Handgun Forum banner

How often do you strip and clean your gun

21 - 40 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
I hate being alienated by the service I happen to be associated with (Navy) but I use a very similar regiment of preventative maintenance as is dictated by our Material Maintenance Management system, or 3m for short. At work I hate the system because it involves lots of paperwork and shenanigans, but at home it's not a bad gig.

Prior to going to the range I give my firearms a once over. Perform a couple dry fire drills, verify the function of the firearm, and verify they are clean.

After firing I do a field strip level maintenance. Every time, no exceptions.

Firearms that don't get used often, or could be said to be in a storage like state get cleaned once a month or two depending on the firearm.

I don't have a system for detailed strip cleaning of my firearms. I seem to do it when I get the itch to. Maybe roughly every 6 months or so. Unfortunately I shoot on few enough occasion that this is probably too often, lol.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Very nice detail there gunners_mate. I really wish i knew how to do a very detailed cleaning as far as a complete breakdown. I think im gona end up watchin some youtube videos to get the full break down if there are any full break down videos that i feel is detailed enough for me to tackle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
In the summer when my house is warm, I like to strip and clean my gun. In the cooler months I leave my clothes on. Either way I like to clean it after every trip to the range.

·
Registered
379 Posts
youtube is where I learned to detail disassemble my glock and XD, lol. Great resource.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Good to know. I have a couple Glocks and will definitely end up with more im considering buying a XD for my next gun. Held one the other day at the local gun store and really liked the way it felt.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Then you'll be glad to know they detail strip almost exactly the same, :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
I take my grandsons (10 and 12) to the range to shoot our handguns. Started them on a Ruger and Colt 22LR, and they quickly wanted to shoot the wife's XD9 and my XD40. Then they wanted to shoot a .45, a caliber we don't own. So I rented an XD45acp at the range for them to shoot.

It was a bi-tone, but that wasn't initially obvious due to the carbon build-up. Didn't matter, the gun performed flawlessly, even with a 78 lb 10 year old shooting it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm an every other session kind of guy! Having said that... I do clean 'em after each session in the winter.. just seems to be good indoor therapy!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
If it sits in the safe for a year or so, it gets cleaned inside and out too. Doesn't take long and lets you know how the weather is in there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I picked up a used Ruger Super Blackhawk the other day.
The barrel was only slightly dirty, the cylinder dirtier, and the innards of the frame, grip frame, etc. were bone dry and sporting surface rust in many out-of-sight areas.
It cleaned up fine, but the condition of the pistol screamed ignorance and neglect.

A little wiping down with an oily rag and a drop, or so, of oil into the innards would have kept this revolver looking and working great without any serious "intervention" on anyone's part for many years.

Every used handgun I've ever bought has been dirty.
Obviously none owned by "clean after every shoot" crowd.
None, except this neglected Ruger, ever needed more than just a good cleaning, which I guess says something about modern guns and ammunition.

·
Registered
179 Posts
After each and every use, if it is going to save my life I want it to function properly. Must be the ole Army Sargent in my blood.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I clean after every range session from a field strip. I have used various stuff but anymore I use Break Free CLP for everything.

If it's a case of a new gun (a used gun especially) I'll field strip it, remove plastic or wood grips, and spray it with CLP until it literally drips and foams and every nook and cranny gets wet, inside and out. Usually I leave it in a sealed container for 24 hours and then the bore gets Hoppes and a nylon brush and then the whole things gets scrubbed with clean patches and clean cotton towels until it stops leaching CLP and is basically "dry".

I have a chamois that is impregnated with CLP that I wipe always after handling - repeated treatments like this seem to be cumulative. I have bare metal knife blades hanging on the wall (I used to make knives..) that were wiped once with Break Free after grinding and have hung on the wall (in the basement shop...in the Midwest humidity) since Summer of 2007. Not one spec of rust on any of them.

Once a year i use a high pressure spray de greaser like Break Free Powder Blast to flush the internal parts and I spray it until the runoff is clean. Then I warm it gently with a hair dryer and soak it in Break Free CLP again overnight and repeat the basic clean routine.

I have a Beretta 92S (old school 9mm from before it was accepted as the US Military standard) that has had thousands of rounds thru it and is about 33 years old. Looks like brand new because of this treatment.

VooDoo

21 - 40 of 139 Posts