Handgun Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good Morning, Mr. Barham,

It appears that you know quite a lot about handgun shooting.

While I don't want to delve too deeply into this, what many "trainers" fail to teach is not getting shot. In fact, there are only teo controlling rules of gunfighting:

1. Don't get in one
2. If Rule 1 is unavoidable, don't get shot.

Within 10', a tactical shooter will not use sights. It's strictly point shooting. Keep in mind that there's at least one bad guy who's almost close enough to touch who's putting rounds on you. That ain't a sanguine situation. So survivors have to learn to point shoot while getting the heck outta a bad guy's line of sight.

BTW, while we were at the range, there was an "instructor" a firing line right nest to us. He was teaching his client how to shoot group's in a bullseye target. He was teaching target shooting to a man who wanted to know tactical shooting. My friends with whom I shot wanted to know tactical shooting. Neither had ever point shot before. Within a couple mags, both had the concept dialed it & were comfortable point shooting. And this was at ~21'. In a couple weeks, I'm going to help them learn to acquire sight picture, draw, and fire while scanning for the bad guy's buddy. That's tactical shooting. Target shooting is worthless, or worse, for saving one's life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brownie's (as he's known on several forums) article does not address the draw, and like most of his articles and posts, is just a defense of point shooting techniques as practiced in the WWII era.
Hi Mr. Barham,

I will guarantee you that every law enforcement agency in America teaches point shooting. It isn't difficult to master. I've had new shooters grasping it within a couple mags.

In a gunfight, it's imperative to put as many rounds as possible as quickly as possible on a bad guy while getting the heck behind a barrier, or, ever better, the heck outta Dodge. Remember Rule 2: DON'T GET SHOT!!! The naive call it spray and pray. Survivors call it suppressive or cover fire.

In the realm of gunfighting, Murphy was a optimist.

It a gunfight, any hit on a bad guy is a good hit. Some are better than others, but all hits are good hits.

Never measure a gunfight by rounds fired. Measure gunfights by whether the good guy (cops) lived.

I don't care whether cops fired 200 rounds at a bad guy and every single round missed . Number of rounds fired is an amusing stat for the easily amused. All I want to know is that the cops live. That's the only metric that measures success.

A bad guy with a destroyed heart can live another 8 seconds, long enough to kill a good guy.

Only a fool would trade his life for a bad guy's life.

At close range, aligning sights might just cause a good guy to become evidence & autopsied the following day.

Remember that in a gunfight, a bad guy wants a good guy dead. That should be a sobering thought for survivors.

Many bad guys have had military training; if not, they'll train. It's probably a safe bet that all bangers train.

Bad guys rarely commit bad acts alone. A survivor has to scan an area for a bad guy's buddy(ies).

One good guy vs. one bad guy = bad odds for the good guy.

There is one and only one assured way of surviving a gunfight: DON'T GET IN ONE. Avoid at all costs. Don't go into areas "claimed" by bangers. If a good guy can run away and survive, that's the choice he oughta take.

It's much more wise to be a live witness than a dead hero.

I'd fear an LA banger more than ISIS.

Target shooting is not tactical shooting. A great target shooter does not translate to a great tactical shooter. They are very different concepts.

Here are a couple links to books that every survivor ought to have in his library:

https://www.amazon.com/Gangs-Understanding-Professional-Development-Publishing/dp/1563251477

https://play.google.com/store/books...O1&gclid=COHj3YG-kc8CFYmyMgodbRoMvw&gclsrc=ds

Best of luck to you. And I have enjoyed your posts.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
MuleDeer, you are replying to a very old thread, and to someone who nowadays visits here very infrequently.

Further, you are, kinda, preaching to the choir. This stuff gets discussed a lot here, and most of your (very valid) points have already been well covered.

Oh...yeah...almost forgot: Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you here.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Good ole "point shootin"...been doin it for years. Deliberate smooth draw. Fast ain't no good if you can't hit that 2 inch red dot at 7, 10, 15 yards. The red dot isn't shootin back...! Personal technique applied. Great post! Thanks guy's

41 - 47 of 47 Posts