Handgun Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased my first handgun. I bought a Glock 19 gen5 mos only to find out that I could not operate the gun. The new gun was way too stiff out of the box. I will be returning the gun. I need your help in selecting its replacement. I want a really good quality compact or semi compact Semi-automatic pistol. Preferably a 9mm or a 380. I am female and I have a genetic abnormality that I inherited from my mother. The disease is called Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy Type 2. It causes progressive muscle weakness and muscle loss. My hands are definitely weak and they will get weaker over time. There is no treatment or cure. I specifically need a gun with the following properties: 1. It must be light weight 2. Must be able to easily operate the slide 3. The slide lock must be easy to use 4. Must be easily dismantled for cleaning 5. Trigger must be easy to pull 6. Prefer 9mm or 380 7. Semi compact - compact pistol. 8. I am a female with small - medium hands. Please let me know what recommendations you have. I will try the recommended guns at my local gun range before I buy my next gun. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate any suggestions, tips and recommendations you give me.
Buy a revolver. Smith J frame, Kimber K6 or Ruger LCR. Try to find 3inch barrel. No slide to rack, easy cleaning, simple operation. A little range time with 3 inch barrel you will even hit what you are shooting at.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I own thirteen pocket 380's, but two are the same model, Glock 42, Four snubby 38's, one 357 and one 22Magnum and finally one 22LR snubby revolver. I do not own or have experience with a S&W M&P Shield 380 EZ or 9 MM for that matter.

The pocket 380 that I do have that is the closest match to your needs is a Remington RM-380. They are inexpensive, but with the pandemic who knows where to find one, I would try Bud's or Davidson's online. The gun is the easiest to rack of any that that own! It has minimal sights, but enough to work. Reasonable accuracy. all metal, but not real heavy just a small amount of solid heft, Shoots fairly soft for a small 380. Trigger pull light ang smooth, but very long. Quite easy to disassemble. It is not my favorite by far, but closest match to your needs.

Others have mentioned a Sig 238, and they have a ton of variations, I don't own one, but I do own a Polymer framed Colt Mustang XSP, now called Lite. It is similar in operation. It was my favorite of this group until I bought a Springfield 911 380, A lot more expensive than a RM-380, but real sights. I carry it at home daily.

I have an S&W J-frame Revover, model 351PD, that is a seven shot 22 Magnum, good Ballistics with CCI Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammo. Still loud, but loud is good. Easy to shoot well. it or one of my six shot Colt 38's if I carry a revolver. A six shot 327 Federal Magnum, using .32 H&R Mgagnum would work,it also shoots 32 S&W and 32 S&W Long, 327 with 100 grain American Eagle is just too stout.

Out I usually carry a 40

·
Registered
10 Posts
I go along with the S&W EZ .380 picked one up after selling my Sig P238 to my son in law. Nothing wrong with the Sig but he was bugging me to sell it to him for years finally broke down and sold it to him. Put an Armalaser TR28 on it and find it a nice smooth shooting pistol and very easy to rack the slide and load the magazines.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts