Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, this has been a wonderful resource, I'm putting some of the suggestions right into action at MFS, etc.
But I need to go the well once more:
Which is a great shotgun for home protection?? Without paying a 1000 bucks.. and what kind of shells for same purpose? My brother says have the first one be birdshot and the next ones mean business, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
First, I recommend an AR15 for home protection; however, my second recommendation is a good 12 gauge shotgun. I recommend the following in no particular order, tactical or riot gun model of course:

Remington 870
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1300

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I would say buck shot would be your best choice. I don't agree with using bird shot first you may only get one shot. If the situation is serious enough that you are going to pull the trigger you better make it count. "don't point a gun at anything you don't want to shoot and don't shoot anything you don't want to KILL". I never really agreed with using an AR-15 because of what could happen if you miss these powerful rifle cartridges can travel a long way.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I have a Winchester 1300 Defender with the dayglow front sight and kevlar stock. For defensive work, I have police 00 Buck loads but prefer #4 Buck. In the home if I was of a mind to employee that shotgun, I would prefer a lighter load. The close quarters of a home are not going to put you at any real distance so a lighter load is still going to be pretty devastating.

However, I much prefer a handgun over a long gun for in home use for a number of reasons.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
SouthernBoy:
"However, I much prefer a handgun over a long gun for in home use for a number of reasons."
Absolutely! Long guns can be unwieldy and more easily wrestled out of your hand, particularly if taken by surprise by an intruder. A centerfire rifle, is definitely not recommended for home defense the risk to innocent bystanders is far too great.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Simple solution:
Double stack hand gun for when you need close quarters work.
18.5 in barrel pump shotgun with mag extension to give 6 rounds in tube. May want to go to 7. Lots of good guns out there. Standard is Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.
AR-15 with 14.5 in barrel with pinned flash hider to satisfy the feds.

In a purely defensive situation, use the hand gun to get to the long guns and "hunker" down and wait for the police. If I have to move to help other family members in the house, I will us my Glock.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
SouthernBoy:

Absolutely! Long guns can be unwieldy and more easily wrestled out of your hand, particularly if taken by surprise by an intruder. A centerfire rifle, is definitely not recommended for home defense the risk to innocent bystanders is far too great.
This is precisely what I had in mind. When I was in college I wrote a paper on firearms for home defense. Granted this is a personal choice and an opinion, but it is also based upon some objective facts. Now I don't advocate taking the offensive in the form of searching the house for any BG's. Best to have a solid place from which you can command a level of security and deliver fire if needed/possible. The handgun is far less problematic when trying to maneuver or entering a door opening or corner IF you chose to seek out the perp.

There are a few other considerations as well, but again... they tend to be personal preferences.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Simple solution:
Double stack hand gun for when you need close quarters work.
18.5 in barrel pump shotgun with mag extension to give 6 rounds in tube. May want to go to 7. Lots of good guns out there. Standard is Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.
AR-15 with 14.5 in barrel with pinned flash hider to satisfy the feds.

In a purely defensive situation, use the hand gun to get to the long guns and "hunker" down and wait for the police. If I have to move to help other family members in the house, I will us my Glock.
If I lived on several acres and had an outbuilding or two which were subject to burglarizing or arson, then a shotgun or an AR would be a very good choice. I tend to think along the lines of what's best for my specific situation and requirements. I live in a two-story colonial home. It's just me and my wife and we do have a plan in case we need to respond to an intrusion. We have only had to put that plan into play once since we had this home built. And it turned out to be a non-event (heavy rains with a close lightning strike caused our alarm to go off).

But as in so many things, it really boils down to personal preferences.

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
Training, training, training

SouthernBoy:

First of all, If you purchase any weapon, load it and put it in safe keeping then don't even waste the time of purchasing a weapon. I keep a Glock 17 Gen 4 in the night stand, and an AR15 handy as well. Why? You can never be over prepared. Practice with the weapon. Get comfortable with it. Put yourself in scenarios in your house where you can think about and simulate what you would do in the case of an invasion. No, you can never simulate what you will actually do, but the more time you spend training the odds are increased in your favor. And to the one who said no to the idea of an AR15 for home defense b/c you will miss...DON'T MISS!!! TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING.

Don't think that just b/c you have a shot gun, or any gun for that matter, that you're protected. If you don't know how to use it, you might as well not have one. So take the time to train with the weapon!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
SouthernBoy:
"Now I don't advocate taking the offensive in the form of searching the house for any BG's. Best to have a solid place from which you can command a level of security and deliver fire if needed/possible."
Good advise, SouthernBoy. Personally, if I can get the Hell out of the house I will, no material item that I own is worth what it will cost you to defend yourself in a potential multi million dollar lawsuit. Make no mistake about it you will get sued.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
GCBHM:
Missing the target is not the issue, it's what happens when the bullets pass thru the target at relatively close range, penetrate several walls and hit someone or something that was not intended.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
First of all, If you purchase any weapon, load it and put it in safe keeping then don't even waste the time of purchasing a weapon. I keep a Glock 17 Gen 4 in the night stand, and an AR15 handy as well. Why? You can never be over prepared. Practice with the weapon. Get comfortable with it. Put yourself in scenarios in your house where you can think about and simulate what you would do in the case of an invasion. No, you can never simulate what you will actually do, but the more time you spend training the odds are increased in your favor. And to the one who said no to the idea of an AR15 for home defense b/c you will miss...DON'T MISS!!! TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING.

Don't think that just b/c you have a shot gun, or any gun for that matter, that you're protected. If you don't know how to use it, you might as well not have one. So take the time to train with the weapon!
I have at least two firearms at my ready disposal at all times when home. And yes, I do as you suggested. I train with them and I imagine a variety of situations where I might have to employee one or more of those arms.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
SouthernBoy:

Good advise, SouthernBoy. Personally, if I can get the Hell out of the house I will, no material item that I own is worth what it will cost you to defend yourself in a potential multi million dollar lawsuit. Make no mistake about it you will get sued.
Such suits are very rare in Virginia*. In the event one does arise, I have insurance to cover such a thing.

Someone who breaks into your home after the sun has set is a burglar and burglary is one of the five felonies which can be responded to with deadly force (the other four being rape, robbery, arson, and murder). The perp or his family, is going to have a hard time convincing a jury or wrongful injury or death when he was shot during the act of one of these felonies. Not saying some shyster might want to try but it's going to be a tough case to win.

*Sources: Loudoun County Commonwealth's Attorney, man running for sheriff of Loudoun county.

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
GCBHM:
Missing the target is not the issue, it's what happens when the bullets pass thru the target at relatively close range, penetrate several walls and hit someone or something that was not intended.
Yes, I'm aware of what penetration is. Don't think that 00 buck won't go through a target and penetrate at close range either. No, probably not quite as well as a 5.56 round, but then just about any fast moving projectile is going to penetrate multiple objects at close range. There is no perfect scenario. My advice is to pick up something that shoots and get busy if you have to. I want as many rounds as possible in my hands if I have to. A shotgun is serviceable, but my G17 or AR will be preferable. At least for me.

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
SouthernBoy:

Could not agree with this more! Get somewhere you can defend your self if you have to, call 911 and hope you don't have to kill anyone. At least that's the way I look at it. Most ppl who do break in while you're at home don't mean to, and if they do, you're probably into a lot more than just work and play. You probably ain't gonna make it!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
SouthernBoy:
"The perp or his family, is going to have a hard time convincing a jury or wrongful injury or death when he was shot during the act of one of these felonies."
We have the "Castle Law" here in Arizona too, and you have no duty to retreat. However, once a lawsuit is filed you will have to hire an attorney to defend yourself in court even if they can't possibly win. Insurance or no insurance you are still going to be dragged through the ringer. Believe me I wish it weren't so, but in today's litigious society it is an almost certainty. Depending on the jury no one can predict what the outcome will be. After all O J Simpson was found not guilty of murder, but found civilly liable. A travesty of justice if there ever was one, he should have been flapping like a fish on a gurney. Sad as it is the criminal justice system as we know it is irreparably broken and the only ones who benefit from it are the trial lawyers, who also happen to be the politicians who pass these laws, designed the system, and only care about their bottom line. If it were up to me anyone who gets caught for minor theft would lose one finger for each offense. Burglary or armed robbery they lose a hand plus 25 years, no parole. Any type of violent crime that could cause death or serious bodily injury, life in prison at hard labor, no chance whatsoever for parole. Same for sexual assault. Intentional murder, mandatory death sentence to take place within a year, only one appeal. Will this ever happen? Hell no! But I'll bet we wouldn't have a crime problem. Unfortunately these same trial lawyers/politicians for the most part are more interested in rendering potential crime victims defenseless. Why not make it easy for criminals? After all the more crime that there is and the easier it is to commit those crimes, the more business the lawyers/politicians will have. If more people had the means to defend themselves and without any civil repercussions for their actions this would also reduce the amount of crime, and the bottom line of the lawyers/politicians. It's all about money and greed. Unfortunately not everyone can afford liability insurance in case of a lawsuit against them for legitimately exercising a God given right, nor should they have to. It could even get to the point where it would be prohibitively expensive to own just one gun if legislators require insurance as a condition to own a firearm as some have already proposed. This just goes to show how screwed up this country really is. It's a shame that the American people let them get away with this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A 12 ga shotgun loaded with 3" #4 Buckshot will send 42 .243 projectiles each time you pull the trigger. With 5 rounds, that is 210 projectiles!

An AR15 will send ONE .223 round each time you pull the trigger. With a 30 round mag., that is 30 projectiles.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts