Handgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I quit talking guns with my wife & her family. Not interested. When crime went up in my area I signed her up for a women's only new shooter class. And her sister. Took them to the range a few times & they tried a dozen different guns. Then they lost interest but years later incidents happened with her sister so they went to another new shooter class to relearn what they forgot. Took them to the range again 4 times. Soon they lost interest again. Political tension rose last November so 2 other sisters & a niece wanted to learn to shoot. Briefly. Then they all lost interest. I can't even mention anything gun related around the house or my head gets bit off. I did manage to buy her a can of pepper spray. She & her 5 sisters are driving out of state for 2 weeks. 2,500 miles. Unarmed. Because being armed scares them more than being killed. Can't change a tire or check fluids but they have smart phones. The world is way more dangerous than 50 years ago. Some adapt, some don't. Of all the victims of crime, how many woke up that morning expecting to be attacked? Probably under 5%. This is why I always carry. Oh, another niece did get her carry license & a gun! One night a man pulled her out of her car, tried to pin her to the ground & ripped off most of her cloths. She fought him off & got away. The next day she bought a gun & goes to the range all the time.

·
Super Moderator
12,400 Posts
I have fought the same battle, said the same things, and used the same examples.... With the same results. But, I finally figured out those people should not have guns anyway. If they did have one and something happened, they would be too scared to use it....

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Have faith. The human race is not in danger of going extinct. The herd does get culled from time to time and that's just the way it is. Speaking for myself, I worry a lot about my two daughters, both grown, and my wife. My granddaughter wants to get a gun as soon as she is out of college and can do this. She would be the one to carry between her and the other females in my family.

We can knock our heads against the wall until we're loopy but some people are just not going to get the message and take the initiative. Sad but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I quit talking guns with my wife & her family. Not interested. When crime went up in my area I signed her up for a women's only new shooter class. And her sister. Took them to the range a few times & they tried a dozen different guns. Then they lost interest but years later incidents happened with her sister so they went to another new shooter class to relearn what they forgot. Took them to the range again 4 times. Soon they lost interest again. Political tension rose last November so 2 other sisters & a niece wanted to learn to shoot. Briefly. Then they all lost interest. I can't even mention anything gun related around the house or my head gets bit off. I did manage to buy her a can of pepper spray. She & her 5 sisters are driving out of state for 2 weeks. 2,500 miles. Unarmed. Because being armed scares them more than being killed. Can't change a tire or check fluids but they have smart phones. The world is way more dangerous than 50 years ago. Some adapt, some don't. Of all the victims of crime, how many woke up that morning expecting to be attacked? Probably under 5%. This is why I always carry. Oh, another niece did get her carry license & a gun! One night a man pulled her out of her car, tried to pin her to the ground & ripped off most of her cloths. She fought him off & got away. The next day she bought a gun & goes to the range all the time.
I hear ya man, I’m in the same boat with my girlfriend. At least she’s not some slimy liberal who hates guns(I wouldn’t be with her if she was) but she’s just pretty much stuck where I was all the way up to about five years ago when although I didn’t hate guns, didn’t hate hunting or shooting, I just had no desire to have a handgun, or even carry one so I never bought one and even turned down a really nice full-size Springfield XD 45 that my mom tried to give me that she had bought at a garage sale after completing a three or four day women’s only shooting and tactics course. It turned out to be way too big for her and instead of selling it for something smaller, since she had a really good job, she offered it to me for free but since I just wasn’t that into guns, I told her to sell it and use the money to get something a lot more her.

I even tried giving my girlfriend the Ruger LC9S I used to carry before I bought the XDE Springfield I have now but she wouldn’t take it. I’ve taken her to the range one time and the only gun of mine she shot was my Compact Beretta PX4 9mil but it was too much for her little frame. If I didn’t have a Talon grip on it I could’ve let her try it with the smallest back strap but I doubt it would’ve mattered. I’ve even offered to buy her a little 380 but she just won’t take it so, I’ve just made up my mind to leave it at that. It’s no sense in arguing with her because she’s a stubborn, strong-willed person that pushes back harder the harder you push. I don’t like her going unarmed but hopefully if an intruder ever breaks in the house, she knows where the little 9mm Beretta is and where my little five-shot pocket rocket 22 magnum revolver is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
My primary carry, if I carry, is a G23.4. It's my choice my gun rights include not carrying. How many of the people who have permits have not fired a handgun since. Ray Charles could pass our carry class. The safety and general information portion is excellent. I shoot at an indoor range. The general level or marksmanship sucks seriously. How to use the gun has to be factored in to carry discussion. How many people carry who look like a monkey making love to a football handling a handgun?

My sister lives alone. She passed the carry class marksman course at a 100% using my Model 19-5 using 38 special handloads at 100% She is interesting home defense. That should be good enough.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I’ve recently been going through firearms my father-in-law owns And doing some deep cleaning on them. I was with him when he purchase a couple. He wanted a gun to carry, and he thought the 1911 was the be-all/end-all handgun. He got one, I went out with him a couple times, when he shot it. Months went by, he went to a gun show with me. Said he needed something smaller and lighter for carry. He picked up a PPK clone. We went out and shot a box of ammo through it. This was in the mid-1990s.

As I’m cleaning these things and detail stripping them I come to the realization he likely never really carried either, and most likely the only rounds fired through them were when we shot them together. Now, his shotgun and deer rifle on the other hand, saw plenty of use.

he had a couple other handguns that were handed down from his father. A Ruger Single Six, which I was allowed to purchase. It had a brick of ammo with only a partial box having been fired. Magnum cylinder still in it’s box never having been fired. Sales slip was in the brick of ammo. Dated 1969. So, it seems his immediate family were not big into handgun shooting. Story went that his Dad bought the pistol at a hardware store after being harassed on the road by some Hells Angels While they were towing their camping trailer. He fired those rounds in the desert while they were camping, and just wanted the pistol in case the bikers showed up. I guess he loaded up the magnum cylinder, but never fired any of the WMR rounds. Pretty sure the old revolver got cleaned after the trip and didn’t see the light of day again until I bought it.

Some folks just won’t ever get into it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts