Handgun Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
452 Posts
True. I have heard, don't know this to be fact, that in some states open carry in a vehicle is fine even though not fine when out and about. Again, I do not know if this is true. In my state, open carry is the normal method of carrying a sidearm whereas concealing it requires a permission slip from our employees.
Open carry has always been legal in Arizona in fact just like Virginia it was the only way to carry legally. Then they required a permit to conceal carry until we went full Constitutional Carry in 2010. I was always under the impression that Virginia was a Constitutional carry state too? With 50 different states it's hard to keep track of the myriad different gun laws.

· Registered
205 Posts
Muscle memory isn't really muscle memory, it's brain memory. I carry my gun on my hip the overwhelming majority of the time.

It doesn't matter if I think that's the best way or even a good way, my employer required it at work so I decided to always carry that way.

My brain is conditioned to reach for my right hip when I need a gun. My brain would have to overcome that conditioning to reach for a car holster. I don't know about this for sure but I also believe that when my brain reached for my hip and didn't find a gun there it would also have to overcome the brain LOCK that ensues.

That's why I don't carry my gun a lot of different ways and a lot of different places.

I'm also absolutely CONVINCED if you off body Carry long enough you will walk away and forget your gun.

Edited to correct typos

· Registered
5,410 Posts
Muscle memory isn't really muscle memory, it's brain memory. I carry my gun on my hip the overwhelming majority of the time.

It doesn't matter if I think that's the best way or even a good way, my employer required it at work so I decided to always carry that way.

My brain is conditioned to reach for my right hip when I need a gun. My brain would have to overcome that conditioning to reach for a car holster. I don't know about this for sure but I also believe that when my brain reached for my hip and didn't find a gun there it would also have to overcome the brain locked that ensues.

That's why I don't carry my gun a lot of different ways and a lot of different places.

I'm also absolutely condensed if you off body Carry long enough you will walk away and forget your gun
Same here. Always on my strong (right) side in a belt holster and OWB. Doesn't matter what gun I am carrying with one exception, which I have not practiced for ten years and that would be carrying a mouse gun (LCP-type) in a front pocket. Like you, I don't want to confuse my brain about where my sidearm might be when I may really need it and my brain resorts to its basic instinctual and learned reactions.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts