Handgun Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, I know its here to stay,its not a "boycott" I just have no need for a computer in my pocket that not only tracks my movement but also any conversation I have.I tried a smart phone when my last phone stopped working.It lasted 2 days.It did not come with a printed manual, I had to go online anytime I wanted to do anything with it.If I wasnt near my computer,I sure as hell couldnt figure out how to use the phone to access a manual.It is now on the side of the road on Rt22 near Dover somewhere.Tossed it right out the car window and found a new old flip phone.I need a phone...period.I can text, but usually if I have to respond with more than a yes or no, I just call the person and talk.Remember talking on a phone?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Yeah, I know its here to stay,its not a "boycott" I just have no need for a computer in my pocket that not only tracks my movement but also any conversation I have.I tried a smart phone when my last phone stopped working.It lasted 2 days.It did not come with a printed manual, I had to go online anytime I wanted to do anything with it.If I wasnt near my computer,I sure as hell couldnt figure out how to use the phone to access a manual.It is now on the side of the road on Rt22 near Dover somewhere.Tossed it right out the car window and found a new old flip phone.I need a phone...period.I can text, but usually if I have to respond with more than a yes or no, I just call the person and talk.Remember talking on a phone?
I love it!!!

Myself, I've never owned and never will own a smart phone. I have a Trac Phone that does two things and two things only. I can make a call and receive a call. After all that's what a phone is for. It's also a back up to my regular home phone. If I want to look something up, send an e-mail, post on a forum I have a computer at home.

I rarely even use the Trac Phone and never gave anyone my Trac Phone number. I only bring it with me when I'm out of the house for use in case of an emergency.

I've seen so many people out and about texting and yacking away on those God damn things completely oblivious to their surroundings. Even when they're out on the highway. Some while driving and some that pull over, come to a stop and block the f'n road causing a traffic jam. Sure it's probably illegal but the cops are never around and these people don't give a shit anyway.

I don't know? Maybe I'm old school, but what the hell did people do before they ever had such things?

·
Registered
446 Posts
You're mostly speaking greek to me.This is exactly why I dont,and will never have a smart phone.My sons friends showed me how if they talk about a subject the phones would all start sending them related messages.My wife uses some "Alexa" thing for music.Whenever I walk in the room I unplug it.I would be talking to my dogs and this spy box that seemed to be off,would start talking.:Sorry, I didnt understand Beau".I hate technology.
Fair enough. When you look at the internet, what button do you clock? If you use a MAC it is probably Safari, if Windows, you get Edge, formally Internet Explorer. Fire Fox, Brave and Vivaldi are alternates to that and much less intrusive into your business. If you want to try either Brave or Firefox, look them up and they will walk you through the install and allow you to transfer your favorites. Vivaldi is a bit more complex and probably not for you. It is dirt simple when you get it set up, but you may need a 12 year old delinquent to get you up and running.
Duck Duck Go and Start Page will be the easiest to get working for the tech challenged. Type in either click on the result and it should give you the option to set it as your search engine (Also Internet Explorer, or Edge. I don't know what Safari defaults to), these will keep your internet searches and page visits to themselves much better than other things out there. QWANT and MetGer are also search engines with European roots, and the folks across the pond claim to have very strict privacy policies and laws, so they work well at keeping thing to themselves as well.
I won't allow anything Alexa or Siri in the house. I do have a remote for the TV with Alexa, but it has never been connected to the WIFI.
I get your frustration. I keep Lost-Father-In-Laws machine running for him, and he is about as tech savvy as a rock on many things. Step dad lets his Yankee bud mess his computer up and asks me to fix it. I have spent hours repairing things that should never have been messed with. Told him the next time the guy touched it, and I had to fix it, he'd lose everything he has on it. Not exactly true, but it is to that point of doing a reset and starting over. It has been over a year, so he doesn't have problems since retiring, he listened and asks me to do what he needs in the first place, or it is hosed and he won't ask. I won't even attempt to do anything on their I Phones, for the reasons above. I'd screw them up.
I can feel your pain.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I never wanted a cell phone.After 9/11 I was off the radar for a week at Ground zero.My wife and kids all had cells and put me on their plan so I'd have a way to get in touch in an emergency.I said "but the cell phones werent working in the days after so what good is it"? So it went in the glove in my car for about 2 years.I didnt know my number and couldnt retrieve messages for over a year.If somebody wanted my number I'd hand them the phone and tell them to figure it out.Before cell phones and contact lists I could remember a phone number after dialing it once,not anymore.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Of course the flip side of that is if I miss several days I get a little edgy.
Isn't that the truth!, raining days are the worst. I can feel it coming on and try to get out running before I'm not able to put it in check.

Reactions: pic and VAMarine

·
Supporting Member
5,602 Posts
I call it the rebound effect,
I Try to focus or reflect on the last workout.
My heart is strong, my lungs have great capacity.
Take a few deep breaths throughout the day and feel the lung capacity.
Much of the panics or anxiety lead to the heart . Anxiety runs very strongly on my fathers side, my mothers side , cool as a cucumber.
Genetics can play a big part.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
I meditate, and I try not to mince words so that I don't cause unnecessary angst with those I deal with.

GW

·
Administrator
4,135 Posts
Isn't that the truth!, raining days are the worst. I can feel it coming on and try to get out running before I'm not able to put it in check.
Home gym 1.0 is in the works.

A couple more rubber mats, $600 for a squat rack and ohhh......$1300 in plates and I'll be all set.

Seemed expensive until I looked at a pile of handguns ranging from $500 - $3200 that I'm not even carrying at this time...

Come on Guvna', Bring on more gym closures, I double dare ya.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hey guys, I am reading stuff about stress, anxiety and I bumped into this page (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/managing-stress-anxiety.html). There are important information and links that might be useful to us individually, considering our situation right now.

I think our mental well-being is really important especially at this time. Sometimes I get frustrated with all these things we are feeling and I am having a hard time calming myself. And I found the community here and the things I read on that article and a few other good reads are indeed helpful.

·
Supporting Member
5,602 Posts
Home gym 1.0 is in the works.

A couple more rubber mats, $600 for a squat rack and ohhh......$1300 in plates and I'll be all set.

Seemed expensive until I looked at a pile of handguns ranging from $500 - $3200 that I'm not even carrying at this time...

Come on Guvna', Bring on more gym closures, I double dare ya.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Maybe Santa will drop off a peloton or similar type online spinning bicycles.

·
Supporting Member
5,602 Posts
I think Santa needs to drop off some zanax to some of you.
In some cases that's the solution ( zanax ).
If you can use as needed and not increase the dosage. The dr will go for it.
But, i always have a BUT ( lol ) ,,, your body builds a quick tolerance to the drug.
I ask the DR. you don't want patients taking benzodiazepines every day but it's ok to take these LSD HALLUCINAGENIC serotonin inhibitors.
Take these for two weeks and if you're still not feeling well, we'll try something different.
During the two week period you can vomit, your jaw could flutter, you can't sleep.

That's when DENNERS remedy comes into play ,,,
JACK DANIELS

·
Registered
29 Posts
@CatchySaver It is definitely hard out there man. I have picked up a few new tools and have learned some skills. I have built some stuff for my 8m old daughter out of wood. A pikler, a learning tower, as well as some similar stuff for friends. I also have done quite a bit of house DIY projects to stay busy and to have things to look forward to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks, how about you? How are you able to maintain your mental well-being this time of the year? I hope you're with your family while you celebrate the New Year! Nothing's ever happier than to be with your loved ones at this end of the year celebration. :)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts