Handgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a nice used FNP 9 recently. I took it to the range yesterday. I put 100 rounds of WWB through it. It shot great. No problems, accurate, easy recoil, nice trigger. I know these have been discontinued and replaced by the FNX. Maybe someone out there can tell me what makes the X a better pistol.
I had fun with the pistol. I've looked around, spare parts are a little hard to find. At least I got it at a fair price.

·
Super Moderator
12,601 Posts
The FNX is a striker fired gun. The FNP was still a hammer fired gun.

I had an FNP years ago, once upon a time. Got it free from FN for running the FN Forum.

2 things to watch for. Not all of them - but some of them had an issue - When an area of polymer near the hammer warmed up, the gun wouldn't work. It didn't happen by firing the gun (it was not near the barrel) - but when people would leave the gun out in the sun a while (like at an outdoor range).

I ran the FN Forum by myself back at at the time the FNP came out (for the owner, who was busy). And, this was a topic some people talked about because if effected a certain % of people.

Also, I personally found that if I left the mags loaded a while, they wouldn't lock the slide back when empty, Once again - some people had this problem, and some did not. I think FN finally started using better springs because that issue seemed to stop after a while. I had FN replace my mags 1 time over the issue. Back then, there was a guy in charge of customer service for FN, and he was amazing, They eventually got rid of him because I think he was costing them too much money. But he was amazing. He would REALLY take care of the customer. We were all sad when they got rid of him.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My FNP is about the favorite in the house. I don't care for the SA/DA action, and that is why is isn't the #1 here. It also chokes on standard HP ammo. I carried EFMJ in it till Hrnady came out with thier Critical Duty/Defence line. The profile is suitable for the ramp and it eats that stuff like candy.
Mine is in 40 S&W, very accurate, very reliable, and I never ran into the problems Shipwreck describes, but everyone won't. I guess. Still something to watch for.
BTW, I don't know the answer to the "better", it probably isn't, just another feature or two, but all the X's I've seen are still hammer fired.
Enjoy.

Reactions: 54rambler

·
Super Moderator
12,601 Posts
My FNP is about the favorite in the house. I don't care for the SA/DA action, and that is why is isn't the #1 here.
Mine is in 40 S&W, very accurate, very reliable, and I never ran into the problems Shipwreck describes, but everyone won't. I guess. Still something to watch for.
BTW, I don't know the answer to the "better", it probably isn't, just another feature or two, but all the X's I've seen are still hammer fired.
Enjoy.
Oh, you are right. It is the FNS that is striker fired. Never mind.

FNP, FNX, FNS. Too similar names to remember... :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Oh, you are right. It is the FNS that is striker fired. Never mind.

FNP, FNX, FNS. Too similar names to remember... :)
I've been Jonesing for a FNS, but current times and the release have kept the prices to where I'm not sure I want to pay. Reviews have been all over the radar too. Maybe some day.
Probably just stick with my 23 though, I always gravitate back to it in a hurry. The only thing in the house that makes me want to carry it these days is the Ruger but they are so different it really is a change. Still haven't warmed up to the 9mm either. I guess I really never will, but not opposed to it as much as in the past.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had an FNS 9 before and found it to be a very accurate and reliable gun. I'm not sure how FN supports them now. They don't support the FNP, They may not support the FNS either. You might as well look at the current models, the FNX and 509, and hope they don't replace them anytime soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts