Handgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Ruger GP 100 seven shot 357 mag in late 2018. I shot it at my local indoor range as well at my hunt lease several times using a variety of ammo. After shooting the shells would not eject. I would wait a while thinking it was heat and even used my knife blade under the rim to pull the expended brass out. Hoping things would "loosen up" with use. But no! I called Ruger and was told to send the revolver back to them.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Ruger just contacted me saying. They have inspected the gun and determined it was unrepairable and they will send me at no charge a new model 1771. The same GP 100 that I had.

They told me if I did not want the new one that the original gun would be unsafe to shoot. This statement floored me.
UNSAFE? No explanation about the issue.

Haven't got the new one yet.

Russ

· Administrator
14,301 Posts
On rare occasions, I have seen people who have had their guns replaced by the manufacturer. That's not the norm. And, something must have been outta spec.

Some people get the new gun, shoot it and enjoy it.

Others take the newly replaced gun, and sell it unfired... To get most of their money back.

What will you do?

· Registered
76 Posts
Hello fishrush, Many years ago, Ruger replaced a Security-Six revolver for me. A couple years ago, my new GP100 had issues, but different issues than yours. After the second trip back to Ruger, a nice lady soon called and said Ruger would like to replace the gun. I had the new one in about 2-3 weeks. I don't think customer service gets much better than that.

BTW, Over the years, I have sent back not only a Ruger or two, but also S&W, Colt, SIG, etc. Upon return, there was little information included from any of these manufacturers about what specifically was done...

· Registered
111 Posts
Hello fishrush, Many years ago, Ruger replaced a Security-Six revolver for me. A couple years ago, my new GP100 had issues, but different issues than yours. After the second trip back to Ruger, a nice lady soon called and said Ruger would like to replace the gun. I had the new one in about 2-3 weeks. I don't think customer service gets much better than that.

BTW, Over the years, I have sent back not only a Ruger or two, but also S&W, Colt, SIG, etc. Upon return, there was little information included from any of these manufacturers about what specifically was done...
I like some Ruger firearms and I hear constant reports about how great their Customer Service is. Owners rave about Ruger's CS.
Won't it be a better company to have excellent Quality Control so that no one has to contact Customer Service for repairs?

All these reports about great CS make me reticent to purchase more Rugers.

· Registered
51 Posts
I like some Ruger firearms and I hear constant reports about how great their Customer Service is. Owners rave about Ruger's CS.
Won't it be a better company to have excellent Quality Control so that no one has to contact Customer Service for repairs?

We don't only use CS when a firearm fails. Personally i have used them to re-blue, change sights, regulate FIXED Sights to my carry ammo, replace damaged parts on used guns. Probably more i am forgetting because i am OLD. Have also dealt with JIM CLARK, COLT, S&W, SPRINGFIELD, KIMBER, SIG, CZ USA, MARLIN, REMINGTON, WINCHESTER, MOSSBERG, BRNO. Doesn't mean they are bad, just that i shoot alot! But RUGER stands out for how customers are treated. *Look at RUGER production and sales numbers - simple math - with so many guns 1% is a large number. You probably already knew this because you used the word reticent in your post.

· Registered
7 Posts

They DO have excellent QC service. Sure you hear a lot about returns and whatnot but when you take into consideration how many pistiols revolvers and long guns Ruger has out there then it stands to reason there will be glitches and problems. My Ruger Blackhawk in .357 is 46 years old and still going strong. Never had a problem with it and it's never even been to a gunsmith. I also have a Ruger p-93 and a Mk II and a 10/22. All are 20-30 years old and have never had a problem. So yes I would say their quality is spot on. I have a Smith & Wesson Model 19 that I got NIB in 1984 that has a broken trigger pin and S&W absolutely will NOT touch it to repair it because they no longer make that model even though it came with a "Garantee for Life". So Now I have a very nice $800 paper weight.

· Registered
706 Posts
Well, just to finish this post off. I received my "new in box" replacement Ruger GP 100 today.
That is good news.
When you get time let us know how the GP100 runs at the range.
*I have always had very good luck with Ruger and glad you have a GP100 back to test.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts