Handgun Forum banner

Kimber Pro CDP II Slide Stop...

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  AGG 
G
#1 ·
Today at the range I had 3 FTF's... No ammo jamming, just the slide locking back with ammo still in the mag. It's happened a couple other of times over the last couple of range trips. I've read on a few other forums that this sometimes happens to the 1911's and it's due to the slide stop. Anyone else experience this type of FTF...? and how was it remedied...?

I just ordered a wilson combat slide stop in hopes that it will do the trick.

#4 ·
If ya still have problems after installing the wilsons let me know and Ill talk ya thru it :-D :-D

G
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shipwreck said:
What mags are U using?

Try a combination of different mags and the new slide stop.

Its been a while, but I have heard of this before. I think either Kimber can do their magic on the slide stop, or U might very well fix it w/ the wilson stop.
All wilson mags...

I had read on a Kimber forum that the slide stop problem isn't rare... some were even filing the slide stops down abit. I won't even attempt to do that. The wilson stops already have this mod... here's a photo of the stop that I ordered...Notice the "With Built in Detent", That is supposed to fix the malfunction...

G
#11 ·
Re: KIMBER MAGS

RONNIE J said:
This has been a problem with the factory mags, once the follower and spring are changed to Wilson or Tripp-the problem seems to go away--were you using a mag other than the factory when it happened.? Most times it is not the slide stop but the follower.

Ron
Yep, I was using all wilson mags...

#17 ·
Kimber Pro CDP II slide stop FTF

I'm in the same boat as you buddy. I bought the Kimber Pro CDP II last week and have put about 250 rounds through it so far. I shoots great, but mine has also had about 10 FTFs where the slide will lock back. I changed my grip on the gun to double check my thumb wasn't hitting the slide stop, but it didn't make a difference. So I ordered a slide stop from Wilson Combat and a WC magazine as well. We'll see tomorrow if th problem fixes itself with this new slide stop! It better, for what I paid for the gun.

#18 ·
Slide Stop Problem

I took my Kimber Pro CDP to the range today and put another 250 rounds through it, using new Wilson Combat mags and a Wilson Combat slide stop. Still had 6 FTFs. After some experimenting with ammo and mags, I've determined that it is not the mags. When I use 230 gr FMJs, the ball seems to catch the slide stop causing it to lock back when feeding a new round, usually on the 3rd or 4th round of the mag. Not a problem when I use hollow point ammo though. The local gunsmith I use had the same problem with his Kimber, he advised filing the slide stop where it touches the ball ammo during feeding (I haven't tried the "built in detent" slide stops from Wilson Combat, only the extended grip slide stops).
I'll be filing down the slide stop a bit to see if that ends this problem once and for all. Any advice on filing it down?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.