Handgun Forum banner

How many rounds do you typically shoot?

4K views 43 replies 29 participants last post by  rvjoe 
#1 ·
In a normal range session - how many rounds do you typically fire when you go target shooting? (handguns - not rifles)

#3 ·
My normal allotment is 110 rounds. If I take more than two guns, or one of a different caliber, I increase that number some.

#4 ·
I haven’t gone to the range as regularly as I used to, once the shut down my local shooting pit, then ammo shortages and COVID, and a new job. Just haven’t figured out how to make it happen as regularly as I once was.

When I was going out shooting twice a month or more, I was burning 100-200 rounds of handgun ammo per session.

Now when I go, maybe quarterly, I tend to use 200 per session as the average and sometimes more. Trying to maximize the range time as I have to drive further, spend more on range fees, and ammo, and the trips are less frequent.

#6 ·
With The ammo shortages and my latest focus having been on snubby revolvers, I had looked into low round count drills to try for practice. Previous range sessions would usually start with a 50 round Dot Torture drill to warm up Or to compare one handguns performance to another. But lately when comparing one handgun to another I’ve been using the “Old Bakersfield Police Department course of fire” or my own variation of range rules don’t allow me to draw from a holster or force a slower shot to shot count. The standard drill only requires 10 rounds. I like to add weak hand only shooting to it as well which adds another few rounds.

#8 ·
Usually just a few magazines full of SD ammunition and 100 rounds whatever .22 I want to play with. The range is mine so it's not like I'm traveling to shoot. When I do go to a State range I bring a lot more, both rifle and handgun.

Reactions: Shipwreck
#9 ·
200 rounds total for my two 9mms. 50 rounds through my S&W® BODYGUARD® 38 Special; 25 rounds each through my two Ruger® Blackhawk® 41 Magnums. So 300 rds per range trip.

#17 ·
It's been a LONG time since I've gone to the range. My previous range became lead free completely prior to COVID so I stopped going there and just when the pandemic hit, it became too difficult to go to my new range due to the lockdown. Also, the new range was a bit farther to get too. Anyway, prior to that, I typically only take two guns and go through about 300-400rds depending on the caliber and whether I take more than two guns. Only two guns because it's easier to clean afterwards (I'm real OCD about having clean guns) and it's not always equal number of rounds for each, i.e. .22lr guns obviously burn up a lot more rounds whereas I'd only go about 50rd-100rds MAX if it was my SW M29 with full house .44mags.

#19 ·
At an indoor range, I usually take 4-5 pistols being the ones I carry for SD. Usually three CZs -75b, P-01, and 97b, a S&W Bodyguard, and a CZ 82. Occasionally I'll take one of my Makarovs as well. The 75b has a Kadet kit for .22 that gets about 75rds.

The 9mm pistols get a couple boxes of 9mm, 30 rds of .45, the J-frame gets three cylinders for 15 rds., and the 82 gets 25 rds.

If I have recently bought handguns that are for trade material, they'll get a test of a couple of mags or a couple of cylinders to check for function.

Other safe guns may get an occasional firing, but my Ruger single actions usually are for outside firing/plinking in the woods and farm.

As I go to the range a couple of times a month always during the morning, there's often no one else there. I typically spend a couple of hours or more, take my time, and enjoy the process. I do politely speak to others if someone shows up, but don't let others interfere with my range time. I never let anyone fire my guns nor do I give out ammo to range moochers.

At the range, I prefer being the silent guy that people tend to leave alone.

#21 ·
It sort of amazes me at the high round counts I hear on all firearms forums. It sort of makes sense, though, if one is practicing repelling human wave assaults. :)

That said, I see that all sorts of "combat" type competitions have an appeal for many. Not me, but if that's someone's hobby, more power to them.

Guess my first marksmanship instructor, Sgt. Hunter, taught me wrong. That was when "spray and pray", popularized in Vietnam, had only just started started to influence civilian firearms practices and high capacity wonder nines were yet to arrive.

When you're an impressionable 14 year old kid, you can easily be led astray. It was his fault for stopping me when I'd done poorly after firing only ten rounds to counsel me on weapons and muscle control, trigger discipline -- all that associated Fudd stuff.

If I fire all 50 rounds from one gun per range session, it's because I don't want to carry a partial box home with me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.