Handgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to handguns. I grew up a hunter, always around long guns, but recently have gotten into handguns. Several months back, I bought my first handgun, a CZ75 B 9mm. I like it a lot. I now have new handgun purchasing permits and am looking for suggestions on what to buy. My tentative plan is to buy a .22 then something larger like a .44 or .45. I also really liked the beretta 92FS in stainless steel, but I think I'd like to get some other guns before getting another 9mm.

Any recommendations for .22s and larger guns (.44, .45) would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to buy quality guns that last. I definitely prefer metal over polymer, but am open to suggestions. Thanks!

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
Why do you prefer steal over polymer? I would recommend Ruger and Walther for a .22, and Ruger for the .44 or .45 as well.

The CZ is a great pistol!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Well if you really like CZ you may want one of their .45's. If you are talking .44 as .44 magnum you may want look into a S&W 629. The .44 mag is very powerful cartridge it can be a challenge to shoot and also alot more expensive. When I take mine to the range I rarely want a second box of ammo. I would definitely suggest renting a .44 mag before purchasing.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
I am fairly new to handguns. I grew up a hunter, always around long guns, but recently have gotten into handguns. Several months back, I bought my first handgun, a CZ75 B 9mm. I like it a lot. I now have new handgun purchasing permits and am looking for suggestions on what to buy. My tentative plan is to buy a .22 then something larger like a .44 or .45. I also really liked the beretta 92FS in stainless steel, but I think I'd like to get some other guns before getting another 9mm.

Any recommendations for .22s and larger guns (.44, .45) would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to buy quality guns that last. I definitely prefer metal over polymer, but am open to suggestions. Thanks!
Brands such as S&W, Colt, Beretta, Sig, and HK, all typically appreciate in value as the years go by. For some, that's not a concern. For others, they like seeing their investments go up in value, even if used, but taken well care of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For the .22 be sure to consider Browning's Buckmark Camper. Also, be sure to wrap your hands around a 92fs before you get set on owning one. The grip is so wide I couldn't comfortably hold it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
For the .22, you can't go wrong with one of the Ruger MkII or MkIII models. They come in Hunter or Target variations with bull, fluted or plain barrels and different sites. I don't think you'll ever hear of somebody wearing one out and there is HUGE aftermarket support for them. They've been making the MK series for years and started with the Standard then they MKI and on up. They're very reliable and accurate. They're pretty much the gun to beat for the price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up purchasing a S&W M&P 22mm. I had narrowed it down to a ruger & the S&W, but the M&P felt very comfortable and was a good fit for a left handed shooter in my opinion. Thank you everyone for the advice!

While the purchase was being processed, I was looking at 45s. I really liked the Ruger SR1911 .45..I am considering this for my next purchase. After that, I'd like to get a revolver (maybe a .357)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts