Handgun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,713 Posts
Beretta 86. Tip up barrel .380, IF you can find one, discontinued quite some time ago.
That gun gets mentioned a lot in issues like this, but.... With that being a blowback gun, it is not that fun of a gun to shoot. I always thought those Cheetahs had more recoil than a 9mm in the same size.

And when you do have to work the slide (let's face it, sometimes you do), it is harder because the spring is stronger - due to being a blowback design.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased my first handgun. I bought a Glock 19 gen5 mos only to find out that I could
not operate the gun. The new gun was way too stiff out of the box. I will be returning
the gun. I need your help in selecting its replacement. I want a really good quality compact or semi
compact Semi-automatic pistol. Preferably a 9mm or a 380.

I am female and I have a genetic abnormality that I inherited from my mother. The disease is called Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy Type 2. It causes progressive muscle weakness and muscle loss. My hands are definitely weak and they will get weaker over time. There is no treatment or cure. I specifically need a gun with the following properties:

1. It must be light weight
2. Must be able to easily operate the slide
3. The slide lock must be easy to use
4. Must be easily dismantled for cleaning
5. Trigger must be easy to pull
6. Prefer 9mm or 380
7. Semi compact - compact pistol.
8. I am a female with small - medium hands.

Please let me know what recommendations you have. I will try the recommended guns at my
local gun range before I buy my next gun.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate any suggestions, tips and recommendations you give me.
Smith & Wesson M&P EZ 9 or EZ 380.
(There may be a EZ 30 Super Carry model coming out soon.)
I don't think any pistol will meet your criteria but the EZ model fit most.
Try before you buy, as you have learned.
Good luck returning your Glock 19!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased my first handgun. I bought a Glock 19 gen5 mos only to find out that I could
not operate the gun. The new gun was way too stiff out of the box. I will be returning
the gun. I need your help in selecting its replacement. I want a really good quality compact or semi

I am female and I have a genetic abnormality that I inherited from my mother. The disease is called Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy Type 2. It causes progressive muscle weakness and muscle loss. My hands are definitely weak and they will get weaker over time. There is no treatment or cure. I specifically need a gun with the following properties:

6. Prefer 9mm or 380

Please let me know what recommendations you have. I will try the recommended guns at my

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate any suggestions, tips and recommendations you give me.
Hello LadyApparent:
My wife is a petite 5' with very small hands and shared the same issues as yourself in finding a suitable EDC pistol. She finally found that the ergos, size, length of pull/trigger, and ease of manipulating the slide of the Browning 1911 in .380 were optimal for her. Even working in our vegetable garden and/or yard, this pistol is very easy to conceal on her small frame and is comfortable even at appendix carry position. The grip is slightly smaller than even my Sig 365XL, and she shoots it extremely accurately. As is common with anyone new to the 1911 platform, she had to practice a bit of dry-fire in order to be proficient with the grip and thumb safety so that they were easily [un]deployed during presentation on target. Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That gun gets mentioned a lot in issues like this, but.... With that being a blowback gun, it is not that fun of a gun to shoot. I always thought those Cheetahs had more recoil than a 9mm in the same size.

And when you do have to work the slide (let's face it, sometimes you do), it is harder because the apring is stronger due to being a blowback design.
Thank you

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I didn't think about revolvers. I will try them out at the range. I really appreciate your help.
Thank you!!
It is a good thing that you are leaving your options open and that would hold true regardless of your physical requirements. Take your time and try to separate the BS you are likely to get in stores and from "friends and relatives who know all there is to know about guns". Learn to know the difference between really valuable information and crap. Learn the terminology and as much as you can about this new world to you. Best of luck in your search and be assured that we here are happy and pleased to help you as much as we can.

SB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It is a good thing that you are leaving your options open and that would hold true regardless of your physical requirements. Take your time and try to separate the BS you are likely to get in stores and from "friends and relatives who know all there is to know about guns". Learn to know the difference between really valuable information and crap. Learn the terminology and as much as you can about this new world to you. Best of luck in your search and be assured that we here are happy and pleased to help you as much as we can.

SB
Thank you so much. I joined this forum so I could get answers from people on here who are experienced with handguns and know what they're talking about. No one here has a potential financial stake in their answers!!
Everyone has been tremendously helpful. I have returned my glock and I am just taking my time and doing some research on all the different guns. I am trying them out at the range too. It's nice that they let you rent them. Thank all of you for your help. I really appreciate all the great answers and suggestions. Take care!

·
Registered
6 Posts

6. Prefer 9mm or 380

The smoothest revolver trigger is the RugerLCR and .38spl is ~same as the child of a 380+9mm marriage.
Not much to clean here and yeas later can send it to Ruger for an overhaul that costs reasonable.
Can fire this from inside a purse, easy pocket carry (NoSeeUm leather holster)
Also in 9mm that can be more powerful with correct ammo - ref. Lucky Gunner Labs
but has a hammer that can catch when drawing out of hiding
Always get a laser (green is best) & never miss, even from being knocked down positions

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The smoothest revolver trigger is the RugerLCR and .38spl is ~same as the child of a 380+9mm marriage.
Not much to clean here and yeas later can send it to Ruger for an overhaul that costs reasonable.
Can fire this from inside a purse, easy pocket carry (NoSeeUm leather holster)
Also in 9mm that can be more powerful with correct ammo - ref. Lucky Gunner Labs
but has a hammer that can catch when drawing out of hiding
Always get a laser (green is best) & never miss, even from being knocked down positions
Thank you very much for these. I am currently looking at the revolvers. Thanks for the links.
When I bought the glock I purchased a laser for it. I have since returned both.

One question: Why is a green laser better than red?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thank you very much for these. I am currently looking at the revolvers. Thanks for the links.

It isn't. Red can't be followed like many green can, and red holds a tighter beam, on average. It also doesn't wash out in bright light.
Be very weary of counter clerks, not matter where they are. I overheard a clerk tell a customer to commit a federal felony one afternoon. I had the same shocked look as the guy behind me, who heard it too. He asked if I heard what he did, yep. Guy no longer there, but damage done. No amount of convincing could be done to correct what the "expert" told them. Yes, we tried.
Most "experts" are only expert at convincing people they are experts.

·
Registered
9 Posts

This may help answer your question.....The Difference Between Red and Green Lasers | CrimsonTrace. My wife's Kimber K6S has a red Crimson Trace Laser along with tritium night sights. She doesn't use the laser and instead uses the night sights. She doesn't like how she has to grip the revolver to depress the laser button......

ETA: This link shows how the red vs green look under different lighting conditions.....Red vs. Green Laser Sights - Lucky Gunner Lounge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It isn't. Red can't be followed like many green can, and red holds a tighter beam, on average. It also doesn't wash out in bright light.
Be very weary of counter clerks, not matter where they are. I overheard a clerk tell a customer to commit a federal felony one afternoon. I had the same shocked look as the guy behind me, who heard it too. He asked if I heard what he did, yep. Guy no longer there, but damage done. No amount of convincing could be done to correct what the "expert" told them. Yes, we tried.
Most "experts" are only expert at convincing people they are experts.
Thank you so much for the correction and the warning! I will stay with the red Lazer which was my preference.
This may help answer your question.....The Difference Between Red and Green Lasers | CrimsonTrace. My wife's Kimber K6S has a red Crimson Trace Laser along with tritium night sights. She doesn't use the laser and instead uses the night sights. She doesn't like how she has to grip the revolver to depress the laser button......
Thank you for this article. It was an interesting read. I am going to stay with the red laser for now. I pick up reds better than greens. The muscle disease I have also affects one's eyes and other organs. For now, I see reds better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

ETA: This link shows how the red vs green look under different lighting conditions.....Red vs. Green Laser Sights - Lucky Gunner Lounge.
Thank you for another interesting read! As I mentioned above, my eyes pick up red better than green. Both my age (60), and my disease, play a factor in that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Smith & Wesson M&P EZ 9 or EZ 380.
(There may be a EZ 30 Super Carry model coming out soon.)
I don't think any pistol will meet your criteria but the EZ model fit most.
Try before you buy, as you have learned.
Good luck returning your Glock 19!
Thanks for your input! I never fired the Glock so thankfully, they had no problem taking it back for a full refund. The laser was also easily returned. I didn't even open the shipping box.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I won't use a laser or a light on any of my defensive firearms for one main reason. My home is a two-story single family and has a very open floor plan so ambient light tends to make things visible enough that a light or laser is not an issue. But the reason I don't want to use either of these accessories is that they can and most likely will give away my position. Now if someone breaks into my home, I am not about to go hunting them down. The wife and I have a plan in such an event and I am going to stick to it, barring any extraordinary exceptions. The plan has been tested and it works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I won't use a laser or a light on any of my defensive firearms for one main reason. My home is a two-story single family and has a very open floor plan so ambient light tends to make things visible enough that a light or laser is not an issue. But the reason I don't want to use either of these accessories is that they can and most likely will give away my position should. Now if someone breaks into my home, I am not about to go hunting them down. The wife and I have a plan in such an event and I am going to stick to it, barring any extraordinary exceptions. The plan has been tested and it works.
A good practiced plan is always the best option. My home is not an open floor plan. It is very dark when lights are off. I do have my own plan that will be implemented first. There is one place by a window where I will be able to see the bad person but, he won't see me. That is where I will have to stop the person. With compromised vision, especially in the dark, I need that red dot to be confident in my shot. I will be protected by a half wall of concrete.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
A good practiced plan is always the best option. My home is not an open floor plan. It is very dark when lights are off. I do have my own plan that will be implemented first. There is one place by a window where I will be able to see the bad person but, he won't see me. That is where I will have to stop the person. With compromised vision, especially in the dark, I need that red dot to be confident in my shot. I will be protected by a half wall of concrete.
Yes, everyone who is of a mind to defend themselves and their home needs to have a well thought out plan which they can implement easily and effectively. There are so many variables to consider when doing this but it is best done before any bad situation presents itself. The goal is to (1) know where the break-in occurred, (2) cause the bad guy(s) to exit your home immediately, (3) if they do not exit right away you must already be prepared to... (3) terminate their presence in your home.

There is an ongoing debate about whether or not it is a good idea to shout out for them to get out, that the police are on the way, and that you are armed. Some believe this is very dangerous as it will give away your location. Others will argue that by not doing this you could diminish your vail of innocence if you have to resort to deadly force. The first argument holds a lot of water, whereas the second one is largely going to depend upon the state in which you live. If you decide to shout out a warning and they do not leave your home, then you have an entirely different scenario on your hands as they have just opened the door to a free fire zone. It is always a good idea to know the laws in your state regarding such events before you are faced with something like this.

·
Super Moderator
12,713 Posts
I have night lights scattered all over my residence. It keeps hiding spots lit up, so I can see things. No place for a bad guy to hide where I live.

They go one and off depending on if it is dark or not.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Today you can get controllers that can turn on and off lights from a persons smart phone. Another good idea is a intercom that can be spaced around the inside of the house with the master unit in the bedroom with that you can warn them with out letting them know where you are at plus be able to listen to what is happening through out.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts