Handgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright let me start off this post by listing the pistols I already own... and for reference my 1-10 scale opinions of them:

Smith and Wesson model 36:: 5
Taurus PT-92 :: 7
Ruger SR9c :: 9
Ruger LCP :: 6
Walther P22 :: 6

Obviously the big boys of the group are the Taurus PT 92 and the SR9c... And they are both FANTASTIC guns.... The SR9c is a WONDERFUL option for concealed carry, very accurate (surprisingly, more accurate than my PT92), recoil is very manageable, and the magazine capacity is superb with the extended 17 round mag. Also worthy of mention on the ruger is the suberb quality... everything is just... perfect, and for a very low price. The Taurus PT92 and I have a love/hate relationship... it is my FAVORITE gun ergonomically, I love the full size function and feel, magazine capacity, etc. That being said, the factory iron sights are HORRIBLE... the gun GROUPS well but i can't hit my target. I will probably invest in new sights for it someday. I should also tell you, I have a crazy love for all things 92 (be it beretta or taurus, i love love love the design)

So, on to the question... I want another pistol. By Christmas time I should have 600 or 700 bucks to blow on a pistol... and I need opinions/suggestions.

Guns I am considering:
Beretta 92fs
Glock 17/22/21
M&P9/40/45
XD9/40/45
CZ75

Also, I am interested in using the pistol I get either soon or eventually for competition shooting... not sure what type yet but something with action involved. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
Is it OK if my answer is "None of the above"?

A Note About Your Taurus:
When I read a comment like "the gun GROUPS well but i can't hit my target," my immediate thought is that your technique is at fault, not the gun.
If the gun "groups well" in your hands, then the problem isn't its sights. Rather, the problem is where the sights are lined-up when the bullet exits the pistol's barrel.
I want to make a prediction. I predict, without knowing you or seeing your target, that if you are right-handed, your bullets hit the target low-and-left. (If you are left-handed, it's low-and-right.)
Well, how'd I do?

If I am correct, let's continue this conversation, and I'll tell you how to fix your problem.
If I'm wrong, please let me know-and also let me know exactly where your hits group themselves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, actually, I feel horrible to even hint at telling you "you're wrong" because you obviously know what you're talking about. But what I do want to emphasize is that with other guns (such as the sr9c) I am very accurate. The problem with the taurus (in my novice opinion) is that the front sight is not painted where the center of the front sight should be (you know how the little hole is drilled out? the paint is only partially in that hole, the rest is out of the hole on the right side of the front post). so when i line up the three dots, i shoot to the left. It's like... the ONLY thing i dont like about the gun. Also because of my interest in competition shooting, would you recommend I get a knew gun, or just spend less money to work out the kinks in my pt92 and have some left over for mags and equipment and such?

·
Registered
475 Posts
What kind of competition shooting? If IDPA or USPSA, the striker fired guns (Glock, M&P, XDM...) rule the roost in the stock pistol divisions. Shoot them all and buy the one you like. If you get a Glock, you will want to replace the sights.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, since you haven't gotten a straight answer to your question yet, I'll go.

CZ-75. And make it the SP-01 model. I have it as well as a Beretta 92fs, and if you like that, you'll love the CZ-75 SP-01.

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
No, actually, I feel horrible to even hint at telling you "you're wrong" because you obviously know what you're talking about. But what I do want to emphasize is that with other guns (such as the sr9c) I am very accurate. The problem with the taurus (in my novice opinion) is that the front sight is not painted where the center of the front sight should be (you know how the little hole is drilled out? the paint is only partially in that hole, the rest is out of the hole on the right side of the front post). so when i line up the three dots, i shoot to the left. It's like... the ONLY thing i dont like about the gun. Also because of my interest in competition shooting, would you recommend I get a knew gun, or just spend less money to work out the kinks in my pt92 and have some left over for mags and equipment and such?
OK. I'm glad to learn that you know something about pistol shooting. That's good news, and I don't mind being wrong. (Believe me, I get lots of practice at it.)

I suggest that the solution to your problem might be to black-out the rear sight's dots. You might also have to slightly widen the rear sight's notch, so you can see just a thin line of daylight on either side of the properly-lined-up front sight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ARPC IDPA January 2013 Match - YouTube
thats a cz75 sp01 and his reloads seem to be slow and problematic... I don't know about the beretta 92fs for competition, because unlike the pt92 (which i have) you cannot start cocked and locked on a beretta 92 action, whereas you CAN on a pt92 action, because of the frame mounted safety. (haven't had much personal experience with a beretta 92 so if i was wrong on that feel free to correct me)

I've shot a glock 19 before, i didn't really like the way it felt, the snappiness of the recoil, etc. MAYBE the 17 would be a bit better but overall i think glock is pretty low on my wishlist.

I used to have a c02 bb pistol that was a licensed mp9 look/feel-alike... and man that gun has some freaking AWESOME ergonomics... very low bore axis which (from what i've heard) is good for competition shooting (obviously would be getting the real steel version for teh competitions haha)

I've held an xd and it is a bit rigid, like the glock, but i've heard its a great gun, so eh, i dont know

and steve- that might work, but would it be fine just to get my sights repainted by a gunsmith? im a huge fan of the 3 white dot sights and i do really well with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll tell you right now, the best ergonomics I have ever felt were the M&P's. The CZ 75b is also a nice feeling gun. All steel and quality gun. It can take a beating from what I've heard. I'm looking at getting a CZ, but also maybe a XDm 9 in compact (3.8 in barrel) or full size (4.5 in barrel). The only negative I see on the XD is the grip safety, which I have no experience with but don't particularly like. I've shot a bit but I am looking into getting my own handgun soon as well, same price range as you. Let me know how your search goes, and good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts