Handgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your dream gun? I am not talking about some Class 3 gun you will never have a chance at buying (if that were the case, I'd want a P90).

I am referring to a gun that you COULD buy, if you just had the funds for it. What would it be?

I really like the Bilenium, but that's an aweful lot of money to spend on a Beretta. And, if I had one, I would never shoot it.

Right now, though, I really want a Nighthawk 1911 - about a $2200 pistol.

What do you really want?

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the MC Operator would have had a magwell and maybe checkering, I probably would have bought it instead of my TRP.

While it isn't expensive, I like the look of the stainless GI, but I want the lowered ejection port and the better sights of the mil spec. I wish they made a mil spec w/ the straight horizontal slide serations. Oh well...

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I was reading the stats again, comparing the GI and Mil Spec - looks like the Mil Spec also has a throated barrel and polished feedramp. There is a stainless GI at the local shop that I really like the look of. But, I don't wanna chance it - I'd also have to replace the sight almost immediately.

If I don't get an extra pt time job I'm trying for to save money for a Nighthawk 1911, I will decide if I want to buy a Mil Spec, or save up til the end of the year and buy a Kimber Warrior or Springer Military Operator.

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I admit that I am spoiled - I like the look of the skeletonized hammer and trigger - that in and of itself doesn't really affect reliability. I also prefer the look of a magwell, and I like the checkering.

That being said, I have seen a lot of pics of GI type models on the 1911 forums - and they have slowly been peaking my interest. I kind of want the old style trigger and hammer. I would probably change the thump saftey afterwards, and still ad a longer guide rod - but other than the safety, I planned to leave it with the stock look. I saw a Colt yesterday that peaked my interest - it was new at the local shop. The quality of the gun was horrific, though. I was very disappointed.

What I have seen is that many of these nice guns I am seeing pics of are really customized guns, worked over by a smith and refinished - I like the look, which is still the basic style on the outside - But I guess I can't get a decent trigger w/o some custom work when U buy the bottom of the line entrance gun. If I have to buy a GI and then spend another $200 or more to change a few things, then I may as well just buy a higher priced gun to begin with.

So, unless I run across a better specimen of a entry level Colt, chances are I will just save up a little more money and buy a KImber, or something similiar. Kimber has gone back to the internal extractor, so I think many of their reliability problems will go away. And, even Colt is using MIM parts now.

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Method said:
Brand new to the gun world, and I can't wait till I make my final decision. Looking seriously at the USP-C 9mm as my first gun. Absolutely feel in love with it when I first held it. Rented one at the range this Friday and it was a dream. :-D
I got my USP compact 9mm almost 3 weeks ago. It is my 2nd fav gun. It is a great pistol :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.