Handgun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my wife a 38 snub for her birthday. We both have CCW and I want her to carry it and be registered on it. First question does she need to be the registered owner in order to carry and how do I transfer it to her if she does?

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
You need to consult Georgia law specifically. You can either do it yourself, or you can hire an attorney to do it for you.

Or, you might consult the Georgia police agency which issued you and your wife your CCW permits. But beware: Police answers to these questions are not always accurate, but you are still personally responsible for obeying the law.
Sometimes a state will issue a pamphlet containing the laws pertaining to CCW permits and gun ownership. You might ask the police agency for that. The federal government's BATFE issues a thick book of "selected state laws" pertaining to gun ownership, and you will possibly find that at your local public library.

Every state in the US posts all of its laws, fully indexed, on one state website or another. Start by Googling "Georgia State Law," and see what leads come up.
Most public libraries have a complete set of state laws in the reference section.
All county courthouses contain law libraries which are free to all, staffed by knowledgeable librarians.
Many law schools will permit a member of the general public to use their law libraries.

Firearms and concealed-carry laws are usually indexed under "Criminal Code." Sometimes CCW laws are indexed under "Licensing." See what you can find.

·
Registered
635 Posts
There is no registering guns in GA. You can give a gun to your wife and that's all it take to be legal. As long as your both CCW there is no need for background checks in GA either when buying a gun from FFL dealer. There is no need to transfer anything all you have to do is give it to her as a gift and your legal. Funny you can't buy a person a gun for them in a straw purchase format but you can give it as a gift.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Do I remember correctly that someone recently purchased a gun, and then gave it as a gift to his father-in-law, after which he was arrested and charged with having made a "straw purchase"? I don't even remember in which state this happened.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I bought my wife a 38 snub for her birthday. We both have CCW and I want her to carry it and be registered on it. First question does she need to be the registered owner in order to carry and how do I transfer it to her if she does?
As already stated check with the state law in Georgia......

Federal law does allow the transfer you are seeking.

Federal Law allows a person to transfer or acquire a firearm to or from an unlicensed resident of his/her State, if he/she does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms. Federal Law sets the age of ownership for a Long Gun at 18 and a Handgun at 21.
Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF

Just Google "RECORD of FIREARMS TRANSFER BETWEEN UNLICENSED PERSONS" to obtain a fillable PDF copy of a form you can use.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rec...CENSED PERSONS&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

NOTE: Unlicensed means the person does not hold a federal firearms license(gun dealers/shops)

If legal in your state its a no mess no fuss transfer.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Do I remember correctly that someone recently purchased a gun, and then gave it as a gift to his father-in-law, after which he was arrested and charged with having made a "straw purchase"? I don't even remember in which state this happened.
IF the father in law gave the money for the gift then yes it may be a straw purchase. But if I buy you a gift with my money it is not a straw purchase. Only when I buy it for you when you can't legally own one or if you give me the money to buy it for you because you can't do it yourself. A straw purchase or nominee purchase is any purchase wherein an agent agrees to acquire a good or service for someone who is unable or unwilling to purchase the good or service himself, and the agent transfers the goods/services to that person after purchasing them. Straw purchases are legal except in cases where the ultimate receiver of goods or services uses those goods or services in the commission of a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser, or if the ultimate possessor is not legally able to purchase the goods/services. In some cases, the agent in the straw purchase may receive money or recompense from the ultimate possessor.
Firearms

Straw purchases can be illegal in the United States when made at a federally licensed firearm dealership. If the straw purchaser of the firearm lies about the identity of the ultimate possessor of the gun, he can be charged with making false statements on a federal Firearms Transaction Record. If a firearm is purchased as a gift, the transaction is not a straw purchase, and the person buying the gift is considered the end user. Straw purchases made outside of federally regulated dealerships are not illegal unless the gun is used in a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser. [1]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts