Handgun Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
A 12 ga shotgun loaded with 3" #4 Buckshot will send 42 .243 projectiles each time you pull the trigger. With 5 rounds, that is 210 projectiles!

An AR15 will send ONE .223 round each time you pull the trigger. With a 30 round mag., that is 30 projectiles.
That sounds good, but uh....

To each his own. If you want a shotgun with five rounds of buckshot, go for it. I tend to believe more rounds keeps me in the fight longer. So have at it with your five shots. Chances are that may be all you need. I'll take my chances with four 30 round mags of .223 and 51 rounds of 9MM.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
desertman;

We don't have a Castle Law in Virginia but what we have is at least as good in several ways. I expect we'll get a Castle Law sometime down the road. I only hope it doesn't water down what we already have here. And Virginia is not a "duty to retreat" state.

As for civil suits, as I mentioned they are rare here. Not saying they can't or haven't happened. They're just not at all common. But I certainly would not want to be dragged through the courts with a civil suit chasing me down. That's why I purchased an insurance policy to cover just such incidents. The Zimmerman case convinced me that what currently sits in the white house and what runs the DOJ is not friendly to folks like me. In a word, they are racist as hell. So some extra protection was the answer for me.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Best to have a solid place from which you can command a level of security and deliver fire if needed/possible.
If this is the case nothing beats a defensive 12 gauge shotgun, especially over; 9, .40 or .45, if you know how to use it. Of course some posters are seemingly thinking about taking on a battery of Taliban in a prolonged firefight or are a very sorry shot. A shotgun properly loaded trumps a pistol 10 fold in the energy department. A shotgun properly loaded is true "knock down power" at close range and is somewhat less picky in the accuracy department depending.

The major advantage a shot gun has is not only it's energy, but the fact it creates multiple trauma to the target w/ one shot, using 4 or 6 shot and or buckshot. Lastly a slug or sabot, albeit not multiple, but very, very, devastating none the less.

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
If this is the case nothing beats a defensive 12 gauge shotgun, especially over; 9, .40 or .45, if you know how to use it. Of course some posters are seemingly thinking about taking on a battery of Taliban in a prolonged firefight or are a very sorry shot. A shotgun properly loaded trumps a pistol 10 fold in the energy department. A shotgun properly loaded is true "knock down power" at close range and is somewhat less picky in the accuracy department depending.

The major advantage a shot gun has is not only it's energy, but the fact it creates multiple trauma to the target w/ one shot, using 4 or 6 shot and or buckshot. Lastly a slug or sabot, albeit not multiple, but very, very, devastating none the less.
An interesting point of view indeed. Not one I disagree with entirely; however, which will be more manageable. A shotgun or a pistol? As to the silliness of expecting an assault from the Taliban...never mind. There are a lot of "experts" who really have nothing but their opinions to stand on. This one is no different.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am just an internet commando. But...

I think it's pretty simple. If you have to move in your house, to get to a child in another bed rooms for example, a pistol is better because it's harder to lose control of it. In a barricade situation, a shotgun with a double stack pistol as back up when it's dry, is best.

The AR is in there someplace. I believe I've read studies that it doesn't penetrate walls very well so it's a viable home defense weapon. I believe SWAT type folks used to use 9mm stuff like MP5s because they were worried about over penetration. But more recent studies show a 5.56 with 55gn bullet is no more dangerous on a miss and lot more dangerous, to the perp, on a hit.

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
I am just an internet commando. But...

I think it's pretty simple. If you have to move in your house, to get to a child in another bed rooms for example, a pistol is better because it's harder to lose control of it. In a barricade situation, a shotgun with a double stack pistol as back up when it's dry, is best.

The AR is in there someplace. I believe I've read studies that it doesn't penetrate walls very well so it's a viable home defense weapon. I believe SWAT type folks used to use 9mm stuff like MP5s because they were worried about over penetration. But more recent studies show a 5.56 with 55gn bullet is no more dangerous on a miss and lot more dangerous, to the perp, on a hit.
Good points! I would not back away from using a shotgun, but I have the AR backed by my 17.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Well, here is mine:

It is an H&R 1871 (an 870 clone). I paid 200 dollars for it, and it functions great. It does kick like a mule though. It takes Remington 870 after-market parts, except for the barrel. I have ran about 100 rounds through it so far, from birdshot to buckshot, without a hitch. I usually keep it ready with 00 buck.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts

Winchester SXP Defender, mix of Fiocchi low recoil slugs and 00 Buck. Kick is very manageable and a very quick cycler as well.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I am getting inspired to turn my 30 year old Mossberg country squire into a home defense shot gun. I don't seem to use it for hunting anymore. I even have the 24" slug barrel for it. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I seems like this kind of question always turns to disagreement and even name calling.

To answer the OP's question;
Based on my experience and training, for Home Defense, I use a 9mm or .40cal. pistol and 12ga. pump shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot.

As always, get as much as you can of the best training you can find. Then make your decisions on how to protect your home and family.

Just my 2 bits worth:mrgreen:

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
I guess if I lived in a very large house with big, wide hallways, big rooms, and lots of open spaces, I might consider a shotgun.

But, that's not my case. Rooms tend to be small, hallways narrow, and not nearly enough open spaces. Come to think of it, I should go buy a bigger house. :watching:

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I guess if I lived in a very large house with big, wide hallways, big rooms, and lots of open spaces, I might consider a shotgun.

But, that's not my case. Rooms tend to be small, hallways narrow, and not nearly enough open spaces. Come to think of it, I should go buy a bigger house. :watching:
Best to have a solid place from which you can command a level of security and deliver fire if needed/possible.
Yes, I agree, wielding a long gun in confined spaces throughout a small house is not optimal, but in the scenario described above an 18" barreled HD shotgun is an excellent option, if you can shoot one. In other words, I myself would not feel at a disadvantage in the scenario described above with a HD shotgun. Like anything else, there are advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Yes, I agree, wielding a long gun in confined spaces throughout a small house is not optimal, but in the scenario described above an 18" barreled HD shotgun is an excellent option, if you can shoot one.
Maybe it's just me, but I always like to have my left hand free and available at a moment's notice. I've found that it can come in pretty handy at times. :smt002

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I always like to have my left hand free and available at a moment's notice. I've found that it can come in pretty handy at times. :smt002
Paratropper, yes, that may be an advantage over a shouldered weapon. You being retired law enforcement(thank you for your service by the way), let me pose this one question? If you knew or anticipated, (anticipated being the main word), that you were about to face an imminently dangerous situation, would you prepare to confront that situation armed w/ a handgun or a shoulder fired weapon, regardless if you had that one hand free or not? The FBI, the holy grail of law enforcement strongly subscribes to the latter.:smt083

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Paratropper, yes, that may be an advantage over a shouldered weapon. You being retired law enforcement(thank you for your service by the way), let me pose this one question? If you knew or anticipated, (anticipated being the main word), that you were about to face an imminently dangerous situation, would you prepare to confront that situation armed w/ a handgun or a shoulder fired weapon, regardless if you had that one hand free or not? The FBI, the holy grail of law enforcement strongly subscribes to the latter.:smt083
Given a choice and enough advance warning, and if the environment dictated, I'd take a long gun over a handgun any day of the week.

But, the OP asked about home protection. That's what I was working off of. If one is very experienced and well-versed in handling a long gun in tight confines, then yes, it would be more than worthy.

Just one little comment on the FBI. I know that they are the supposed measure of LE in America. To some degree, I suppose they could be. But, it's the average street cop / deputy that is out every night that makes our society as safe as it is.

When the FBI goes into action, they have advance notice and have planned for whatever they are doing. They are always in force, well-prepared, and have top-notch gear. That is to say, that they don't patrol in one man cars, don't respond to domestic calls (some of the most dangerous to cops) and make felony car stops on a moment's notice. I could go on and on, but I hope that I've made my point.

They do what they do very well, but they have all the time, man-power, and equipment in the world, to do it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Given a choice and enough advance warning, and if the environment dictated, I'd take a long gun over a handgun any day of the week.

But, the OP asked about home protection. That's what I was working off of. If one is very experienced and well-versed in handling a long gun in tight confines, then yes, it would be more than worthy.

Just one little comment on the FBI. I know that they are the supposed measure of LE in America. To some degree, I suppose they could be. But, it's the average street cop / deputy that is out every night that makes our society as safe as it is.

When the FBI goes into action, they have advance notice and have planned for whatever they are doing. They are always in force, well-prepared, and have top-notch gear. That is to say, that they don't patrol in one man cars, don't respond to domestic calls (some of the most dangerous to cops) and make felony car stops on a moment's notice. I could go on and on, but I hope that I've made my point.

They do what they do very well, but they have all the time, man-power, and equipment in the world, to do it.
Well said paratrooper. In times past I have received some fine firearms training from FBI instructors. However, it did not fully cover the needs of a one man patrol unit.

Any and all training that a person receives needs to be "adjusted" to the particular situation at hand. Repelling boarders is not the same as hunting bad guys outside of your dwelling. A person needs to get as much information as possible, and then pick that which most applies to his/her needs.

As always, just my 2 bits worth:mrgreen:

21 - 40 of 83 Posts