Handgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy an IWB/appendix holster for a Shield and was curious about sweat guards. A couple I was considering are the Blade Tech Klipt and the Blackhawk A.R.C since they are relatively cheap and it seems like the SOP is to accumulate a drawer full of holsters anyway! Neither have a guard and I didn't know if the slide serrations against the belly would get old or if the guards would generally have the same effect.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I didn't think the sweat guard feature was important - until it came on my Raven Phantom holster. Now I wouldn't have a holster without it. Besides being more comfortable & protecting your gun from salty perspiration, it also helps guide your gun into the holster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have Alien IWB holster for FNX-45. The guard smooths the feeling against your skin/shirt and its easy to forget you are carrying except for the 24oz pistol and 16 rounds of 45 ammo.

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
I suggest that the deciding factor might be whether or not your pistol has a safety lever, and whether or not the sweat guard can be wet-formed to trap that safety lever (if it's there). A sweat guard that cannot be wet-formed will not decisively trap a safety lever, and, in some cases, will even move the safety to "off."

If your pistol is single-action, like for instance the 1911, immobilizing the safety lever is very important. The holster's sweat guard must be wet-formed to control it.
But if your pistol is "traditional double-action," the position of the safety lever is not a terribly important issue.
And most double-action-only pistols don't have safety levers in the first place.

·
Administrator
4,194 Posts
Here's an example of what Steve is talking about.

You just need to make sure that any shields don't interfere with your draw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts