Handgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, to begin—my father recently passed. He’d lived quite a life, so no sympathies are needed.

my mom is wanting to sell his guns. I’m going to get a handgun to remember him by. I’ve narrowed it down to a Sig Sauer GSR .45 and a Baretta px4 storm 9 mm. Both with custom sites.
I am not familiar with either so thought I’d ask a group.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The Sig may not be as easy to obtain as a Px4. Unless the Px4 was a Langdon custom job.

take The above statement for what it is worth

I have Sigs, but none of their 1911s. I have 2 Px4s and shoot the hack out of them. But I really like DA/SA handguns and basically cut my handgun teeth on Beretts.

really comes down to what you prefer and what you think better reflects your memories of your Father.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for taking the time to reply. All of the guns I grew up with are gone. Not by my mom but by general evolution. I grew up on revolvers. By the time he passed there were no more left.
I tend to lean toward the Baretta, but don’t want to pass up on a superior gun doing so. I read up on the sig gsr/1911. It’s supposed to be a very well put together piece. Though it seems the Baretta is a good one too.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to reply. All of the guns I grew up with are gone. Not by my mom but by general evolution. I grew up on revolvers. By the time he passed there were no more left.
I tend to lean toward the Baretta, but don’t want to pass up on a superior gun doing so. I read up on the sig gsr/1911. It’s supposed to be a very well put together piece. Though it seems the Baretta is a good one too.
The Sig is a well made put together piece, that's for sure. I just bought a Sig 1911 TTT (Two Tone Tactical) it's probably one of if not the nicest 1911 that I own. I own six 1911's. Three Kimber's, one Detonics Combat Master. one Colt and now this one. When I saw it in the gun case there was no way in hell that I could pass it up. Indeed Beretta's are well made guns too. I own four of them but I don't own a PX4 Storm. You can't compare an all steel or an all stainless steel Sig to a polymer framed Beretta. If you have to choose between the two it's my opinion that the all steel/stainless steel Sig is the one two own.

The Beretta PX4 storm sells for a little over $500. The Sig sells for over twice that. 1911's are ubiquitous and there are God only knows how many aftermarket parts, magazines and accessories that are available for them. After all they've been around since 1911, the PX4 since 2004. 1911's have withstood the test of time, are obviously still in production and copied by a wide variety of manufacturers today. I don't know if the same can be said for the PX4? Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell.

If the time ever comes where you'll have to sell it, hopefully never, you're gonna' get a lot more for the Sig then for the PX4 Storm. It's simply a more valuable gun, it is what it is, and no more complicated than that.

Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I'd keep both. Pretty much apples to oranges as far as collectibility and resale in favor of the Sig. The PX4 is a very reliable workhorse holding twice the bb's at less cost for ammunition if you plan on shooting it a lot. Re-sale on the PX4 wouldn't be worth selling it in my opinion. I'm a DA/SA guy and a Beretta fanboy

·
Registered
274 Posts
I’m going to get a handgun to remember him by. I’ve narrowed it down to a Sig Sauer GSR .45 and a Baretta px4 storm 9 mm. Both with custom sites.
I am not familiar with either so thought I’d ask a group.
That would be the Sig... There is a reason it is worth so much more than the other. I bet your dad knew that reason. :cool:

Sam

·
Registered
274 Posts
well—for those curious souls:

I was able to keep both. I bought beyond what was given. I am so happy I have the beretta. However, I have to admit the sig is so much more of a personal attachment. Will try to send a photo, because it’s pretty.
A guy can never have too many guns. You did good. (y)
YES! Pics of the pretty Sig please.

Sam

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
well—for those curious souls:

I was able to keep both. I bought beyond what was given. I am so happy I have the beretta. However, I have to admit the sig is so much more of a personal attachment. Will try to send a photo, because it’s pretty.
Lucky man! Glad you have a couple of quality firearms to remember your father by.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve been tracking down info on my new guns. I called sig, and apparently the serial number is old enough they have no records of it. It is a low number. I had no troubles finding info on the beretta and shotgun (Ruger red label). Oh well

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would take the 45 acp SIG ... but I see you were able to get both .
Still ... if you have to part with something ...KEEP the Sig . A 1911 in 45 acp is very comforting to have .
Gary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts