Handgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a shot gun (as opposed to a shotgun).

Is there a special epoxy to use on a large area fill-in, or will wood putty work? The picture doesn't show the depth of missing material very well. It is missing a nickel size hole between 1/4 and 3/8 inch deep.

Wood Writing implement Knife Blade Tool

Or should I just try to find a new stock, that'll be worth more than the 22 rifle?

·
Registered
845 Posts

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
I suggest that neither Acraglas nor epoxy-based wood putty would fix that damage sufficiently, so that it becomes permanent and doesn't doesn't break off.

I think that you really need to clean up the damage, undercut the edges of that damage, and then inlay a carefully-fitted piece of replacement wood.
That should be epoxied into place, probably with a Brownells product, sanded to fit the stock's shape, and then re-finished.

Thinking it over, I suggest that the cheapest and easiest repair might just be to buy a new stock.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
What was the value of the gun before it was grazed by a rabid beaver?

GW

Reactions: AZdave

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A new stock is roughly 1/2 the worth of the weapon. Since I'm retired a few dollars of epoxy and paint will be my first try.

I may even go native american (I was born in US, not a member of any tribe. Similar to EW.) on it with brass nails second. New stock last.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Ebay has the model 60 stock for $50-$60 plus shipping. Unless you have lots of free time it makes sense to just buy a used stock.
I googled the model 60 and from what I can tell, it is a fine little rifle worthy of a $60 repair.

GW

Reactions: denner12

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was shot with a 12g through a van seat. Shotgun was being removed from rear of van.

I'll do a thorough inspection prior to shooting with the model 60.

This weapon is part of my buy a weapon plan when Congress thinks about changing gun laws. If I'm lucky the model 60 will be shooting before any feel good law gets passed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.