Handgun Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Thanks for all the info. He left last night. He is looking forward to the residency period so he can hunt.
He HATES the cold. When the snow starts falling, I will be sending him pictures of Mike and I sitting out by the pool in short sleeve shirts with cold beer.
if he hates the cold he is scr#%[email protected]!
Residency applies to LTC only, not long guns. And i THINK (check DEC zones on this http://www.dec.ny.gov/ ) that he is in a rifle zone (some are shotgun only)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gifting and waiting

What part of NY? Each county has some slightly different rules.

In general, you need to have a license to posses a handgun in New York - even in your home. The good news is that most (almost all) of the licenses issued are to carry concealed, although the issuing judge may add his or her own restrictions to the license. NYS law makes no provision for restrictions, and as it was explained to me by a State Trooper, the "restrictions" on the license are the purposes for which the license was issued, not legal limitations on how or ware the handgun can be carried. Although NYC and Buffalo are off limits.

I believe the right way to do it would be to have the guns shipped by a FFL in AZ to a FFL in NY who will hold them until the license is issued. Alternatively, he could probably leave them in someone's care in AZ and then transfer them into NY after the license is issued. A word of caution though, all the handguns in your possession have to be listed on the license. NY likes to know what kind of toys you have.

It amazes me that with such a simple and easy to navigate system involving about $200 in costs, a thorough background check, lots of paper work and running around, a 3 to 6 month wait and multiple trips to a notary, criminals still would rather buy a gun on the black-market instead of just following the rules. :smt1099

Here is a helpful website that explains the process in my county:

Orange County Shooters
In reading this I find myself with one question: In moving to NY State can I gift to my brother who is a resident of NY while waiting for a license?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Only if you ship, via FFL and from out of state, your firearms. That said, no license is necessary to own long guns, just pistols.
Alao note that simce the unSAFE act, to get your pistils BACK from your brother yhey would have to be transferred agaun via FFL. And finding one who will do so NOW is nie impossible. The act limits what they can charge you, and they have NO interest in doing all the federal paperwork they have to do for $20

·
Registered
169 Posts
My middle daughter spent her entire 4 years in the Army at Ft Drum. I flew up in February 04 when she got back from Afghanistan and it was the coldest place I ever visited - and I was raised in Minnesota. The morning after I got there I turned on the TV news and they announced the temperature was 27 below zero and that was not with the wind chill. Pretty country in the summer though...

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
This is an older post but to whom it may concern:
In general, you need to have a license to posses a handgun in New York - even in your home. The good news is that most (almost all) of the licenses issued are to carry concealed, although the issuing judge may add his or her own restrictions to the license. NYS law makes no provision for restrictions, and as it was explained to me by a State Trooper, the "restrictions" on the license are the purposes for which the license was issued, not legal limitations on how or ware the handgun can be carried. Although NYC and Buffalo are off limits.
If the license has restrictions on it such as target and hunting the handgun can only be carried for those purposes. To and from target shooting or while engaged in lawful hunting activities. So indeed there are limitations on how or where the handgun can be carried. They will not issue a license for self defense. So technically if used for that purpose while at home you could be in violation of the terms for that license and have that license revoked. Same for carrying it while not engaging in the purposes for which it was issued. There is a statement on the license that it is "revokable at any time". They also issue "premises only" which allows you to have the handgun on your premises but you can't take it out. How the hell are you supposed to practice with it? You may also get a "business only" license which allows you to take it from your home and to your place of business, no where else or to be kept at your place of business. So you can't practice with it either unless your business is a shooting range. If stopped, will a cop bust your balls over these technicalities is anyones guess? The good news is that you can not be charged with illegal possession of a handgun, which is a criminal offense. But you will most certainly have your license revoked and your registered handguns seized, pending the outcome of an appeal. The application forms will ask very specific questions as to how and where the handgun will be carried. Unrestricted licenses or full carry are primarily issued to retired law enforcement and corrections officers or the politically well connected. New York State does not have a pre-emption law so it is up to the licensing officer of each individual county to determine what type of restrictions if any will be on the license. For example: If you live in Chemung County and the licensing officer issues unrestricted carry licenses to it's residents you may carry anywhere in New York State (this includes counties that only issue restricted carry licenses) except for New York City and Buffalo. If you live in a county where restricted permits are only issued you can only carry for the purposes for which the license was issued throughout New York State (this includes counties where unrestricted licenses are issued). Some counties have safe storage laws such as Westchester County where a law enforcement officer may come to your home to inspect your premises to ensure that the handgun(s) are safely stored. These laws were designed solely for the purposes of discouraging anyone from possessing a handgun for any purpose whatsoever. With the passage of the "Safe Act" possession of any magazine both handgun and long gun that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds is now illegal and subject to a felony charge. I used to live there, had a handgun license there, I have friends, relatives and know police officers who live there. We talk about all this unnecessary bull shit all the time. And of how lucky I am to live in Arizona.

Oh and one other thing: If the registered handgun is not locked up and inaccessible a spouse or other family member who does not have a license for that handgun could be charged with illegal possession of a weapon. Also you may only carry or possess the handgun(s) that are listed on the license.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
tHANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. i HAVE HIM CONVINCED TO LEAVE MOST OF THE GUNS HERE UNTILL HE CAN LEGALY OWN THEM.
tell him not to take even one with him until he gets a NY Permit. If he gets caught with one, off to jail, no questions. NY has a zero tolerance policy now for handguns. There have been many instances of truckers driving through, being checked at stops, finding handgun and off to jail. I would not even risk taking one because if he is caught before he is approved to own one, he will never get the permit in NY. Left there 7 years ago and never sorry to be out of there. LIfe here is a whole lot easier, at least with the firearm issue. NY is now run by a bunch of fascist politicians who believe they know better than everyone.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
My middle daughter spent her entire 4 years in the Army at Ft Drum. I flew up in February 04 when she got back from Afghanistan and it was the coldest place I ever visited - and I was raised in Minnesota. The morning after I got there I turned on the TV news and they announced the temperature was 27 below zero and that was not with the wind chill. Pretty country in the summer though...
yeah, four months of the year it's beautiful. The other eight months, it's overcast, raining, snowing or a combination of the two. Don't have to worry about skin cancer up there though. You never see the sun out for more than 20 minutes.

and if you just love winter outdoor sports, it's definitely the place to be.

·
Supporting Member
5,681 Posts
Depends on where in ny you live.
No hurricanes, no tornadoes, no poisonous snakes,lol. Beautiful Great Lakes, no sharks,lol.
Snowmobiling , skiing, ice skating.
I guess it depends on one's likes n dislikes.
I love it all, fla, California ,Arizona,Texas ,Ny.
As far as climate is concerned.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
We currently live in Upstate NY (WNY to be exact!). We recently purchased a home in Kentucky and will be retiring there in August!! We just came back after spending 2 weeks at our new "home"! Definitely going to be one of the best things we have ever done! Gas is $.75/gallon cheaper in KY! When you hit 65 y/o you qualify for a homestead tax exemption. After speaking to my neighbors it sounds like my property taxes will be in the neighborhood of $300-$400/year!! On a $100,000+ home!! Not bad!!

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
high pockets:
Had an opportunity to move to NJ. Saying NO was the best decision I have made.
I would say you made a wise decision. New Jersey's gun laws are even more atrocious then New York's. Although the "Safe Act" may have changed that. At least in New York while traveling to and from a target range or while hunting the handgun can be carried loaded and concealed. In some cases while hunting carried openly. In New Jersey the handgun must be unloaded and in a locked container while traveling to and from a target range.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Depends on where in ny you live. }QUOTE

here's what we do:

No hurricanes, ( leave town) no tornadoes (hope they land two streets over, and they usually stay inland so you need to live along the coast), no poisonous snakes (shoot em with your carry gun) ,lol. Beautiful Great Lakes (Lakes Marion, Moulltrie and others) , no sharks (shoot em with your carry gun),lol.

Snowmobiling (what's snow???), skiing( as in "water???"), ice skating (indoor ice rink and local hockey club).

I guess it depends on one's likes n dislikes. (57 years of snow, I've grown to hate it and don't care if I ever see it again, that's why I moved here)

I love it all, fla, California ,Arizona,Texas ,Ny.
As far as climate is concerned.

·
Supporting Member
5,681 Posts
Been to S.Carolina a few times, very very nice.
Played in the annual amateur golf tourney they have in myrtle beach area.

On one particular golf course (farmstead) we "teed off" in South Carolina and on the same hole we were "putting" in North Carolina. It was a par 6 .
I could live there year round !
:smt1099

21 - 34 of 34 Posts