Handgun Forum banner

Identify S&W old Revolver

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  EZRIDER 
#1 ·
In need of identifying old revolver so I can order parts to repair the cylinder. 2" barrel, pinned. hand ejector 6 shooter 38 S&W CTG. 80328 on the butt of the gun. Yoke has the #2 in a circle.. letter H to the right of the #. 75 002 under and a 8 underneath everything.
Sleeve Wood Material property Household hardware Metal

See less See more
#5 ·
Looks like your gun is a 38 S&W caliber. Look up Terrier or later a Model 32. I don't know for sure. Hopefully, this would be a clue.

The gun looks good save the spoiled blue. Looks like something that attacked the blue was put on the gun. Is the rest of the gun in the same condition? Hope this gun is not some sort of knockoff.

#6 · (Edited)
Rest of the gun is in same condition. Someone tried taking the cylinder apart and twisted the ejector rod. Thanks for your help. Looks like I can find the right parts off the Model 32 schematic. Do you think it's a I-frame or J-Frame? Made around '53? It has a main coil spring. The main rod has a ball that fits into the hammer, not a hook type like I see on most blueprints. This confused me.

#8 ·
Since it's chambered for the .38 S&W cartridge. That looks like an early S&W I-Frame made before 1950. The first J-Frames came out in 1950 and were beefed up to handle the more powerful .38 Special cartridge. I can't say for sure but some of the parts may be interchangeable with the early J-Frames? You may want to look into that.

#9 ·
I went and looked it up. Looks like OP's gun is a J frame. How about this. The I frame was a five screw including a strain screw. An improved I frame had no strain screw. The old guns had a round sight. Note on OP's gun there is no "bug screw" and the top of the side plate. The front sight is a later ramp sight. OP's gun was made by the serial number in the 1960's. Source is "Standard Catalog of Smith&Wesson" by Supica and Nahas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.