Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
I like the arched - it was mostly all I saw in the 1990s. Newer 1911s I have had had flat, but I like the arched.

I remember reading somewhere that the difference between the flat and arched can help/hurt a shooter who is having difficulty shooting high/low.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I prefer the arched-it seems to wedge my hand up a little higher against the tang safety.

The GI .45s I used in the Army had the arched housings (M1911A!s) and maybe I got used to this.

Or maybe it just feels more like the curve of a revolver's backstrap. I can't recall chapter and verse but I'm sure it in Genesis somewhere that God made man's hand to fit a single action's gripstraps.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Mine has a flat mainspring housing, but........I have the little plastic arched housing in the box. Obviously they can be changed out. I inherited the one I have several years ago. I grew up shooting that pistol and it was (and is) a great shooter. I'll edit a picture in this post later.

·
Registered
201 Posts
jwkimber45 said:
...mainspring housings???

Its all personal preference, I like the flat. Seems to fit my hand better. All my 1911s have been changed to flat MS housing.
I think in this day and time we may need to look at the BOBTAIL MSH along with the flat and arched as an option--the dang things feel good and conceal well--I have become a great fan of them.

RJ

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
I just read on the 1911 site that the original was flat. But during the transition from revolvers to semi-auto, many of the shooters were do used to the feel of the revolver grip, and they also tended to shoot low w/ the gun. Apparently, by having a round mainspring housing, this helped those folks adjust, and it also helps w/ people who shoot low using the flat one.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RONNIE J said:
jwkimber45 said:
...mainspring housings???

Its all personal preference, I like the flat. Seems to fit my hand better. All my 1911s have been changed to flat MS housing.
I think in this day and time we may need to look at the BOBTAIL MSH along with the flat and arched as an option--the dang things feel good and conceal well--I have become a great fan of them.

RJ
I haven't had the opportunity to play with bobtail 1911 as of yet. I'd like to.

·
Registered
201 Posts
[/quote]

I haven't had the opportunity to play with bobtail 1911 as of yet. I'd like to.[/quote]

I got an email from a friend in Tenn last night who told me he finally got to hold a fondle a BOBTAIL at the range yesterday and now saw why I had fell in love with them.
8)
I bobtailed a KIMBER CDP PRO CARRY II, these are already melted for carry and with the bobtail it is one sweet carry piece.
RJ

Tenn

·
Registered
201 Posts
CDP JUST LIKE JS'S BUT

Shipwreck said:
JS needs to bobtail his kimber :)
This is what JS"S would look like with the BOBTAIL--no did not hurt--it never flinched :) :)
[IMG:640:480:e64d6dfab3]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/RONJ38/723350f0.jpg[/img:e64d6dfab3]

Ron

·
Registered
201 Posts
js said:
Who did that for you? What about mags... Do have to alter them to?
I did the BOBTAIL work and US Anodizing did the frame for me after I finished--any mag that works before the change will work after the change just as is.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Yes, any mags will work still. They just cut the frame and put in a custom mainspring housing. Ed Brown makes the parts, I believe.

I have held an Ed Brown Kobra Karry w/ the bobtail, and it is sweet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts