Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
2400 said:
Am I the only handloader here?
Actually, I may give it a try... Back when I was younger I use to help my grandfather when he would do it. He had a nice little set-up in his garage. He mostly handloaded shot gun shells. I'd like to give the 9mm reloading a try.

Any recommendations on handloading/reloading equipment...? Nothing to fancy, just something to get started.

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Blew up a Glock 17 using reloads from an in-law back in 1995. After that, I swore off reloads. I'd rather buy factory ammo.

Was at a range meeting w/ a bunch of people from Glocktalk last summer. 1 person wanted to try my Beretta 92FS, but they had "remanufacturered ammo." I had em use a few rounds of regular factory ammo - I didn't want that going thru my gun.

9mm isn't really worth reloading anyway.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shipwreck said:
Blew up a Glock 17 using reloads from an in-law back in 1995. After that, I swore off reloads. I'd rather buy factory ammo.

I agree, I'd rather use factory ammo or not shoot than use someone else's reloads. There's nothing wrong or dangerous about loading your own ammo though. I load 9mm because a friend of mine gave me 3K 124 gr bullets and an 8# keg of Unique. When all you need to buy is primers that's cost effective loading (about 1 1/2 cents a round). :-D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have reloaded ammo for all of my weapons since I was 18.I have never blew up a gun.I have bought cheap rifles and made them into shooters by finding the sweet load for the rifle.I can also explore new loads not available from the factory or different bullets.At present I load for 8 Mag,.300 Weatherby,.300 H&H,7mm BR,25 Wssm,25-20,.223,8x57,30-06,7 Mag,308 Win,9mm,44 Special,44 Mag,.357 & 38,.380,45 acp and the list goes on for what I have dies for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shipwreck said:
I would have to respectfully disagree. Why is 9mm not worth reloading but other calibers are? 9mm reloading is just like any other pistol caliber. It gives you a chance to try different loads in your gun to see which one it shoots more accurately. It also gives you a chance to produce loads that aren't that common for factory ammo such as 125 gr and 130 gr loads along with fairly inexpensive 147gr loads.

I can load good quality 9mm for $.07/round. That's with quality components too.

Speer 124 gr FMJ
Winchester brass
CCI primer
5.2 gr of Unique.

Winchester white box at the local Wally World is up to almost $12/100 rounds. That means for every 1,000 rounds I go thru I save on average $50. I shoot approx. 1,200 rounds per month during the IPSC season so that is a savings of $60 per month or $420 over a seven month season. Guess what? I just paid for my press and then some in only 7 months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ballistic,

Where do you buy your supplies? I am seriously considering about getting into reloading. Everywhere I go, most people say it isn't worth reloading 9mm if all you want to do is save money. I am not looking for higher velocities or anything like that right now. However, if I can save $0.05 a round, I'll do it. Plus I want to reload 40S&W and .223.

Who's equipment do you use?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, first post.
Anyway, I thought I'd chime in with some of my experiences. I've only been handloading for a few months, but I've found it to be very enjoyable. I'll repeat what I've read from a lot of people, you probably won't end up saving money reloading, but instead shooting a lot more for the same amount of money. I'd reccomend your first purchase to be a reloading book, or two. I own both the "Lee Modern Reloading Volume 2" and "Lyman 48th edition" manuals. Most anything recent will give you a good overview of techniques, and advice on what equipment you will need. While I thoroughly enjoyed the Lee book, it is loaded with propaganda for Lee's own products. Many people I've talked to either enjoyed it, or hated it because of Richard Lee's style of writing (lots of opinion thrown in.)

As far as equipment goes, I think it's best to start off with a decent single stage press, the appropriate dies/shellholders, reloading blocks, scale, calipers, powder measure, and of course brass/powder/bullets. I've probably forgotten something...

I've bought my first stuff used from friends, then from a Cabella's store, because my local gun shops didn't have much of a selection, then I found a store pretty close by that sells only reloading supplies. I also order things they don't carry from www.midwayusa.com. There are a bunch of online stores that sell this sort of stuff, but I haven't tried anyone else yet. Anyway, Midway has a guide here http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/...og2006/Reloading/Metallic Reloading Tools.pdf
which shows more products than I could thing to find a use for.

If you start digging around on the internet, you'll probably find a mess of polarized brand reccomendations, and a lot of it has to do with budget. As far as the less expensive stuff goes, Lee dies have worked great for me, but I've read varying account of their presses. I only have one Lee press, which is their cheapest (around $20 or so) which came with my Lee reloading book. I've only ever used it to hold my powder measure, and I'm not sure I'd want to use it for anything else.

I'm going to quit before I get ahead of myself here. Hopefully some of this might be useful.

·
Registered
218 Posts
reloading

First post
I reload also been doing it for years, like saving money and makeing almo. the way I like enjoy reloading, it's as much fun as shooting.

·
Registered
643 Posts
thinking of it really hard.
I like the idea of customizing my rounds.
I'm not sure I'll save that much.

AFS

·
Registered
7 Posts
Love reloading it is almost as much fun as shooting. I currently load for the following calibers:

270 WIN
45 ACP
38 SPCL
357 MAG

G

·
Greetings...

1: Reloading rarely saves money. Especially in 9mm...

It does however - If you do it correctly - result in far greater accuracy..

A: It takes a HECK of a LOT of time - a week to reload 1000 rounds - contrasted with 3 minutes to BUY 1000 rounds...

B: It takes a LOT of money - $70+ - for 1000 bullets, another $20 for the powder, ( assume the cases are free - another $15 for 1000 primers... NOT to mention the TIME ) $69.00 plus tax for 1000 preloaded rounds...

C: To discover your perfect recipe - will mean that you are going to load up at LEAST 500 rounds in various combinations - Oops there's ANOTHER $100 bucks....

- Try this:

4.5 grains of Winchester pistol powder - 115 grain hornady XTP bullet in a Winchester case - CCI small pistol primer... That's MY perfect load in MY Ruger P95dc...

Your mileage may vary - I score head shots on prairie dogs at 200+ yards with it... Obviously it's NOT +P ammo - it's ACCURATE ammo and accuracy is everything...

·
Registered
218 Posts
reloading

Hello.
If you do not shoot a lot then it would be cheaper to buy store ammo. I shoot around 400 rds a month, no way can i pay store prices for 45 acp.
already did my math on this. besides i have reload for 35 years.
can't break the habit, i enjoy reloading thats all that matters.

G

·
Re: reloading

gene said:
Hello.
If you do not shoot a lot then it would be cheaper to buy store ammo. I shoot around 400 rds a month, no way can i pay store prices for 45 acp.
already did my math on this. besides i have reload for 35 years.
can't break the habit, i enjoy reloading thats all that matters.
Hey gene, welcome to the forum... :)

How much are you spending per month on your own handloaded ammo...? On average...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I shoot cast lead bullets reload 400 rds. for about $3o.60.
you should try it I think you will like it after you get into it.

G

·
gene said:
I've been giving it some serious thought. I use to help my grandfather when I was younger, much younger... :wink: He had a great set up out in his garage. He has long since passed and his old loading set up is long gone as well. Any suggestions on equipment...?

·
Registered
218 Posts
reloading

I use rcbs single stage press, about 16 years old works like a new one,
I don't keep up on prices since i have all the equipment I need.
you can check around on reloading equipment from midway and other places. starting out i would look for the single stage press and dies for the cal. you will be shooting, some of the kits will have most of the stuff that will get you started. make sure you have a reloading manual to read on getting started. it will help if you have a friend that reloads to assit you at first. you will not know all about reloading thr first few days or weeks.
I still fine ot things after reloading for years.
you will spend more money getting started getting your equipment, later on you can add more goodies as you like.
hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
js said:
gene said:
I've been giving it some serious thought. I use to help my grandfather when I was younger, much younger... :wink: He had a great set up out in his garage. He has long since passed and his old loading set up is long gone as well. Any suggestions on equipment...?
Are you looking for a low cost setup or high end?

Low cost I think you can't beat the kits from Lee or RBC.

Mid to High end single stage press Lee's classic chase or RCBS Rock Chucker is very nice and here grate things about the Forster Co-Ax Single Stage Press

High end progressive Hornady LNL AP or Dillon 650 will do you well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts