Handgun Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
This was a very interesting, and must say quite civilized, conversation. I've seen these go nuts before.

I think the pros and cons have been laid out, if you don't exactly know the situation to unfold you're behind the ball and must improvise as mentioned.

Of all my shotguns I don't own anything shorter than a 24" (maybe it's a 26"), but even though our house is basically an open plan in the main living area, even an 18" would be cumbersome if you leave any of the bedrooms. I almost bought an M1Super90 years ago but I couldn't come off the money for something that would basically be a play gun. I have one ready to go if needed but hopefully I never will.

One thing I realized shooting run and gun shotgun combat matches years ago is better than the sightover with a handgun, is if you learn to hipshoot you can be fast and accurate out around 10yds. You help prevent telegraphing the muzzle but you also have much better leverage on the gun to retain it. It doesn't work for me on a pistol grip well at all but it works great on a conventional stock. On a static course of fire of just mowing down steel my buddy always won with his M1Super90 (Lord those things could cycle fast), but in the run and guns I beat him quite a bit with my early Wingmaster. This thing cycles almost as smooth as an old S&W 3000 but anything close I just hipshot as I booked on by down the lane. There's also no loss of balance if you rattle a few off quick, 5 fast rounds pushes me straight up and balancing with the left foot coming up for the backstep.

AAARRGHH, can't sleep and rambled this one out there, sorry guys.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Given a choice and enough advance warning, and if the environment dictated, I'd take a long gun over a handgun any day of the week.

But, the OP asked about home protection. That's what I was working off of. If one is very experienced and well-versed in handling a long gun in tight confines, then yes, it would be more than worthy.

Just one little comment on the FBI. I know that they are the supposed measure of LE in America. To some degree, I suppose they could be. But, it's the average street cop / deputy that is out every night that makes our society as safe as it is.

When the FBI goes into action, they have advance notice and have planned for whatever they are doing. They are always in force, well-prepared, and have top-notch gear. That is to say, that they don't patrol in one man cars, don't respond to domestic calls (some of the most dangerous to cops) and make felony car stops on a moment's notice. I could go on and on, but I hope that I've made my point.

They do what they do very well, but they have all the time, man-power, and equipment in the world, to do it.
Again a most astute and worthwhile post. Spot on correct.

Like you, in answer to denner's post just above, if given the option under the right set of circumstances, I would much prefer having a long gun over a handgun as my primary goto defensive arm. A prime example of this would be a major hurricane which knows out much of a city's operations. The one that devastated Hollywood, Florida (Andrew) in 1992 comes to mind. There were roving gangs looting and pillaging and attacking citizens. Many of the citizens armed themselves against these attacks and a number of criminal looters were shot. In these cases a good rifle (I'm thinking an AR15 or an AR10) or a shotgun would be a Godsend. I would still want a good and dependable handgun on my side to backup that long gun.

Anyway, excellent points there paratrooper.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
This was a very interesting, and must say quite civilized, conversation. I've seen these go nuts before.
Yes it has been and yes, they have done just that on other websites. Don't see it as much on this site. I would suggest that this is a measure of the quality and character of most of the people on these forums.

·
Banned
494 Posts
Folks, this has been a wonderful resource, I'm putting some of the suggestions right into action at MFS, etc. But I need to go the well once more:

Which is a great shotgun for home protection?? Without paying a 1000 bucks ... and what kind of shells for same purpose? My brother says have the first one be birdshot and the next ones mean business, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks
:) To begin with I've, personally, been closely involved in the construction of two of our homes. I could (almost) say that I built them, myself; but, truth be told, I had plenty of help with systems like: plumbing, heating, and electrical. Which left me and one or two others to do the: masonry, framing, finish carpentry, sheetrock, painting, and (later on) the landscaping. Consequently, it would only be under the most dire of circumstances that I would be willing to use a shotgun inside my own home.

Sometimes I wonder, 'Why' all of these home-defense threads always focus on the weapon to be selected and used instead of, more correctly, upon the technique(s) of home protection? Anyone who anticipates the possibility of ever getting into a, 'hot' home-defense situation should have already practiced as many viable, 'what-if' scenarios as he's able to imagine throughout his home and around the home's property.

For example: Do you know the most advantageous, 'ambush points' around your own home? That would be those areas inside the home where an attacker is most vulnerable to receiving defensive fire? I'm talking about places like: hallways, doorways, stairwell landings, stairway midpoints, as well as at the very top of stairs. (The top of a stairway is one of my favorite interior ambush points because the very first thing you'll see coming at you isn't going to be the intruder's gun; instead it's going to be the top of his head!)

Personally, I have two internet gun forum pet peeves: (Well actually three, but ......) One is the pedantic and ridiculous, 'clip/magazine - magazine/clip' brouhaha; and another is about the presumed lethality of using birdshot in order to successfully defend your home without doing extensive additional damage to either the property or others.

BIRDSHOT ISN'T GOING TO WORK!

How do I know? Simple! I've already, 'been there and done that'. One of my close associates once took two rounds of birdshot at between 3 and 5 yards distance. Want to know what happened? He got hit squarely in the front right shoulder, upper chest, and lower neck with one round of #7 1/2 birdshot, and another round of #6 small game-shot. He didn't stop functioning; he continued to operate; he continued to move; and ultimately he saved his own life! The room was a mess; there was a lot of blood on the floor; there were shotgun pellet holes in the surrounding walls, and furniture; but he stayed alive, and was sitting up, talking, when the police and ambulance arrived to take him to the hospital.

Three or four operations later he made it; and, several years later, I ran into him shopping in town with his, then, new bride. I knew him, on and off, for about another ten years; and to the best of my knowledge he was never too bothered by the numerous pellets the doctors decided to leave in his body. I will add, however, that the scarring on his shoulder didn't look all that bad - Certainly not like right after this event happened. So, what is the moral of this gruesome tale? Don't attempt to use birdshot in order to defend your home! All you'll, probably, do is make someone very very mad at you!

One of the first rules of successful home-defense is NOT TO MOVE. I've had a little experience with this. (Well, actually, I've had a lot!) You're always better off if you force the other guy to come at you. I can't count the times I've read one of these threads about someone, 'sweeping' their home - flashing a tac light on and off, and here and there - looking for the source of the disturbance. Do whatever you want; but all I can tell you is, 'You're playing with your life!' Among the people I used to play these games with we had an unequivocal saying, 'He who moves first, ...... loses!'

What's really important?

(1) You will need to have a firearm immediately at hand. If it's not a revolver then I strongly suggest that YOU GIVE YOURSELF TIME TO WAKE UP AND GET ORIENTATED by keeping your weapon in C-3.

(2) You need to keep BOTH a cell phone, and a tactical flashlight with your home-defense gun. (Other sources will add even more items to this list; but, these are the essential, 'must haves'.)

(3) You've got to have a well thought-out home-defense plan - A plan that considers any and all means of escape that might be available to you. (In spite of any, 'stand your ground' or, 'your home is your castle' sort of rationale, it needs to be appreciated that the sooner you get your vulnerable butt out of danger, then, the better it's going to be for you!) There are plenty of good (and necessary-to-read) home and self-defense books that you can get on this subject. Start with the NRA Store Library.

Trust me on this: Barring civil riot and a complete breakdown in law and order your are NOT going to be trading a lot of shots. Home break-ins begin fast, and usually end in exactly the same way. I know of only two exceptions to this general rule; and, strictly speaking, neither involved a sudden home invasion.

One involved the murderous escapades of Dennis Rader, Wichita's infamous, 'BTK' killer. Rader liked to gain surreptitious entry to a momentarily unoccupied home and, then, hide in a bedroom closet for hours, waiting and watching, until his chosen victim was about to get into bed. (Argh!)

The other exception is Angel Maturino Reséndiz, 'The Railroad Killer'. A name given to Reséndiz because railroads were his preferred method of travel from town to town, and many of his murders occurred at properties within eyesight of a rail line. Reséndiz was an impulsive and indiscriminate killer. One of the methods he used was to quietly enter a home - often, but not always, late at night - locate an expedient weapon, (just about anything heavy or sharp that he found in the home) and almost immediately begin raping and killing.

Both of these homicidal maniacs were, 'the home invaders from Hell'; and, even if you sleep with a pistol underneath your pillow in the same way that I do - without a dog - you might still have very little warning and remain entirely vulnerable to an in-home attack! Consequently I'm a big fan of things like: driveway, window, and door alarms. (Some of these devices can be adapted for use in interior locations like hallways, too!)

My first choice for defending the family and warding off a home invasion would definitely be a pistol; but, if a shotgun were to be chosen, then, I'd select one of those shotguns already suggested by GCBHM. However - unless my arthritis gets a whole lot worse than it is right now - I, personally, wouldn't be quick to grab a 5.56mm tactical carbine out of the safe in order to confront a typical home-defense problem. (By the way, what's the, 'BHM' part of GCBHM stand for? Backwoods Home Magazine!)

Remember, it's unlikely that you're going to be trading a lot of shots back and forth. Most likely an event like this will begin and end very quickly. It will, also, tend to occur at and inside 7 1/2 to 10 yards. Hand grenades, a tac carbine with a 30 round clip, or a riot shotgun really aren't going to be needed; and, especially not, if a homeowner knows what he's doing with a gun in his hands. ('Knowing what you're doing', and being possessed of seasoned, well developed instincts is a big part of successful home-defense! Why? Because once it starts you're going to be operating on: pure instinct, proprioceptive reflex, and adrenaline.)

Use a, 'safe room'. Stay put for as long as the room remains secure, and don't go out looking for the threat! Let the intruder confront you rather than you attempting to confront the threat. Get on your cell phone (not your landline); and - ONE TIME ONLY - shout out your intention to defend yourself with deadly force if needs be. If, 'push comes to shove' you'll need to clearly mark your target with a tac light before you make that final decision to open fire.

In a situation like this I would strongly prefer not to mark my own target(s). My wife will do it for me! (Please don't think that I'm endangering my wife by using her as a decoy. I assure you that no alien object she lights up is going to, 'remain flexible' for long enough to do her any harm.)

Personally I'm NOT a big believer in, 'blabber-mouthing' as a lethal threat closes in on you. Be aware that the bad guy might, also, have a gun; and the more you talk the easier it's going to be for him to locate you and accurately direct his fire. The often recommended self-defense monologue of, 'Stop!' 'Stop!' 'I have a gun; and I'm ready to use it!' 'Go away!' 'Go away, now!' is much too verbose, and can (Ready?) EASILY GET YOU EXPEDITIOUSLY MURDERED!

(Think of it as SEAL Team Six spread out around your living room in the dark. Are you going to attempt to reason with these fellows? Noooo, ...... you are not! They, however, for their part will, most assuredly, attempt to open a dialogue with you! Do you Understand!)

Yes, I've been trained and am expected to teach others like this; but, quite frankly, this sort of naïve home-defense behavior, 'sticks in my craw'. Twice in my long life I've had to experience and endure a sudden home invasion. On neither occasion would any such language have made the situation more survivable for either me or my family. What worked the first time was two superlatively well-trained (guardian) Pit Bulldogs. What worked the second time was a G-21 in my pocket, along with a complete willingness on my part to die fighting, right then and there. (No internet B.S. What I've just told you is the absolute unvarnished truth!)

No shotgun, no tac carbine, or, 'high capacity' semiautomatic pistol - in and of itself - is going to be enough to see you safely through. You've got to plan for the event; you've got to be ready, and have a firearm at-the-ready. Having a gun is certainly necessary; but even more important is, (How shall I say this?) 'Walking with God'.

I honestly believe that everyone has a, 'small still voice' living inside his head. The trick is to learn how to encourage that, 'small still voice' to speak to you, as well as to be entirely willing to listen when it does. In my own life experience it's this ability that has proven to be far more important than whatever gun I had in hand; or, for that matter, whether or not I even had a gun in hand to begin with. (Psalms 23:4, Proverbs 21:31, and Jeremiah 10:23)

What am I using right now, today, to defend myself at home? A 357 Magnum, 3 inch barreled, Ruger SP-101 which I keep under my pillow at night with an extra 6 rounds kept in a Bianchi Speed Strip.* Is it enough gun? Is this enough ammo? As I said, barring civil strife, I already know that it is.

Answer this question: 'What is even more important than the gun you decide to defend yourself and your home with?' Well, whatever firearm you use, you need to be thoroughly practiced with, and (almost instinctively) know how to use it well.

By the way: When it comes to racking a shotgun slide in order to frighten someone off? DO NOT DO IT! Try that with someone who's armed AND knows what he's doing with a gun in his hands; and, ...... he'll, more than likely, promptly shoot you dead!

* As might be expected the muzzle is always pointed in a safe direction.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
wow, that was a slew of great answers mixed in with what I imagine are old internecine squabbles, but now that I've decided on an 18.5 inch barrel Mossberg 500 with pistol grip, what is really confusing is WHERE to find a good price online. I google it and these places pop up, like Dicks Sporting, etc. but they never give specifics. Any suggestions on WHERE to go to buy one of these; REMEMBER: Talkin MASSACHUSETTS here (I know, I' know, I'm finding out what a drag it is here for gun owners). Thanks for any advice on the where to get a good deal question..

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Paratrooper, Southern Boy and Glock Doctor (I'm sure I'm not including everyone) have excellent posts on this subject.

In my sleep deprived rambling earlier I meant to mention the birdshot deal but that's been covered. The only way I see that working is if you shove the muzzle in his mouth and blast his palate into his head or you happen to pop both his eyeballs so he can't see you and the pain and shock stop him. The first one is called assassination unless there are serious extenuating circumstances that I don't see, and the latter is pure dumb luck and you won't die no matter what because your guardian angle is the best around. Birdshot may be effective on a wannabe punk but on a real dirtbag you're just going to piss him off. Double ought, maybe #4 and a slug are all I'll be loaded with. Damn I wish I bought a Benelli, I'm getting older and just can't work that pump like I used to.

I hope this continues, and it has a lot of great info like the run and gun post in the Sig forum recently that is right up the tactical forum's alley. Hopefully NewB's searching around run into this info.

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Well said paratrooper. In times past I have received some fine firearms training from FBI instructors. However, it did not fully cover the needs of a one man patrol unit.

Any and all training that a person receives needs to be "adjusted" to the particular situation at hand. Repelling boarders is not the same as hunting bad guys outside of your dwelling. A person needs to get as much information as possible, and then pick that which most applies to his/her needs.

As always, just my 2 bits worth:mrgreen:
The most recent FBI training I received was back in 2005. It was a three-day course in officer survival. It consisted of one full day on the shooting range and two days of mock-up building encounters, to incl. vehicle stops and approaches.

It was good training, but a bit too basic. I (we) were expecting something much more advanced and technical. Several times, we brought up issues that could improve on what we were doing at the time, and the instructors agreed.

Anyways, like the ole saying........any training is good training, be it remedial or not. We did have several good BS sessions, trading stories and such.

Several years ago, I attended a "Police Officer Street Survival Course" in Las Vegas. It was a three-day course put on by Caliber Press. It drew LE from all over the US. It was a restricted seminar, and put out some very good information. The media wasn't even allowed to attend. I met some really good people and am still friends with many today.

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
wow, that was a slew of great answers mixed in with what I imagine are old internecine squabbles, but now that I've decided on an 18.5 inch barrel Mossberg 500 with pistol grip, what is really confusing is WHERE to find a good price online. I google it and these places pop up, like Dicks Sporting, etc. but they never give specifics. Any suggestions on WHERE to go to buy one of these; REMEMBER: Talkin MASSACHUSETTS here (I know, I' know, I'm finding out what a drag it is here for gun owners). Thanks for any advice on the where to get a good deal question..
Excellent, excellent choice!!! There are a number of good on-line places to buy. Just google and look for the best price. There are places that will run specials, etc., so that is my recommendation. There are some good places here in Birmingham, AL, like Birmingham Pistol Wholesale (I know this guy personally), Marks Outdoors, Hoover Tactical. There is also places like Cabela's, BassPro, etc., but they are commercial dealers.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
:) To begin with I've, personally, been closely involved in the construction of two of our homes. I could (almost) say that I built them, myself; but, truth be told, I had plenty of help with systems like: plumbing, heating, and electrical. Which left me and one or two others to do the: masonry, framing, finish carpentry, sheetrock, painting, and (later on) the landscaping. Consequently, it would only be under the most dire of circumstances that I would be willing to use a shotgun inside my own home.

Sometimes I wonder, 'Why' all of these home-defense threads always focus on the weapon to be selected and used instead of, more correctly, upon the technique(s) of home protection? Anyone who anticipates the possibility of ever getting into a, 'hot' home-defense situation should have already practiced as many viable, 'what-if' scenarios as he's able to imagine throughout his home and around the home's property.

For example: Do you know the most advantageous, 'ambush points' around your own home? That would be those areas inside the home where an attacker is most vulnerable to receiving defensive fire? I'm talking about places like: hallways, doorways, stairwell landings, stairway midpoints, as well as at the very top of stairs. (The top of a stairway is one of my favorite interior ambush points because the very first thing you'll see coming at you isn't going to be the intruder's gun; instead it's going to be the top of his head!)

Personally, I have two internet gun forum pet peeves: (Well actually three, but ......) One is the pedantic and ridiculous, 'clip/magazine - magazine/clip' brouhaha; and another is about the presumed lethality of using birdshot in order to successfully defend your home without doing extensive additional damage to either the property or others.

BIRDSHOT ISN'T GOING TO WORK!

How do I know? Simple! I've already, 'been there and done that'. One of my close associates once took two rounds of birdshot at between 3 and 5 yards distance. Want to know what happened? He got hit squarely in the front right shoulder, upper chest, and lower neck with one round of #7 1/2 birdshot, and another round of #6 small game-shot. He didn't stop functioning; he continued to operate; he continued to move; and ultimately he saved his own life! The room was a mess; there was a lot of blood on the floor; there were shotgun pellet holes in the surrounding walls, and furniture; but he stayed alive, and was sitting up, talking, when the police and ambulance arrived to take him to the hospital.

Three or four operations later he made it; and, several years later, I ran into him shopping in town with his, then, new bride. I knew him, on and off, for about another ten years; and to the best of my knowledge he was never too bothered by the numerous pellets the doctors decided to leave in his body. I will add, however, that the scarring on his shoulder didn't look all that bad - Certainly not like right after this event happened. So, what is the moral of this gruesome tale? Don't attempt to use birdshot in order to defend your home! All you'll, probably, do is make someone very very mad at you!

One of the first rules of successful home-defense is NOT TO MOVE. I've had a little experience with this. (Well, actually, I've had a lot!) You're always better off if you force the other guy to come at you. I can't count the times I've read one of these threads about someone, 'sweeping' their home - flashing a tac light on and off, and here and there - looking for the source of the disturbance. Do whatever you want; but all I can tell you is, 'You're playing with your life!' Among the people I used to play these games with we had an unequivocal saying, 'He who moves first, ...... loses!'

What's really important?

(1) You will need to have a firearm immediately at hand. If it's not a revolver then I strongly suggest that YOU GIVE YOURSELF TIME TO WAKE UP AND GET ORIENTATED by keeping your weapon in C-3.

(2) You need to keep BOTH a cell phone, and a tactical flashlight with your home-defense gun. (Other sources will add even more items to this list; but, these are the essential, 'must haves'.)

(3) You've got to have a well thought-out home-defense plan - A plan that considers any and all means of escape that might be available to you. (In spite of any, 'stand your ground' or, 'your home is your castle' sort of rationale, it needs to be appreciated that the sooner you get your vulnerable butt out of danger, then, the better it's going to be for you!) There are plenty of good (and necessary-to-read) home and self-defense books that you can get on this subject. Start with the NRA Store Library.

Trust me on this: Barring civil riot and a complete breakdown in law and order your are NOT going to be trading a lot of shots. Home break-ins begin fast, and usually end in exactly the same way. I know of only two exceptions to this general rule; and, strictly speaking, neither involved a sudden home invasion.

One involved the murderous escapades of Dennis Rader, Wichita's infamous, 'BTK' killer. Rader liked to gain surreptitious entry to a momentarily unoccupied home and, then, hide in a bedroom closet for hours, waiting and watching, until his chosen victim was about to get into bed. (Argh!)

The other exception is Angel Maturino Reséndiz, 'The Railroad Killer'. A name given to Reséndiz because railroads were his preferred method of travel from town to town, and many of his murders occurred at properties within eyesight of a rail line. Reséndiz was an impulsive and indiscriminate killer. One of the methods he used was to quietly enter a home - often, but not always, late at night - locate an expedient weapon, (just about anything heavy or sharp that he found in the home) and almost immediately begin raping and killing.

Both of these homicidal maniacs were, 'the home invaders from Hell'; and, even if you sleep with a pistol underneath your pillow in the same way that I do - without a dog - you might still have very little warning and remain entirely vulnerable to an in-home attack! Consequently I'm a big fan of things like: driveway, window, and door alarms. (Some of these devices can be adapted for use in interior locations like hallways, too!)

My first choice for defending the family and warding off a home invasion would definitely be a pistol; but, if a shotgun were to be chosen, then, I'd select one of those shotguns already suggested by GCBHM. However - unless my arthritis gets a whole lot worse than it is right now - I, personally, wouldn't be quick to grab a 5.56mm tactical carbine out of the safe in order to confront a typical home-defense problem. (By the way, what's the, 'BHM' part of GCBHM stand for? Backwoods Home Magazine!)

Remember, it's unlikely that you're going to be trading a lot of shots back and forth. Most likely an event like this will begin and end very quickly. It will, also, tend to occur at and inside 7 1/2 to 10 yards. Hand grenades, a tac carbine with a 30 round clip, or a riot shotgun really aren't going to be needed; and, especially not, if a homeowner knows what he's doing with a gun in his hands. ('Knowing what you're doing', and being possessed of seasoned, well developed instincts is a big part of successful home-defense! Why? Because once it starts you're going to be operating on: pure instinct, proprioceptive reflex, and adrenaline.)

Use a, 'safe room'. Stay put for as long as the room remains secure, and don't go out looking for the threat! Let the intruder confront you rather than you attempting to confront the threat. Get on your cell phone (not your landline); and - ONE TIME ONLY - shout out your intention to defend yourself with deadly force if needs be. If, 'push comes to shove' you'll need to clearly mark your target with a tac light before you make that final decision to open fire.

In a situation like this I would strongly prefer not to mark my own target(s). My wife will do it for me! (Please don't think that I'm endangering my wife by using her as a decoy. I assure you that no alien object she lights up is going to, 'remain flexible' for long enough to do her any harm.)

Personally I'm NOT a big believer in, 'blabber-mouthing' as a lethal threat closes in on you. Be aware that the bad guy might, also, have a gun; and the more you talk the easier it's going to be for him to locate you and accurately direct his fire. The often recommended self-defense monologue of, 'Stop!' 'Stop!' 'I have a gun; and I'm ready to use it!' 'Go away!' 'Go away, now!' is much too verbose, and can (Ready?) EASILY GET YOU EXPEDITIOUSLY MURDERED!

(Think of it as SEAL Team Six spread out around your living room in the dark. Are you going to attempt to reason with these fellows? Noooo, ...... you are not! They, however, for their part will, most assuredly, attempt to open a dialogue with you! Do you Understand!)

Yes, I've been trained and am expected to teach others like this; but, quite frankly, this sort of naïve home-defense behavior, 'sticks in my craw'. Twice in my long life I've had to experience and endure a sudden home invasion. On neither occasion would any such language have made the situation more survivable for either me or my family. What worked the first time was two superlatively well-trained (guardian) Pit Bulldogs. What worked the second time was a G-21 in my pocket, along with a complete willingness on my part to die fighting, right then and there. (No internet B.S. What I've just told you is the absolute unvarnished truth!)

No shotgun, no tac carbine, or, 'high capacity' semiautomatic pistol - in and of itself - is going to be enough to see you safely through. You've got to plan for the event; you've got to be ready, and have a firearm at-the-ready. Having a gun is certainly necessary; but even more important is, (How shall I say this?) 'Walking with God'.

I honestly believe that everyone has a, 'small still voice' living inside his head. The trick is to learn how to encourage that, 'small still voice' to speak to you, as well as to be entirely willing to listen when it does. In my own life experience it's this ability that has proven to be far more important than whatever gun I had in hand; or, for that matter, whether or not I even had a gun in hand to begin with. (Psalms 23:4, Proverbs 21:31, and Jeremiah 10:23)

What am I using right now, today, to defend myself at home? A 357 Magnum, 3 inch barreled, Ruger SP-101 which I keep under my pillow at night with an extra 6 rounds kept in a Bianchi Speed Strip.* Is it enough gun? Is this enough ammo? As I said, barring civil strife, I already know that it is.

Answer this question: 'What is even more important than the gun you decide to defend yourself and your home with?' Well, whatever firearm you use, you need to be thoroughly practiced with, and (almost instinctively) know how to use it well.

By the way: When it comes to racking a shotgun slide in order to frighten someone off? DO NOT DO IT! Try that with someone who's armed AND knows what he's doing with a gun in his hands; and, ...... he'll, more than likely, promptly shoot you dead!

* As might be expected the muzzle is always pointed in a safe direction.
I find agreement in just about everything you've written here. Well done. Having a plan that has some flexibility, a firearm with which you are well trained an familiar, and a spot selected where you can command the situation as best as you can lays the ground work for a good home defense program. You mentioned the top of the stairs. The shape of my foyer and the stairs to the second floor is such that a perp will climb the second set of stairs from the landing (landing forces a 90 degree left turn) to put his back to my position.

Rather than stand up at the corner of my bedroom door, I lay down on the floor and look out into the upper hallway and the stairway. If someone rushes up those stairs and fires a gun, he is most likely to fire at an area between waist high and upper chest. With me on the floor, I shoot up at him. But again, there is always a measure of flexibility in all of this to account for varying situations.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Go to Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop. The Mossberg 500 runs in the higher $300 range.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Just one little comment on the FBI. I know that they are the supposed measure of LE in America. To some degree, I suppose they could be. But, it's the average street cop / deputy that is out every night that makes our society as safe as it is.

When the FBI goes into action, they have advance notice and have planned for whatever they are doing. They are always in force, well-prepared, and have top-notch gear. That is to say, that they don't patrol in one man cars, don't respond to domestic calls (some of the most dangerous to cops) and make felony car stops on a moment's notice. I could go on and on, but I hope that I've made my point.

They do what they do very well, but they have all the time, man-power, and equipment in the world, to do it.
To be a little more clear, I was not referring to the FBI's sole personnel, tactics, equipment, role of duty and training. I was referring to a report done by the FBI concerning all law enforcement in the U.S., mainly; "Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness"

FBI Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness - FirearmsTactical.com

Reported in 1989, but very relevant then as today. Likewise, what we have today is the FBI's protocol, "Holy Grail" for ballistic testing, in which I believe all if not most law enforcement agencies and civilians take notice across the board. I agree, the FBI has limitless resources and one of those areas is studying the effectiveness of handguns in Leo shootings across the U.S. and the data. Page 2 and 3 are most relevant on our point of topic and where I find my resource. Btw, I suppose the FBI has changed tactic, but some of what you're saying didn't apply in Miami in 1986. Perhaps the greatest lesson learned in that tragic event was: " You Don't Solely Take A Handgun Into A Shouldered Weapon Fight".

·
Registered
144 Posts
The FBI shoot out in Miami is one of several "incidents" that caused some serious changes in Law Enforcement "thinking and training". The good old days were suddenly gone! I left Law Enforcement about 1987-88, (health issues) and patrol as well as training procedures were changing fast.

Heck! small departments here in Oregon had old surplus rifles (M1 carbines, maybe a Tommy gun, 30-30 lever guns, ect.). Here we were just stating to change over to autoloading pistols.

Point is there is much more, much better information, training, and gear to be had now. The world is more dangerous now, but we have much better resources to help protect our selves.

Be informed, get training, stay safe.

·
Banned
494 Posts
...... Rather than stand up at the corner of my bedroom door, I lay down on the floor and look out into the upper hallway and the stairway. If someone rushes up those stairs and fires a gun, he is most likely to fire at an area between waist high and upper chest. With me on the floor, I shoot up at him. But again, there is always a measure of flexibility in all of this to account for varying situations.
PRICELESS! :mrgreen:

My favorite hiding places are (1) lying down on the floor in the vicinity of the top of the stairs, or (2) at the end of a hallway. If you're able to get most of your body into a room, and out of the line-of-fire, so much the better.

Inside, say, a bedroom I prefer to locate myself directly opposite the doorway. I may, or may not stand up. The person with the light (my wife) remains at a 90 degree angle to the door. (So that an intruder would have to pivot in order to aim at her.)

Admittedly these are risky procedures. As Jerry Usher once said, 'In a gunfight most bullets tend to fly low.' So, your very first shots are going to have to count.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
PRICELESS! :mrgreen:

My favorite hiding places are (1) lying down on the floor in the vicinity of the top of the stairs, or (2) at the end of a hallway. If you're able to get most of your body into a room, and out of the line-of-fire, so much the better.

Inside, say, a bedroom I prefer to locate myself directly opposite the doorway. I may, or may not stand up. The person with the light (my wife) remains at a 90 degree angle to the door. (So that an intruder would have to pivot in order to aim at her.)

Admittedly these are risky procedures. As Jerry Usher once said, 'In a gunfight most bullets tend to fly low.' So, your very first shots are going to have to count.
This is exactly the position I take. Most of my body remains spayed in the master bedroom and only a small part is in the doorway. The layout of the stairs and upper hallway is such that I would be hard to see in that position by someone coming up the stairs.

Also you had mentioned to shout at the intruder just once because continuing to do this will aid in giving your position away. This is also what I do. Had an opportunity to exercise our plan in August 2009. We did as we had expected and fortunately, all came out well (alarm went off due to a very close lightning strike). I'm of the mind that the only time you may entertain going after a perp is if a family member is in dire danger. Since there is only my wife and I in the home, that is not a consideration so we stay put and let the perp either exit the premises or come to us.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just came accross a Mossberg 535 @ Walmart with 28" for . . . . . $139 Was looking for a 500 so I could put an 18" barrel on it and use it for HD with 00 in it.

Now the question is can I attach a Mossberg 500 18 incher to the 535? Cabellas doesnt list anything for the 535 less than 22 inches and that it @ $235 each, $100 more than the gun. Sportsmans warehouse has a 500 barrel on the rack for $99 but will it fit? Anybody have experience with this? Alternate question is the legality of sawing off a barrel myself, if I found a used one for the 535?

Or should I just keep it for shooting Clays at the range and follow through on my original search for the short 500 for HD.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here's mine, a Winchester 1300 that I "made over". If you do this, do yourself a favor and buy the tool for the mag nut.

I Put a magazine extension on it that gives an 8 round capacity and then the light and the stock set, with the shell holder attached to the stock. It reduced the length of pull to make it a more easily point-able. To me anyway....

Loaded with various buckshot

·
Registered
38 Posts
H&R 870 clone with maybe $300 into it.

Traded that one off for a .40 pistol. Then i picked up an A5 as i wanted an auto loader but i just
couldn't cut it up so i traded it for a Ruger P95.

One note the $200 econo shotguns are hit and miss on reliability if you read up on them there
are some feeding issues. The H&R above had alot of grease in the tube that needed to be cleaned out.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Just came accross a Mossberg 535 @ Walmart with 28" for . . . . . $139 Was looking for a 500 so I could put an 18" barrel on it and use it for HD with 00 in it.

Now the question is can I attach a Mossberg 500 18 incher to the 535? Cabellas doesnt list anything for the 535 less than 22 inches and that it @ $235 each, $100 more than the gun. Sportsmans warehouse has a 500 barrel on the rack for $99 but will it fit? Anybody have experience with this? Alternate question is the legality of sawing off a barrel myself, if I found a used one for the 535?

Or should I just keep it for shooting Clays at the range and follow through on my original search for the short 500 for HD.
If you're not sure I'd give Mossberg a ring. I was in the same dilemma about my SXP, called Winchester/Browning and got the answer and barrel I was looking for.

Perhaps this may be your ticket if not discontinued:The Mossberg part number for the 18.5" 835 barrel is #90823. However, Mossberg is the one to call. I do believe the 500 barrel will fit on the 835, however, only chambered in 3 inch.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you're not sure I'd give Mossberg a ring. I was in the same dilemma about my SXP, called Winchester/Browning and got the answer and barrel I was looking for.

Perhaps this may be your ticket if not discontinued:The Mossberg part number for the 18.5" 835 barrel is #90823. However, Mossberg is the one to call. I do believe the 500 barrel will fit on the 835, however, only chambered in 3 inch.
Thanks for the responses. I did call Mossberg and they said no barrel will fit on a 535 except a 535 barrel. Not sure if thats because of the 3.5 inch chamber on 535 and the 3 inch on the 500. That 835 part number might not fit either, according to them, though it sounds like it has the same chamber size. Found a 535 used on Ebay, 22 inch rifled slug barrel which goes back to my question about sawing it off myself. I have a hack saw but knowing me I would want it to look good, polished, blued and factory new. Would doing it myself be legal, illegal or just frowned upon. This would then have no front site, but my hallway is pretty short and I wont really be looking at the BG in my flashlight beam saying "Pull" now will I? :smt1099

41 - 60 of 83 Posts