Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a holster that can be attached to the lower front seat of a automobile;? not under it or on the side. Attachment may involve permanent sowing or riveting of some kind. I would like to be able to grab a gun quickly if needed. It seems like the best place for it. I have a Taurus 605 and a Toyota Corolla. Thank you.

· Administrator
14,304 Posts
Here are a few I found:

· Registered
706 Posts
Those are some good practical car holsters there. Thanks for the posting. Food for thought...

Reactions: Shipwreck

· Registered
204 Posts
I use a cross-draw OWB almost all the time (although a shoulder holster works well for the same reasons that I find comfortable). I find it easy to draw in the car. When I sit down, I pull up my shirt, sweater, or jacket to expose my gun, fasten my seat belt, and I'm good to go. Someone at my window would never notice it. I can quickly pull down my shirt, sweater, or jacket to cover it before I leave the car.

I prefer my gun on me. Sometimes I will drive in certain parts of town where I have another gun under a jacket in the passenger seat with the butt towards me. It might be a J-Frame or even a FEG High-Power clone, but it too goes with me when I leave the car. The J-Frame goes in a pocket, the FEG into a strong side holster. I don't leave my guns in the car.

I can understand why you might want a car holster, but I find several problems with them. Their visibility, anyone else in the car has access, and if you have a wreck where is the gun?

Consider a cross-draw; much easier than any other way to present a gun in a car for right-handers without contortions.

· Registered
204 Posts
I have considered getting one of these. But you have to hide the gun when you exit the car.

It is harder to get to a gun on your waist when seat belted in.
That may be due to body type, ease of mobility, and type of carry. As my strong arm shoulder doesn't work as well or as fast, cross-draw and shoulder holsters are faster and much easier.

· Administrator
14,304 Posts
That may be due to body type, ease of mobility, and type of carry. As my strong arm shoulder doesn't work as well or as fast, cross-draw and shoulder holsters are faster and much easier.
I hear ya, but shoulder holsters have always given me neck and shoulder problems. I have tried 4 different times since the early 1990s.

Plus, it is too damn hot to wear a cover here in Texas.

· Registered
90 Posts
A guy I know was at a turnpike rest area sitting in his car. Robber approached him from the driver side, gun pointed at him, demanded his wallet. My friend said "okay, take it easy" - reached with his right hand to the holstered gun on the passenger side of the center console obscured from the robber's view. If the robber ever realized it wasn't a wallet my friend raised up he never had time to react, he got plugged between the eyes and dropped where he stood. Broad daylight, a crowd of witnesses. Had the guy approached from the other side it might have gone differently but it all worked out in my friend's favor.

· Registered
462 Posts
I have to agree with that video 100%. I carry more than one gun, one in a horizontal shoulder holster which makes access while sitting in a vehicle easiest. The other in a pocket or outside the waistband holster. Both are covered by a loose fitting shirt for concealment. If that's not possible for some and you're in your vehicle most of the time then a horizontal shoulder holster would probably be best. Never leave a gun in a vehicle where it can be easily found and stolen.

· Registered
706 Posts
Good topic.
Sitting behind a wheel and belted in a seat is a very vulnerable position. I have been working on a shoulder rig, vest pocket carry and IWB at 4 0-clock with a BUG. Clothing factors to consider as well as location of CCW is something to consider. I fall back on always having my CC on my body now with primary or BUG at my 4 o-clock position. Always wanted to try a car holster rig but too many factors just muddle it up for me. Those are some good options here for the vehicle holster by the way.
*Pray we never have to go through drawing from the seated position, but times are really messed up now and I have run in to too many close calls over these past years. You really have to keep your head in the game when out and about anymore or just stay home.
*State laws favor the perps so you have to know what is legal and what works for you.

Reactions: Arizona Desertman

· Registered
9,486 Posts
Initially, I kind of felt that a seat holster would be okay. But....I'm OCD when it comes to firearms and the safe carrying, transportation, and storage of them.

Several members brought up good reasons as to why they'e not such a good idea. People forget and leave their kid(s) in a car all the time in very hot days. Some died from it. Others lave their kids in a car and dash into a store for just a moment, come back out, and find their car gone......with the kids. Happens all the time.

That's reason enough, to NOT have a gun in a car other than on your very person. Just too easy to forget that it's in your car.

· Registered
5,415 Posts
That's great if open carry is legal in your home state.
True. I have heard, don't know this to be fact, that in some states open carry in a vehicle is fine even though not fine when out and about. Again, I do not know if this is true. In my state, open carry is the normal method of carrying a sidearm whereas concealing it requires a permission slip from our employees.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts