Handgun Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Earlier I posted what to me was a joke answer about meditation.
The truth is that I like to take my little Ruger single action .22 and a pocket full of loose shells and plink.
My favorite is to pick up shotgun shell hulls that someone else was too busy to clean up and set them up by the backstop. I place them on the bare ground and send them flying by shooting just a tad low in order to splash them with dirt and send them flying. By the time I have shot and reloaded ten or twelve times and picked up ALL of the range trash I am all out of angst.:cool:

GW

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks, how about you? How are you able to maintain your mental well-being this time of the year? I hope you're with your family while you celebrate the New Year! Nothing's ever happier than to be with your loved ones at this end of the year celebration. :)
I did, I had fun celebrating New Year with my family and and my cousin's family (they've decided to spend the New Year with us), so it became a bigger party that night. We drunk the whole night tbh lol. How about you? I hope you also had a great New Year with your family or relatives.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had some bouts of anxiety, even losing a job over it. At that time, I ended up going to a psychologist and getting some drugs to help me get out of it. Since then, I've learned to identify the symptoms much earlier before I start to spiral down the hole of hopelessness.

My form of anxiety tends to take the form that in a task I don't really want to do, every tiny speedbump seems like a mountain. So I procrastinate the task, feel guilty about it, and then spiral into a state where I can't accomplish anything. When I do see this happening, I've found that the best approach is to acknowledge it, point out to myself that there isn't anyone else who is going to do this task, and I visualize the time when this task is complete and how much better that will feel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Be very careful about discussing mental health issues with ANYbody if you own guns! Including a doctor, therapist, family and on public places like this forum. They can have your guns taken away, especially if you live in a red flag state.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Anxiety-worry about the future
Depression-rooted in the past
I try to stay in the present as in Day to day. Boy is that difficult!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I don't suffer much anxiety at all. I mean, some minor things can bother me, but I thank God every day I wake up. At least there's no dirt over my body and I am alive and well. That, alone, goes a very long way in keeping any feelings of anxiety out of my life.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Life is beautiful, I can say that because last month I hit 3/4's of a century in age. Hard to believe. But it does tend to put things in perspective.
Belated happy birthday SouthernBoy! Welcome back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First, make sure you are eating healthy and include a multi-vitamin every other day or so. Stay hydrated and don’t over indulge in the booze

Second, get some outdoor, in sunlight exercise.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What type of anxiety? I have been dealing with anxiety that leads to panic attacks, Then there are the night terrors when I don't deal with it. I was clinically diagnosed with PTSD. Been going on for a very long time, can't even remember anymore when exactly they started.

I tried "therapy" and that only made things worse. I found my way to control it totally by accident. Running, in specific Trail Running. I would guess that being on the trail away from all the noise and stress as well as the physical exertion changes something in a person's brain. The more I ran the less I has anxiety and as a result, lessened the panic and night terrors. Put it this way I was at urgent care so much they knew me by name, at least twice a month. I now end up there maybe twice a year.

When I was younger, hunting used to be my outlet, well I guess actually it was just being out in the forest because I did more hiking and sitting in the quiet than actual hunting.
Any kind of vigorous exercise is the greatest anxiety medication. You pick. Run, lift weights, cut the grass with a push mower... the endorphins released are a natural equivalent to benzodiazepines except without those pesky side effects like memory loss and dependence. I discovered the same thing you did years ago after letting the VA literally PRACTICE medicine on me for years. They just give you a prescription and keep adding to it or switching until something works. If you get horrible side effects that are worse than the reason for taking the medicine, they just tell you to hang in there because "you'll get used to it".

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
I have my own blood pressure cuff thanks to the nice doctor. I have found that I can do a bit of meditation that reduces my blood pressure to that of a healthy young man.
I try hard not to dwell on the absolute BULLSHIT that the lefty media spews hourly.
I try to exercise regularly and eat healthy.
Tomorrow my favorite angst destroyer shall be deployed. Range time with a life long friend patterning my new to me Benelli Super Black Eagle with all five of the OEM Benelli chokes. We might even burn off some precious ammo through a couple of pistols.
I will bring my camera so I can share pics and lower anxiety for others.😉

Reactions: pic
41 - 54 of 54 Posts