·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gold Hunter Digs 60-Foot-Deep Hole In Front Yard
Fire Officials Shut Down Makeshift Mine

POSTED: 10:01 am CDT June 15, 2006
UPDATED: 10:14 am CDT June 15, 2006
MONTCLAIR, Calif. -- California man Henry Mora has big dreams of gold.

Mora said his electronic gold detector began beeping near his front patio two weeks ago.

So Mora started digging. And digging.

He said he only intended to go down three or four feet, but the detector kept hinting he was getting closer.

By the time authorities fenced off his property this week, the hole was 60 feet deep.

Fire officials found two men Mora had hired inside the unreinforced hole using a bucket and rope to remove dirt.

Fire Capt. Rich Baldwin shut down the makeshift mine and said it's amazing no one got killed.

Baldwin said Mora will have to pay for a licensed engineer to shore-up and fill his hole.

Mora admitted that his search got "totally out of hand."

Still, he said he doesn't regret starting the dig, because he thinks there's still gold in the yard.

[IMG:240:180:ca01d26cc4]http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/6740/9374604240x1808vj.jpg[/img:ca01d26cc4]

G

·
Wow, I'm surprised he didn't hit water... When I bought my 82 year old house, the original well was only 23ft deep (hand dug). Which I used for the first year... It quickly went dry! That sucked! One never realizes how important water is...until it's gone.

Anyway, The new one is 225 feet deep. I've got enough water now to supply the whole freakin neighborhood! :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts