Handgun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first off i would like to say i am new to this forum, and am glad to be a member. The question i would like to pose is which handgun should we get first. I'm only 17 but i have talked my family into purchasing a handgun for home self defense on top of the shotgun that was given to me as a gift, and the shotgun my mom has. I personally feel a handgun is better for quick and immediate self defense but i also want my mom to get her CCW and carry on a regular basis. The first handgun we are going to get will be mine in the sense that when I turn 18 it will be given to me as a gift as is required by law. Until then it will remain in the home as an alternative means to self defense as well as a range gun. We don't have a budget per say, as we can save for the gun. The choices i have come down to are a police trade in Smith and Wesson M&P .40 with night sights for 369$. Another one i have picked out is an entry level rock island 1911. I have also looked at the walther PPQ and the beretta 92FS. I don't like the glock and neither does my mom due to the grip angle and texture on the grip. We have both handled and shot these guns and have different opinions as to which one would be sufficient for home defense. I would like suggestions as to which would be the better gun in terms such as build quality and reliability as i don't have experience with those things as i have not owned any of these guns before. I personally like the M&P, 1911, and walther but my mom has severe nerve damage on the right side of her body so she is now a lefty, so Ambi's are a must, which of course the walther, 1911 and M&P have. This was a long intro i know but i would just like some general opinions on our choices as well as the functionality of the weapons themselves.

Thanks!,
Mercer

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Welcome, I'd probably go with the Smith and Wesson M&P .40 with night sights for 369$. None of the pistols you've mentioned get a no go, but it would be tough to beat the S&W .40 w/ n/sights. Just depends what you all can agree on and what fits best for everyone.

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
Welcome, I'd probably go with the Smith and Wesson M&P .40 with night sights for 369$. None of the pistols you've mentioned get a no go, but it would be tough to beat the S&W .40 w/ n/sights. Just depends what you all can agree on and what fits best for everyone.
I would have to agree. The only thing I caution you against is your mom shooting a .40 with severe nerve damage. If she can handle it well, meaning she is accurate and it does not cause pain, etc., fine. Go with that. It is hard to beat the quality of the M&P. Don't discount the 9mm though! You can find very good used guns for reasonable prices. Sig, Beretta, Springfield, CZ, FN all make real quality products, and you can get them used at good prices. I also recommend a basic handgun course to teach you some good home defense tactics such as making a plan, identifying egress routes, etc. Your local gun store should at least be able to point you in the right direction. Your best and most important defensive weapon is your mind, so training is paramount.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Agree with the S&W and also think a 9mm may be more appropriate for 1 handed (non-dominate hand) shooting.... only for recoil control issues. I'd rent a .40 cal first to see if it's gonna be manageable. M&P with no safety and ambidextrous slide locks is a good choice. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
My usual advice, in cases like yours:
Rent shooting time on as many guns as you can find/afford, maybe five guns per session.
Look for comfort and convenience, since all modern guns are more accurate than you are.
Take careful notes on each rental gun.
Go home and look your notes over, and think about it. Then make your choice.

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
As always, this is good advice from Steve. Shooting as many different pistols as you can get your hands on is always the best way to figure out what to buy. Personally, I would stick with proven manufacturers such as Beretta, Browning, Colt, CZ, FN, Glock, HK, Sig, Springfield, S&W. Nothing against a Rock Island, but you don't see many profesionals using them. The .40 is a fantastic round, but it can be hard on people with small wrists or those who have severe nerve damage. It is just such a powerful, snappy round for recoil. I would recomment trying .380, 9mm and .45 along with the .40 just so you can feel the difference. The main thing is placement. It really doesn't matter what you're shooting if you can't hit the target consistently. It takes an avg of 2.5 shots to stop the avg threat, and over 95% of all altercations take place within 15' and are over withing a few seconds, so keep that in mind when thinking defensive shooting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have shot all the ones i have mentioned, and she was able to handle the .40 fairly well and place nice groups. Me personally, i like the police trade in M&P because of price and the added night sights, but i can buy a new one with 3 mags instead of one for only 60$ more. She liked the walther the most because of the 100% ambi controls and there was a very nice trigger on it. Her nerve damage isn't bad in the sense that she can't move her arm, she just explains it to me, as i can't experience it myself, like her arm is asleep with pins and needles 24/7. I can also find some good deals on used berettas from JGsales, or even the Canik55 TP9 (Which i shot) for 299.99$ It's like a walther p99 clone and its a great gun for the money from what people say. So all in all, she was able to handle all the guns except the rock island mainly due to the weight, and the beretta due to its larger grips. I was just wondering which of these would be the most reliable and hardy guns in the long run.

Thanks for all the replies!,
Mercer

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
I think in the long run, the M&P would be your best bet, and I would also think about going brand new for only $60 more. You can get a set of night sites for around $60, and modify the trigger relatively easy so that it is a lot cleaner than the standard factory trigger. I love the M&P line. Outstanding pistols! Go rent a M&P9 and see how you like it. You can always get the .40, but at least you'd know how they compare. One thing to consider is that 9MM is cheaper than .40, and most people are able to get better shots on target. Believe me, I was once a .40 man all the way, but I am able to get better shot placement with the 9mm. And with ammunition technology today, you really don't need to go bigger. Nothing wrong with it if you want to, but it isn't necessary. Think about having to shoot under pressure, heart pounding so hard you can't even hear your own thoughts, mind blank and vision draws to a tunnel. Your mind is your most important weapon. You're the brain. The gun is the braun.

Also, the Canik55 has really good reviews, and it looks cool too. It's really a PPQ clone, though. I'd go with the Walther. Nice pistols, and they are ambi-friendly. Great ergonomics and proven reliability. But it sounds like you may have your mind made up to go with the M&P, which you can't go wrong with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think we're going to shoot the M&P and walther some more (If we can find a walther to rent!), because those are the two we're deciding on. Will post pictures of the new gun in the coming weeks after we receive it. Thank you all for the comments and suggestions!

Thanks,
Mercer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts