Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With this pandemic still threatening us, how are you dealing with anxiety? Do you hunt in the wilds with your favorite hunting rifle, practice with your guns etc? Feel free to share your different coping technics here. :)

·
Supporting Member
5,612 Posts
With this pandemic still threatening us, how are you dealing with anxiety? Do you hunt in the wilds with your favorite hunting rifle, practice with your guns etc? Feel free to share your different coping technics here. :)
Good question, are you referring to a type of restlessness anxiety ?
I know people that are medically diagnosed with anxiety, which can lead to panic attacks, inability to socialize without medications.

Sounds like you're referring to boredom, want to strangle the wife, lol.
Type of couped up anxiety.

I usually go for a bicycle ride, or hot tub, and a light swim in a clean n heated pool of course, great lung exercise the swimming, even with a mild breast stroke, ear plugs n goggles recommended

·
Registered
451 Posts
First thing I did is turn off the TV. There is plenty to watch, I just stay off the local channels and away from the Communist Nooz Channels.
Go fishing, go for a walk, go load, go shoot, go outside. There is always something to do around the house abnd something to do, period.

Reactions: gifbohane

·
Registered
19 Posts
What type of anxiety? I have been dealing with anxiety that leads to panic attacks, Then there are the night terrors when I don't deal with it. I was clinically diagnosed with PTSD. Been going on for a very long time, can't even remember anymore when exactly they started.

I tried "therapy" and that only made things worse. I found my way to control it totally by accident. Running, in specific Trail Running. I would guess that being on the trail away from all the noise and stress as well as the physical exertion changes something in a person's brain. The more I ran the less I has anxiety and as a result, lessened the panic and night terrors. Put it this way I was at urgent care so much they knew me by name, at least twice a month. I now end up there maybe twice a year.

When I was younger, hunting used to be my outlet, well I guess actually it was just being out in the forest because I did more hiking and sitting in the quiet than actual hunting.

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
Saddle up and go for a ride or go out in my front yard and target practice

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@pic @USABAKER I didn't know there are different kinds of anxiety, so I went on to research, and the closest one about what I feel is generalized anxiety disorder. I do feel worried a lot even if it doesn't make any sense. Do I really need to seek help from a psychiatrist as it says in the article I read?

·
Registered
19 Posts
With the issues my daughter is having, I'm thinking of making 8x10 copies of my son-in-laws picture and taking them to the range
My daughter is a Staff Sgt in the US Army and just when though a nasty divorce. SO I know how you feel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I didn't know there are different kinds of anxiety, so I went on to research, and the closest one about what I feel is generalized anxiety disorder. I do feel worried a lot even if it doesn't make any sense. Do I really need to seek help from a psychiatrist as it says in the article I read?
Internet is the LAST place I would look for health and medical advice. If it's that big of a worry go see your GP and discuss it. You never know, it could be just the 5 cups of coffee that one might drink in a day, something simple.

If you did go see someone it would be a Therapist rather then a Psychiatrist, I know tit for tat, but there are differences.

·
Supporting Member
5,612 Posts
@pic @USABAKER I didn't know there are different kinds of anxiety, so I went on to research, and the closest one about what I feel is generalized anxiety disorder. I do feel worried a lot even if it doesn't make any sense. Do I really need to seek help from a psychiatrist as it says in the article I read?
GAD, yes,
The dr will put you through a string of serotonin related drugs, guinea pig trials I call them.
If those don't work, they sometimes make it worse.
Dopamine, Adrenaline,
Sometimes, all you need is a Zanax, but they frown on the benzo type drugs. Valium , zanax , klonopin.

Running is a great cardio exercise that seems to reset the mind and body.

·
Registered
451 Posts
LOL. Lots of well meaning advice and most of it cost you nothing to try, and if it works, all the better. Your body and mind will be easier.
As noted, if it is interfering with daily life, time to bail and get professional help. Shop around, seek opinions, and patient reviews. Be sure to read them well, because sometimes reviews aren't what they seem in the first few lines.
Would relay and experience I had, but don't want to chance it being misunderstood. No, not with a Dr.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ok,on a side note.I've deleted about a dozen emails about anxiety remedies today.Tell me again how nobody is watching on the net?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ok,on a side note.I've deleted about a dozen emails about anxiety remedies today.Tell me again how nobody is watching on the net?
LOL, They ain't perfect, but Duck Duck Go, Qwant, MetGer are your friends. Start Page is supposed to be pretty good as well.
Browsers? Pick your poison, but FireFox, Brave, and some others block a lot of crap. I've been rather impressed with Vivaldi. It isn't quite as rigid as Brave on initial setup, but can be locked down if you choose. Locking too tight creates it's own frustrations.
Be leery of talking around your phone as well. Don't believe all the hype that some of the phone manufacturers and even carriers like to blow up your skirt. Chances are the others learned it from them.
Best Wishes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll bet that if you look hard enough on the internet you will find that Anxiety is the leading cause of hemorrhoids, scabies, rabies, and general IBS.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'll bet that if you look hard enough on the internet you will find that Anxiety is the leading cause of hemorrhoids, scabies, rabies, and general IBS.
Makes chewing gum lose it's flavor too soon as well.

Reactions: USABAKER

·
Registered
192 Posts
LOL, They ain't perfect, but Duck Duck Go, Qwant, MetGer are your friends. Start Page is supposed to be pretty good as well.
Browsers? Pick your poison, but FireFox, Brave, and some others block a lot of crap. I've been rather impressed with Vivaldi. It isn't quite as rigid as Brave on initial setup, but can be locked down if you choose. Locking too tight creates it's own frustrations.
Be leery of talking around your phone as well. Don't believe all the hype that some of the phone manufacturers and even carriers like to blow up your skirt. Chances are the others learned it from them.
Best Wishes.
You're mostly speaking greek to me.This is exactly why I dont,and will never have a smart phone.My sons friends showed me how if they talk about a subject the phones would all start sending them related messages.My wife uses some "Alexa" thing for music.Whenever I walk in the room I unplug it.I would be talking to my dogs and this spy box that seemed to be off,would start talking.:Sorry, I didnt understand Beau".I hate technology.

·
Supporting Member
5,612 Posts
You're mostly speaking greek to me.This is exactly why I dont,and will never have a smart phone.My sons friends showed me how if they talk about a subject the phones would all start sending them related messages.My wife uses some "Alexa" thing for music.Whenever I walk in the room I unplug it.I would be talking to my dogs and this spy box that seemed to be off,would start talking.:Sorry, I didnt understand Beau".I hate technology.
I have a few very good friends who never bought text/ internet devices.
Couple in particular still JUST USE THE HOME PHONE.
STOKES,
You're on this forum, so have some modern capabilities lol, in today's world it's still a choice, but try not to dig yourself to far into the hole .
Use some of the technologies as you must be already.
Grandkids and kids only smart phone nowadays.
I can understand your hard stance, lol , but you lost the technology boycott,,,it is hear to stay and keeps changing.
As soon as you feel comfortable with anew device like a smartphone, it expires and you have to get the newer version, drives me crazy, lol.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts