Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hero took out the mass shooter from 40 yards with a carry gun. I don't even shoot over 15 yards with my carry guns. Maximum range is 25 yards where I shoot. Could I hit a silhouette target from 25 yards with my Ruger LCR or SIG P290RS or Beretta Pico? Never tried it so I don't know. Next trip to the range I will try. With my range guns no problem. Pocket guns, won't be easy. They said the hero was carrying a Glock & shot 10 times so I know it wasn't a 42 or 43. I can't carry anything bigger comfortably.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I never saw anything about the good guy's gun, but I read he was wearing t-shirt and shorts, and the pictures of him show him a lot skinnier than me. Maybe a G-19? The 27 and 43X show mag capacity of ten - did he stop at ten because that was all he had, empty the magazine?

·
Registered
218 Posts
The range I go to has backstops set at 10, 20 and 30 yds. I always set up at 10 yards, but will occasionally put a target up at 30. With my Kahr CT380 and Ruger LCP max - I struggle getting on paper. With my Sig P365 I can do much better.
With my larger guns- Canik DA or Elite, Beretta 92, Sig 228 and so on- I can do it.
BUT...a 40+ yard hit with small handgun is a good shot.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I just did the yearly LEOSA shoot and this year it was just four shots at 25 yards anywhere on the silhouette. Not very difficult, but add another 15 yards and I'd say this man was doing some shooting and under stresstoo.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Last news article I read said he may have connected with his very first shot. Distance may have been 50 yards and he closed to 40, if I read it right. Time to set up the steel out a little farther. Maybe a drill, Eli's Nightmare, ten rounds, start at 50, draw from concealment on buzzer, fire at least one round from 50, close to 40 yards, subcompact pistol only. unmodified, and must navigate between three obstacles to simulate innocent bystanders, must score 8 hits on target, 1 must be A Zone, total time allowed 15 seconds. Might be a little eye opening for us.
Edited the drill to reflect the coroner stated the murderer was hit 8 times and the Chief stated the entire shootout took 15 seconds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hero took out the mass shooter from 40 yards with a carry gun. I don't even shoot over 15 yards with my carry guns. Maximum range is 25 yards where I shoot. Could I hit a silhouette target from 25 yards with my Ruger LCR or SIG P290RS or Beretta Pico? Never tried it so I don't know. Next trip to the range I will try. With my range guns no problem. Pocket guns, won't be easy. They said the hero was carrying a Glock & shot 10 times so I know it wasn't a 42 or 43. I can't carry anything bigger comfortably.
Remeber he was 22 with all the vibrato that goes with a 22 year old.
Great accuracy --> 10 shots at 40 yards with 7 hits (according to the LEOs) with a Glock! The killer had a Glock also and it looked like a 43 or 26.

·
Registered
20 Posts
40 yards? In a crowded shopping mall. One heck of a shot and or shots.
It was in the Food Court (so it was not so crowded with people standing up and milling around) and the killer was at the restroom portal (a easy to see and the killer was not running around). The Good Samaritan did a very good thing (protecting the innocent) and accomplished difficult shoots for most civiliams. The GS is to be thanked and wished "God Speed" with his own psychological trauma!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Last news article I read said he may have connected with his very first shot. Distance may have been 50 yards and he closed to 40, if I read it right. Time to set up the steel out a little farther. Maybe a drill, Eli's Nightmare, ten rounds, start at 50, draw from concealment on buzzer, fire at least one round from 50, close to 40 yards, subcompact pistol only. unmodified, and must navigate between three obstacles to simulate innocent bystanders, must score 8 hits on target, 1 must be A Zone, total time allowed 15 seconds. Might be a little eye opening for us.
Edited the drill to reflect the coroner stated the murderer was hit 8 times and the Chief stated the entire shootout took 15 seconds.
The LEO said 7 out of 10 shoots and the coroner confirmed 8 out of 10! Truly remarkable and magnificent shooting! Truly a wonderful savings of tens of lives in Indiana. My Hero!
(And the Bain of Gun Banners as he proved them All Wrong!)
Kudos Eli!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This story is driving leftists crazy. Some in the media are bashing the 22 year old man who stopped the shooter. They say he was carrying illegally (false) & should be arrested & it was wrong to shoot the bad guy. I would ask them, if you were in that mall getting shot at would you want the good guy armed? Yes or no? If nobody did anything for an hour like in Uvalde how many would have died? Maybe dozens. Anyway, this afternoon I'm going to see if I can hit a paper silhouette target at 25 yards 8 of 10 times with 3 of my smallest carry guns. Ruger LCR 38, SIG P290RS 9mm & Beretta Pico. Will show my results later.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's my results. 10 shots from 25 yards with 3 of my carry guns. Also one range gun for comparison; Canik TP9SF. Surprised I hit the paper, never tried this with pocket guns. My local range is only 25 yards. I really need to adjust windage on my Beretta Pico 380 & Canik. Way off.
Labyrinth Green Maze Font Grass
Labyrinth Font Maze Audio equipment Grass
Green Gesture Rectangle Font Grass
Trigger Recreation Font Red Gun barrel

Had a decent group going with the Canik but blew it with that 6:00 shot. I'll call it a flyer like it's Youtube. : ) Upper right target.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I need to do that....I've always shot at 7/10 yards with my carry guns. Occasionally set up a 30 yd for fun. I need to get serious with long range shooting. My range max is 30. If you can hit at 30- close up will be automatic.

P.S. How do you like that Canik? I have the SF Elite which is slightly smaller- 15 round. And the DA, which is full size with a DA/SA trigger and a decocker. Mine have been fantastic....and they were a little over $300 when I bought them. That was the best buy in hand guns I have ever seen.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I need to do that....I've always shot at 7/10 yards with my carry guns. Occasionally set up a 30 yd for fun. I need to get serious with long range shooting. My range max is 30. If you can hit at 30- close up will be automatic.

P.S. How do you like that Canik? I have the SF Elite which is slightly smaller- 15 round. And the DA, which is full size with a DA/SA trigger and a decocker. Mine have been fantastic....and they were a little over $300 when I bought them. That was the best buy in hand guns I have ever seen.
Really liking this Canik. I got the TP9SF right before the pandemic & paid $299 at Academy Sports. Did 2 trigger mods & put on a grip sleeve but stock otherwise. Before I got this my most accurate pistol was my Ruger MK 3 .22 with a Volquartsen trigger kit. I could shoot 3" groups at 25 yards offhand, no rest. 10 shots. The Canik matches that. Well, except for that one bad shot. I'll try this again after I push the sight right. It's hitting slightly left. Used to hit right but I pushed the sight too far left.

·
Administrator
12,761 Posts
Here's my results. 10 shots from 25 yards with 3 of my carry guns. Also one range gun for comparison; Canik TP9SF. Surprised I hit the paper, never tried this with pocket guns. My local range is only 25 yards. I really need to adjust windage on my Beretta Pico 380 & Canik. Way off.
Had a decent group going with the Canik but blew it with that 6:00 shot. I'll call it a flyer like it's Youtube. : ) Upper right target.
Maybe not. Some guns are easy to pull to the side when you pull the trigger. Try resting the gun on a sandbag and try again.

I find some grip shapes have me pull the gun to the side, and some grips do not.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts