Handgun Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I just found this forum, so I apologize for such a late reply to this thread.

I bought my KelTek P-11 back in 1998 as a back-up weapon when I was working as a Deputy Sheriff in Florida. Unfortunately the parkerized coating didn't hold up too well between the salt air and sweat, but having a friend who was a gunsmith provided me an opportunity to get it blued. He did an outstanding job and the bluing has held up impressively.

I just picked-up a factory belt clip for it and I will carry the P-11 as my CC weapon. I think I only paid $180 for this puppy new and have not been disappointed with it; compared to $300+ for one now I would say I got a deal. I would most certainly replace it with another P-11 if anything happened to this one.
Any pictures of the re-bluing? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
40 Posts
The title is pretty straight forward. If you lost your P11, would you replace it with another P11? If yes, what makes the P11 so attractive to you? If no, what would you consider as a better replacement.

On another note, for those of you who bought your Kel Tec P11 new, what was included? Do they just come with 1 magazine?

EDIT: Also, do you prefer the hard chrome, parkerized, or the blue version? Why?
No doubt.

Purchased ours at a gun show as a greenhorn and paid about 75.00 too much for it. The guy saw me coming and I got skinned. That being said I've got over 400 rounds of all different kinds of 115 FMJ down range w/one field cleaning and it's been a hoss. So, all in all it was a decent buy because of the reliability.

My wife selected an IT Protec .25 acp that was nothing but trouble so we unloaded it at a loss. It was worth it though as we used that money to purchase a Sterling Arms 300 .25 manufactuered in Gasport, NY between '72-'76. All machined steel. It's really a sweet piece. Will upgrade asap to a .380, but I'm not at all unhappy in carrying the.25. I've gotten to the point where I can hit 6-9" groupings w/my off hand.

My wife is very confident carrying the 9. She carrys it 10+1 w/an extra mag. She's ex-military and an excellent shot. Received 'Expert' status w/an M-16 and a 1911 sidearm in training as a NCO West Point candidate. I never concern myself for her safety. She's very capable.

My wife carries the P11 w/JHP 115+P Copper Only Projectiles. She's only fired about 3 rounds of it to get the +P feel. They weren't that much different.

So, yes I would replace our P11 w/another one in a second. The only reason I don't carry one as well is that I frequently ride a bicycle for errands and as I'm in/out of various establishments and on/of the bike the P11 simply prints too much for CC.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
No doubt.

Purchased ours at a gun show as a greenhorn and paid about 75.00 too much for it. The guy saw me coming and I got skinned. That being said I've got over 400 rounds of all different kinds of 115 FMJ down range w/one field cleaning and it's been a hoss. So, all in all it was a decent buy because of the reliability.

My wife selected an IT Protec .25 acp that was nothing but trouble so we unloaded it at a loss. It was worth it though as we used that money to purchase a Sterling Arms 300 .25 manufactuered in Gasport, NY between '72-'76. All machined steel. It's really a sweet piece. Will upgrade asap to a .380, but I'm not at all unhappy in carrying the.25. I've gotten to the point where I can hit 6-9" groupings w/my off hand.

My wife is very confident carrying the 9. She carrys it 10+1 w/an extra mag. She's ex-military and an excellent shot. Received 'Expert' status w/an M-16 and a 1911 sidearm in training as a NCO West Point candidate. I never concern myself for her safety. She's very capable.

My wife carries the P11 w/JHP 115+P Copper Only Projectiles. She's only fired about 3 rounds of it to get the +P feel. They weren't that much different.

So, yes I would replace our P11 w/another one in a second. The only reason I don't carry one as well is that I frequently ride a bicycle for errands and as I'm in/out of various establishments and on/of the bike the P11 simply prints too much for CC.
I just put another 50 rounds through my P-11 this morning...flawless. I carry that gun more than any of my others due to the reliability, and the fact that I am not that worried about getting minor nicks or blemishes on it. It's tough. BTW, would the P3AT be a little easier for you to conceal? I had one for about two years, and it ran like a champ for me while I had it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just sold my P11 that had the stainless slide. I just had too many guns and had to pare down the collection a bit (and it was the cheapest gun in the collection)
Soon as I sold it, I felt a little bit of regret, especially since stainless P11's are kind of rare.
But then I heard the stainless ones were discontinued because there was a chance of cracking, which makes me feel a little bit better.

In stats it is a great gun, slimmer, shorter, lighter than a Glock 26 and higher capacity (with the 12 round), and I may pick one up down the line. Gosh talking about it makes me want one now.

How are the parkerized ones? Is the finish good and durable? I'm a stainless kind of guy and hear things poor parkerizing and flaking chrome which is keeping me away.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just put another 50 rounds through my P-11 this morning...flawless. I carry that gun more than any of my others due to the reliability, and the fact that I am not that worried about getting minor nicks or blemishes on it. It's tough. BTW, would the P3AT be a little easier for you to conceal? I had one for about two years, and it ran like a champ for me while I had it.
Have considered it, seriously. After owning the Sterling for a while now I've decided if/when I do upgrade I'm going w/a Magnum Research MDE .380. It's all metal except for the grips. Have had an opportunity to shoot several .380 pockets and the polymers were just too light. The NAA Guardian is a doorstop. My concern was/is reset/follow-ups. The MDE clearly out shown the others in that regard because of the weight. It weighs about the same as my Sterling and though there's more kick it's manageable for me.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts