Handgun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I've probably reloaded 50000 rounds. I've had one dud... Some how I killed the primer, or the primer didn't go off, regardless 1 out of 50000 rounds, that's far better than the factory rounds I've shot. I was just curious because I don't think I'm the exception here. The problem is that it seems most people have a bad taste in their mouths when it comes to reloads... What's your experiences like?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I've only had a couple of bad rounds in the 35+ years I've been loading. All of those were in the first year or so when I started out. I've had many more bad factory rounds in the same time period.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2400, your experience sounds something like mine! Great!

Vom Kriege, I hope you caught it before your follow up shot... I've got a couple of those, but they were not my reloads. Fortunately, I had the good sense to check the barrel before I fired again...
A double powder charge is about the only thing I can think that might be worse, you don't get the chance to check for a lodged bullett...

I'd rather it go click or floop than boom! :oops:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:smt102 No, it would only be an estimate anyway...

I buy primers now 10,000 at a time to maximize the Hazardous Material charge. Powder by 8lb kegs (for the same reason) and bullets where I get the best volume break... Money up front, but I can shoot for a year or two with that... :smt068
Use to cast my own, but now that's too much work and I can better afford the bullets... Back then casting my own saved a BUNDLE though! :smt023

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Hal8000 said:
:smt102 No, it would only be an estimate anyway...
The best I can guestimate is over 350K. I used to cast tens of thousands of bullets in the winter and swage my own jacketed bullets too! So that I could shoot the rest of the year. Now I buy my cast and jacked bullets.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Really though, when you reload, you can shoot more, because it's cheaper! I hear ya! I think you have me beat...
It's a great hobby with in a hobby, eh? :-D

I think I'm wearing my elbow out! :smt012

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Hal8000 said:
Wow! Really though, when you reload, you can shoot more, because it's cheaper! I hear ya! I think you have me beat...
It's a great hobby with in a hobby, eh? :-D

I think I'm wearing my elbow out! :smt012
It is a great hobby indeed. We've added a bunch of loading equipment this year so we may need to build a new, BIGGER bench.:-D My wife LOVES loading, she's loaded over 15k rounds so far this year. She likes pulling the handle on the Dillons.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's wonderful she enjoys the same hobby... I wish mine did! :cry:

I'm using a Lee turret press on a loading pedestal. It's slow and a little unstable, but I'm use to it... It allows me to reload while still in the presents of my family... It's OK, but somewhat of a hassle... It would be fantastic for some one who lived in an apartment... I have a nice shop, but it looks more like Fibber McGee's closet at the moment.... Shaw!

Someday I'm going to have a Dillon... Oh yes, someday! :-D

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Hal8000 said:
That's wonderful she enjoys the same hobby... I wish mine did! :cry:
Someday I'm going to have a Dillon... Oh yes, someday! :-D
She just bought me a used RL 1050 and $500 of stuff to go with it. :-D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Reloading sounds like a fun and relaxing thing to do. When I get my own place, I definately think I'll look into investing in a loading station. 8)

How much does the equipment run? Is it different for every different type of round?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It depends on the equipment you choose to use. I went the cheap route, and I spent around 300 dollars. I still use the stuff... That's excluding the components...

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Hal8000 said:
It depends on the equipment you choose to use. I went the cheap route, and I spent around 300 dollars. I still use the stuff... That's excluding the components...
I PM'd you.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have loaded some ammunition that didn't fire, using standard primers with H110 or Winchester 296. One very cold day I was testing a batch of .45 Colt loaded with a 240gr. JHP and 296. The primer fired and drove the bullet and powder charge up into the barrel. The primer compressed the powder charge into a cylindrical pellet that stayed pretty much together until I dropped it into my hand.

It was cold enough that day that water would freeze. But I was experimenting, and had been told to use standard primers instead of magnum. So, my ammunition didn't perform unexpectedly.

And I have on occasion ruined a case catching it on the mouth of the die.

For the record, my log book shows about 180,000 rounds loaded/fired.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Mistakes Loading

I have made a ton of mistakes getting everything up and going. My first batch was 45s and I didn't tapper crimp enough. Had to bring them back home and recrimp them. I bought a gauge and now I use that on every one of them. The 357s I have had 2 primers that didn't light off and one I didn't get power in and it stuck the bullet in the barrel. That was no fun as I had to drive the bullet out. :roll:
Being mostly self taugh I have made more than a few mistakes. I am very careful and aware of what I am doing while reloading now. :lol:

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Ever make/shoot a BAD reloaded bullet?
You know I never really read what you asked. Yes I made many bad bullets when I first started casting. It took a while to get the mold temp, lead temp and me all coordinated together. But all I had to do was remelt the bad bullets and start over. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

G

·
I don't reload yet, but would be a pretty fun hobby. I do however have an older friend who's really into reloading and all I have to do is take my empty brass or hulls to him and he reloads them for me at a very low price. Usually only 5-10 cents a round depending on the cartidge. The only bad experiences I had was when I had him make me 100 rounds of extra light .38 special target loads. No, i'm not a sissy when it comes to recoil. I just wanted to have lots of shooting fun at a very low price. Anyways, while shooting I could definatly tell they were very light loads because not only was there no recoil, but also I could see the bullet leaving the barrel. Well, of the 100 rounds I shot I had 4 duds, 7 bullets that barley left the barrel, and 1 that got stuck in the barrel.

I don't blame him at all. It was my fault because I wanted such custom loads just because I was being a cheapskate. Anyways, when I do get ammo from him I just have him reload them with the proper load and I have yet to have a problem again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts