If it gives you an edge, it may be that edge that proclaims you the winner!

However, I would not want to primarily depend on a battery operated, electronic device for defense purposes. It must augment your already fine honed personal protection tactics, or you'll fine your self depending on a device and not your self...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
scooter ,I was not giving advice i was on the contrary looking for a positive reason to perhaps give me a reason to buy a set of laser grips.By me giving my negative viewpoint i figure someone may give me their positive viewpoint,which is what mike from galco did very nicely.Because of mike's statement i am now 2nd guessing myself and may very well purchase a laser.The m-6 with the sig equinox 45 acp is looking good.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.